PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   New Mogul User (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=15577)

Nuked53 01-07-2008 11:35 PM

New Mogul User

So, my mogul *should* be here on Thursday, I'm pretty darn excited haha

I chose the Mogul over the Touch recently because I'm a college student (yay for the planner) and a BIG texter (13,xxx in the last month), plus the slide out keyboard is kinda cool.

What I was wondering was what should I expect when starting up my Mogul for the first time? I mean what are some things i should be worried about? I just recently discovered that it might not be as easy to SMS as I would like, and my friend that works at sprint says that sometimes he gets calls saying their Mogul froze up on them.

One thing that I've noticed that I like about the Mogul is how customizable it is, I was wanting an iPhone for awhile just because i liked the OS, and when I realized that I could put the OS on other phones, I decided on the Mogul, because of the keyboard, i was also looking at the Voyager, and I still might if i decide i don't like the Mogul.

So, with that being said, what do you guys suggest i get for my phone so that it runs a little smoother out of the box? Could I get links with some of the suggestions too? That would be great.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to look at my thread, and thank you even more if you reply.

Blake

Darkness231 01-08-2008 12:03 AM

You should take a look at New Mogul Owner...first downloads?. Ive uploaded a bunch of them in the last post which you can see HERE
also PPC-6800/Titan FAQ's

xweaponx 01-08-2008 12:15 AM

Welcome Nuked53!

As Darkness231 already has indicated, please begin by reading a few of the beginner forums and sticky threads. There is a tremendous amount of information here and as you have already concluded, you will find just about everything here to customize your phone to your liking. From iphone themes to the Touch cube, complete theme ideas, hack, tweaks and even custom rom's to tailor your device to your liking. There are some seriously smart & creative geekers here...

Feel free to ask whenever the answer has eluded you and your searches are fruitless; we want newcomers to exercise the search features as the moderators and crew have done well to make finding your request simple and easy!

Welcome to PPCGeeks!

Darkness231 01-08-2008 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xweaponx (Post 156944)
Welcome Nuked53!
We want newcomers to exercise the search features as the moderators and crew have done well to make finding your request simple and easy!

Welcome to PPCGeeks!

Just remember when using the search function any word that is less than 3 characters has to have a * at the end for the search to be executed correctly

[sammich] 01-08-2008 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xweaponx (Post 156944)
Welcome Nuked53!

As Darkness231 already has indicated, please begin by reading a few of the beginner forums and sticky threads. There is a tremendous amount of information here and as you have already concluded, you will find just about everything here to customize your phone to your liking. From iphone themes to the Touch cube, complete theme ideas, hack, tweaks and even custom rom's to tailor your device to your liking. There are some seriously smart & creative geekers here...

Feel free to ask whenever the answer has eluded you and your searches are fruitless; we want newcomers to exercise the search features as the moderators and crew have done well to make finding your request simple and easy!

Welcome to PPCGeeks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkness231 (Post 156947)
Just remember when using the search function any word that is less than 3 characters has to have a * at the end for the search to be executed correctly

Dang dudes, you sound like forum moderators :wink:

They said it all! The list of first downloads is pretty much everything you need to get started and release the power of the Mogul!

Just don't go overboard with software or you'll find that you're closing programs just to start the camera!

drew826 01-08-2008 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuked53 (Post 156921)
One thing that I've noticed that I like about the Mogul is how customizable it is, I was wanting an iPhone for awhile just because i liked the OS, and when I realized that I could put the OS on other phones, I decided on the Mogul, because of the keyboard, i was also looking at the Voyager, and I still might if i decide i don't like the Mogul.

I hope you meant interface rather than OS. The iPhone operating system will not run on other phones. Currently the only usable operating systems on the Mogul are Windows Mobile 5 and 6; the only possible future operating systems will be linux-based. Don't plan on ever seeing the iPhone OS on the Mogul.

That being said, there are programs that emulate the iPhone look and feel. You can install themes that look like the iPhone and programs that let you navigate the touchscreen with your fingers similar to the iPhone. I don't know where to find them though, and expect them to be a little buggy.

Good luck!

Nuked53 01-08-2008 01:00 AM

Actually, yea, I meant interface, I had a brain fart haha

drew826 01-08-2008 01:12 AM

Haha, no problem. Just glad to know you didn't make an ill-informed decision.

Nuked53 01-08-2008 02:12 AM

Also, I was wondering if there is a notification light like there has been on all my other phones, whether it blinks red or anything doesn't matter, it'd be great if there was one, in all the videos I've seen there's a green service light (i don't know what that is, but that's what i'm assuming since that's what the green light has been on my other phones) but I wasn't sure about a notification light

[sammich] 01-08-2008 09:01 AM

Yes. There is an orange flashing notification light for any missed calls, emails, or whatever. The phone will flash green when it is fine.

Also, when WiFi is on, another green light on the left flashes. When battery is low, the green light on the right side begins to flash red. When bluetooth is on, the left side flashes blue! Quite a light show!

Left Side:
Bluetooth-blue
WiFi-Green

Right Side:
Notification-orange
Low battery-red
Standard-green

yakky 01-08-2008 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saumaun (Post 157071)
Yes. There is an orange flashing notification light for any missed calls, emails, or whatever. The phone will flash green when it is fine.

Don't forget that the green flashes when the phone is locked up too (and NOT fine)... and can't recieve calls (an issue with update 2.17 and radio 1.47).

drew826 01-08-2008 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuked53 (Post 157020)
Also, I was wondering if there is a notification light like there has been on all my other phones, whether it blinks red or anything doesn't matter, it'd be great if there was one, in all the videos I've seen there's a green service light (i don't know what that is, but that's what i'm assuming since that's what the green light has been on my other phones) but I wasn't sure about a notification light

I realize you don't have the phone yet, but here's a heads up. When you do get the phone, you'll probably want to go into Start->Settings->Personal->Sounds & Notifications->Notifications and edit events so that the light flashes for whatever time period you want. For example, I set New Text Message and New E-mail Message events to flash the light for no limit. That way, the little green light will actually flash orange/amber until I clear the notification. Otherwise, the light will flash orange but then will go back to the normal green flashing and you'll have to keep turning on the screen to check whether or not you have messages. The same can be done for voicemail, and probably other events.

xweaponx 01-08-2008 11:42 AM

The led located to the right flashes green indicating that the phone's radio (not as in FM/AM) is turned on (and not in Airplane mode). If you turn the phone's radio off, the green light ceases to flash but your device will still power on and can be utilized as long as you are not using any of the device's phone radio functions (phone calls, data transmission, internet browsing, etc)

What I know for sure: The left/Right RGB (red/green/blue) led's consist of the following status's...

Led 1 (left)

Blue - Bluetooth enabled
Green - Wifi enabled

Led 2 (right)

Green - Phone radio enabled
Amber - Alerts, Reminders, Warnings
Red - Low battery (Critical battery status)

What is interesting is that if a custom .cab application could be fabricated to use the led's to create custom notifications, RGB leds... depending upon intensity and combination... can create up to about 65K colors. So imagine having purple, white, pink, teal, black etc colors for notifications!

SpecialAgentSicari 01-08-2008 01:15 PM

If you want some starter tips, I would forgo all the sprint customizations. When you start the phone for the first time, after you go through the initial Windows Mobile Setup, a box with pop up stating that the phone is being customized. If you soft reset the device as soon as the box pops up the sprint customization will not run. Basically it installs a bunch of worthless junk and nothing that you will never miss. Other than that search the this board like everyone else says and you can find some pretty cool stuff. If you have any questions I will be willing to help you out, Just PM me. Good luck and have fun!

Nuked53 01-08-2008 02:01 PM

What does the sprint customization consist of?

SpecialAgentSicari 01-08-2008 02:35 PM

Not completely sure everything that is installed with the sprint customizations but I've been running my mogul since September with no junk ware and it works just fine. You can look here and there should be some more info for you. http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...+customization

iamjfarrell 01-08-2008 03:09 PM

I am a college student as well and it really is nice to have.. I use the calendar for all my due dates and canceled classes. It works great. I text a ton too and I downloaded the SMS palm thread. It basically looks like a AIM conversation. I recommend that for you.. As well as the pointui.

Nuked53 01-08-2008 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamjfarrell (Post 157249)
I am a college student as well and it really is nice to have.. I use the calendar for all my due dates and canceled classes. It works great. I text a ton too and I downloaded the SMS palm thread. It basically looks like a AIM conversation. I recommend that for you.. As well as the pointui.

Do you have a link for the palm SMS? Have any SS's of it? I'd like to see how it looks

What is Pointui, btw?

Darkness231 01-08-2008 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuked53 (Post 157267)
What is Pointui, btw?

See http://pointui.com/

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuked53 (Post 157267)
Do you have a link for the palm SMS? Have any SS's of it? I'd like to see how it looks

As far as the link see: Palm Threaded SMS.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z...creen030-1.jpghttp://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z.../Screen032.jpg

honan 01-08-2008 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpecialAgentSicari (Post 157181)
If you want some starter tips, I would forgo all the sprint customizations. When you start the phone for the first time, after you go through the initial Windows Mobile Setup, a box with pop up stating that the phone is being customized. If you soft reset the device as soon as the box pops up the sprint customization will not run. Basically it installs a bunch of worthless junk and nothing that you will never miss. Other than that search the this board like everyone else says and you can find some pretty cool stuff. If you have any questions I will be willing to help you out, Just PM me. Good luck and have fun!

I would recommend letting the customization run. Then do a hard reset and when the phone announces that it is going to install Sprint Customization, perform a soft reset to skip. I have done this and haven't had any of the problems that I have heard from a few people. YMMV

iamjfarrell 01-08-2008 10:08 PM

Check out some youtube videos of pointUI, and the palm sms is forbidden to discuss... but it is out there... darkness put up some good screenshots... It's your best option in my opinion!

Here is a fun tour of pointUI.. by some guy with a heavy accent... http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=ECKEjeDE3ic

SpecialAgentSicari 01-09-2008 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honan (Post 157429)
I would recommend letting the customization run. Then do a hard reset and when the phone announces that it is going to install Sprint Customization, perform a soft reset to skip. I have done this and haven't had any of the problems that I have heard from a few people. YMMV

Thats basically the same thing I said, Just without the second hard reset.

Nuked53 01-09-2008 03:53 PM

Why can't we talk about palm SMS?

Can someone PM me where I can get it or something? Looks like something I could use

Nuked53 01-09-2008 04:09 PM

Also, for pointui, the same guy does a review on it and when he clicks the phone it doesn't work, is that just with his phone? Will it work on Moguls?

honan 01-09-2008 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpecialAgentSicari (Post 157832)
Thats basically the same thing I said, Just without the second hard reset.

I don't want to sound petty but you said "When you start the phone for the first time, after you go through the initial Windows Mobile Setup, a box with pop up stating that the phone is being customized. If you soft reset the device as soon as the box pops up the sprint customization will not run.."

I said let it run then hard reset and skip customization. One Hard Reset.