PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2008, 07:49 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC 6800
Carrier: Bell Mobility

nuelo is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Are You Reading eBooks?

When I refer to "eBooks" I mean any format containing readable material: CHM, PDF, HTML, Plain Text.

I have found that the easiest of these (easiest on the eyes and scroll bar) is CHM. Unfortunately, there aren't that many good CHM eBooks sources out there. Most of the best eBooks are PDF but reading PDF is NOT FUN!

I have also tried converting PDF to CHM but without the professionally authored navigation buttons - it just isn't the same.

What format do you use most for eBook reading on your device?
Radio Version: 3.42.50
SPL: nueSPL 2.47
"To copy ideas from one person is plagiarism. To copy ideas from many people is research."
Old 04-25-2008, 07:55 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6700
Carrier: Verizon

RHMJR is a n00b
Re: Are You Reading eBooks?

I've been using e-reader.com since 2001 - excellent selection of books, and good software. I haven't really read a traditional book since then - almost exclusively electronic - I like the portability, having my books with me wherever I find a spare minute to read, opening right up to the page I left off, etc., etc. I started with e-reader when I was using a palm based unit, made the switch to windows mobile in 2006 and brought e-reader and my library with me.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:00 AM
Tweety...Bear (chick)
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: Sprint

TweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TweetyBear Send a message via Yahoo to TweetyBear

i use pdf and lit. read them with msreader and something else

Old 04-25-2008, 08:07 AM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuelo View Post
When I refer to "eBooks" I mean any format containing readable material: CHM, PDF, HTML, Plain Text.

I have found that the easiest of these (easiest on the eyes and scroll bar) is CHM. Unfortunately, there aren't that many good CHM eBooks sources out there. Most of the best eBooks are PDF but reading PDF is NOT FUN!

I have also tried converting PDF to CHM but without the professionally authored navigation buttons - it just isn't the same.

What format do you use most for eBook reading on your device?
I use the MicroSofts Reader occassionally, but I use Audible more. They have decent rates. But these are spoken books, no words.

http://www.microsoft.com/reader/downloads/ppc.mspx

http://www.audible.com

Old 04-25-2008, 11:01 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro & Palm Pre

Machinehead knows their stuffMachinehead knows their stuffMachinehead knows their stuffMachinehead knows their stuffMachinehead knows their stuffMachinehead knows their stuff

There's a handy little add-on for MS Word that allows you to convert any document to a lit file. It's free from MS.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:31 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 and loving it

whatsinaname is just getting started

I personally love ubook

http://www.gowerpoint.com/index.html

It does a lot, and I personally like the day/night skin (one is white black text, other is black with green text for night reading in bed)

I have used ubook for a long time and mostly use .txt or htm ebooks. Give it a try.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:55 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC 6800
Carrier: Bell Mobility
Threadstarter

nuelo is just getting started

OK, what if you found a book in PDF format. How would you read it? Adobe is not sufficient. Don't tell me you scroll back and forth again and again to read the sentences...
Old 04-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Note 2

bkhoste knows their stuffbkhoste knows their stuffbkhoste knows their stuffbkhoste knows their stuffbkhoste knows their stuffbkhoste knows their stuff

E-Reader is great, I have been using it for years. I love all the features it has.
Gadget/Phone History: Motorola DynaTAC 8000x; Casio BOSS; Palm Vx; Palm m130; Palm Tungsten T; Sanyo 7300; Sanyo Katana; PPC-6700; Titan; Mogul; Touch Pro, Palm Pre; HTC EVO, Motorola Photon; Samsung Galaxy Note 2 .
Old 04-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Existentialism is keeping up the good workExistentialism is keeping up the good work

Nope, I've tried, but I just can't get into it. I use Audible instead, Audiobooks are just so much better, unabridged of course.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 and loving it

whatsinaname is just getting started

I avoid pdf ebooks, for your exact reason. I have never found a reader that works well for pdf. I think pdf is just not "there" for mobile screens. maybe someday. until then I just search for txt, htm etc books. It is difficult tho because most of the computer books that I would use for reference are in pdf. I carry copies of them just for emergency, but have the real reference book on the shelf to read.

I sometimes use audio books, but I am old school and like to read.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan