PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Very Hit Or Miss Evdo Speeds (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=25323)

greggor43 04-30-2008 02:08 AM

Very Hit Or Miss Evdo Speeds

I am an Alltel PPC-6800 user, who just did the Alltel ROM update from HTC for EVDO Rev A & BT & GPS. When I do a speed test under BBR mobile test using the 1mb test file I get speeds from 250k - 700k. Hardly EVDO Rev A. I am in an Alltel EVDO area. I will do some tests again while roaming (im traveling to places where Alltel does not have towers) next week to see if I can get EVDO speeds roaming on Sprint.

Anyone know of a good mobile speed test website I can pull up via my PPC-6800?

Hafrust 04-30-2008 02:35 AM

Re: Very Hit Or Miss Evdo Speeds

I use www.mobilespeedtest.com. And FYI...with Rev A, you won't see a significant increase in your download speeds. It mainly increases upload speeds. I was getting download speeds around 750kbps before flashing to the new ROM and 830kbps after.

dschoenike 04-30-2008 07:39 AM

I am also looking for a way to check my moguls' evdo speed. I've done it using wmwifirouter through my pc, but cant figure out how to do it right on my phone. When i try using mobilespeedtest.com, pie crashes and closes out. Is that happening because i dont have enough ram (21mb free)? I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but is tethering with the mogul through a pc, an "accurate" way to check data speeds? Because if it is, i'm quite happy with my results (1250 down 526 up) Thanks guys, dschoenike

Limegrntaln 04-30-2008 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dschoenike (Post 266452)
I am also looking for a way to check my moguls' evdo speed. I've done it using wmwifirouter through my pc, but cant figure out how to do it right on my phone. When i try using mobilespeedtest.com, pie crashes and closes out. Is that happening because i dont have enough ram (21mb free)? I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but is tethering with the mogul through a pc, an "accurate" way to check data speeds? Because if it is, i'm quite happy with my results (1250 down 526 up) Thanks guys, dschoenike

As I see it, with my WiFi router I am pulling 1050 download, and I have pulled 926 down with just evdo. So not a huge difference. But wifi speed test pulls off the speed of your wifi connection and what your phone can handle. I have a 7 meg line going into my wifi router, but I am only pulling just over 1 through the phone. Im on cricket. So I am seeing some pretty good speeds for EVDO in the phoenix area. So to answer your question, through the PC is not an acurate way. getting 1250 down you may only get 500-600 EVDO, but you will have to test it "unplugged" to see that.