PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

View Poll Results: If you have a purple-ringed Mogul, how is your GPS?
It works almost 100% of the time 12 75.00%
It is very spotty and finicky most of the time 1 6.25%
I had a grey Mogul previously and the GPS is worse on this purple one I have now 0 0%
I had a grey Mogul previously and the GPS is better on the purple one I have now 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2008, 12:18 AM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

EtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Which of you have the purple ring around your Mogul and how is your GPS?

Okay so now this makes more sense. I had an old grey band around my old Mogul and my GPS was horrible... it would only work like half the time. I could never figure out why my friends who have Moguls all had instant locks and no issues at all with their GPS... Then I got my new Mogul and it has no issues either.

Well after seeing the post about the purple ring today, I just realized that all of us have the purple-ringed Mogul instead of the grey. My manager at work has the grey ring around his and complains about GPS all the time.

Basically, I want to know how the GPS is performing for those with the purple ring and if you've had a grey before, how its performance was. You can easily notice the color of your ring if you tilt it in the light.

Comcast EXTREME:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/584166480.png
Old 05-10-2008, 12:40 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

akijikan is keeping up the good workakijikan is keeping up the good workakijikan is keeping up the good work
Re: Which of you have the purple ring around your Mogul and how is your GPS?

purple? grey? um, what exactly are you talking about?
Old 05-10-2008, 12:41 AM
tt7
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

tt7 is just getting started

Grey ring here, no problems with GPS at all... I use livesearch and no2chem 5066 rom....
Old 05-10-2008, 12:51 AM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Threadstarter

EtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by akijikan View Post
purple? grey? um, what exactly are you talking about?
The ring that surrounds the Mogul's screen... standard issue is grey... but the newer ones seem to have a purple tint to them.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:55 AM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt7 View Post
Grey ring here, no problems with GPS at all... I use livesearch and no2chem 5066 rom....
You can use it indoors, you can use it multiple times without having to soft reset, and it doesn't stop working after a few hours? And by stop working, I mean if you close out of the GPS program and use your phone for a few hours, the GPS starts working again? All of this with a fix is <10 seconds?

Don't get me wrong, the GPS on my grey Mogul worked... but it would take it about 2-5 minutes to get the initial lock, I had to be outside, and it would sometimes freeze the phone making me have to soft reset.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:00 AM
The Pusher Man
Pocket PC: BB
Carrier: Sprint - Simply Everything

Lsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

The 3 in my house are not purple but do have a "Tint" to them. One was bought around the time when they first came out and the other 2 where purchased in the last 2 months. Gps works the same on all of them. Click it and in 5 to 15 seconds I got a lock on Garmin/Gmaps/Live search.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:02 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: sprint

tc3jg is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to tc3jg

When i had my grey ringed mogul I never used the GPS as it was out after i got a replacement. The moguls with the purple ring also do not have the pocketpc Sig at the bottom under the screens......Us cellular now have the 6800 also and the ring around their screen is a tint of brushed grey/black look which is extremley nice looking and it has the Htc Logo at the top instead of an Alltell, or sprint logo.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:54 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul

fcastro is just getting started
Arrow Re: Which of you have the purple ring around your Mogul and how is your GPS?

Yes I actually started the thread yesterday and took some pictures.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=26102&page=3

My friend also has the mogul and his has the purple frame around the screen and he also got a refurbished one from sprint after his was totaled and again the purple one.

Anyone confirm this GPS issue? I will stick to purple if it has better gps...But could this also be a software issue? Perhaps the grey/silver phones don't have the latest firmware???
Old 05-10-2008, 03:51 AM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Threadstarter

No, its not a software issue... I even went back to the 5060 ROM I was using on my grey version... GPS functions much better on my "purple" version...
Old 05-10-2008, 10:24 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D

miguelfp1 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmiguelfp1 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmiguelfp1 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmiguelfp1 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to miguelfp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealRemnant View Post
You can use it indoors, you can use it multiple times without having to soft reset, and it doesn't stop working after a few hours? And by stop working, I mean if you close out of the GPS program and use your phone for a few hours, the GPS starts working again? All of this with a fix is <10 seconds?

Don't get me wrong, the GPS on my grey Mogul worked... but it would take it about 2-5 minutes to get the initial lock, I had to be outside, and it would sometimes freeze the phone making me have to soft reset.
Mine's a grey-ringed Mogul, and the GPS works beautifully! Always gets a lock in less than 10 seconds. (I got it in January as a replacement for my original Mogul bought in September 2007)

If one of my posts helped you, don't forget to click !!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan