PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Is there anything I cant do with WM5? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=13535)

hay112 12-11-2007 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by livewirevoodoo (Post 140843)
I feel compelled to chime in here.

Yesterday I performed the "downgrade" to wm5 after trying every stock and custom flavor of wm6 available for the 6800.

I <3 wm5 on this device. Glossy taskbar aside, the difference is minimal, but there is a **huge** increase in speed.

I have a ton of software installed, my today screen full of plugins, and still have 24mb free memory (49%)... WM6 would hover at 67% utilization, and then drag to a crawl when I tried to listen to music with HTC audio manager and browse the web.

+1 for wm5, and tip of the hat to sampson.

:occasion5:
glad to have you aboard

Now we if we could just get everyone else on the forums to make the switch we'd hear WAY less complaints about the mogul

gobmonster 12-12-2007 12:59 AM

thanks for the response ppl, but its weird but every altell or tnz rom that i downloaded has never finished installing, it hangs at the last percent and wont let me exit the boot loader (even with the exit bootloader app), the sampson rom isnt the first ive tried, but its the only one that has worked (even tried to go to other roms from the sampson one without success)

and 25mb of idle ram was an overshoot, it was what i saw when i just looked at my phone at the time, its more like 21-23 free depending if i have anything on the homescreen, which i usually dont, like right now, i havent restarted the phone in 3 days and its at 24mb, but i havent been using it all too heavily as of late and i run the hibernate function rather often

willpower101 12-12-2007 01:26 AM

How does the touch + wm6 compare to the speed of titan + wm5 and titan + wm6?

So far the 2.17 wm5 rom feels like my ppc-6600 upgraded from wm3 to wm5. Very slow / lag in everything I do. I can't believe the phone dialer can't even keep up with my fingers dialing at a slower than normal speed!

dishe 12-12-2007 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willpower101 (Post 140949)
How does the touch + wm6 compare to the speed of titan + wm5 and titan + wm5?

So far the 2.17 wm5 rom feels like my ppc-6600 upgraded from wm3 to wm5. Very slow / lag in everything I do. I can't believe the phone dialer can't even keep up with my fingers dialing at a slower than normal speed!

Dude, in the dialer go to menu -> options and change keypad tones to OFF. This is a sound driver problem that makes the device wait until the tone is played and finished before processing the next digit. Until better drivers are written, this will be true of any version of WM.

Just turn it off, you don't really need it. The dialer keeps up with you just fine after that, and I'm finding the rest of my device rather snappy in general.

Oh, and this has been mentioned countless times in the forums. I can't beleive people are still giving this device a bad name... 2.17 modified roms (move on over to XDA and see what DCD has done lately with the 2.17 roms) are awesome. All the features of WM6, and it runs smoothly.

I can't go back to WM5, not since they fixed the A2DP quality issues with WM6.

hay112 12-12-2007 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gobmonster (Post 140927)
thanks for the response ppl, but its weird but every altell or tnz rom that i downloaded has never finished installing, it hangs at the last percent and wont let me exit the boot loader (even with the exit bootloader app), the sampson rom isnt the first ive tried, but its the only one that has worked (even tried to go to other roms from the sampson one without success)

and 25mb of idle ram was an overshoot, it was what i saw when i just looked at my phone at the time, its more like 21-23 free depending if i have anything on the homescreen, which i usually dont, like right now, i havent restarted the phone in 3 days and its at 24mb, but i havent been using it all too heavily as of late and i run the hibernate function rather often

Hey Gob, i was thinking the same thing when i tried to run the the first time, but for some reason the boot loader works fine for me.

Make sure after the flash, you leave the device connected, then turn off usb connections for activesync, then run the bootloader app....

if it freezes on the boot up screen after that just try a hard reset by holding down the two soft keys (above the call and hang up button) at the same time and push the reset button with your stylus

That's i had to do it for both roms, let me know if there's anything i can do to help

stifiling 12-12-2007 05:04 AM

i was using sampsons wm5 and couldnt get the phone to work as a flash drive (wm5torage didn't work). its a MUST for me because when using other peoples pcs i can access my files...without carrying a disc, and installing activesync on everyones computers. so i switched to dcd's clean wm6 and cant get the picturemail mms to send. i also tried 2.17 and had issues with the error 67 amongst using evdo. colonels rom was nice but kinda too slow. all are 1 issue away from perfect.

so far for me dcd's clean wm6 is the best and the one im using because picture mails not a high priority.

sampson's wm5 was really the ultimate best that i had tried because of the speed, but the BIG no flash drive issue pushed it from best to worst.

ANYONE ABLE TO USE THEIR MOGUL AS A FLASH DRIVE...USING A WM5 ROM???

once again wm5torage didnt work and neither did the card export program.

hay112 12-12-2007 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dishe (Post 140956)
Dude, in the dialer go to menu -> options and change keypad tones to OFF. This is a sound driver problem that makes the device wait until the tone is played and finished before processing the next digit. Until better drivers are written, this will be true of any version of WM.

Just turn it off, you don't really need it. The dialer keeps up with you just fine after that, and I'm finding the rest of my device rather snappy in general.

Oh, and this has been mentioned countless times in the forums. I can't beleive people are still giving this device a bad name... 2.17 modified roms (move on over to XDA and see what DCD has done lately with the 2.17 roms) are awesome. All the features of WM6, and it runs smoothly.

I can't go back to WM5, not since they fixed the A2DP quality issues with WM6.

Well Dishe i stand corrected, after reading your post yesterday (i had no idea where DCD had gone to) i went over to XDA and installed the his Kitchen. Wow! Best WM6 evar! There a few things here and there that aren't as quick but really an amazing rom. I'm still on my first day so its early but so far so good. It will definitely be a hard decision choosing between the two....

nosmohtac 12-13-2007 12:14 AM

AFAIK, there is no way to use a card larger than 2GB with WM5. With the latest ROM you can use 4,6, or 8GB cards.

dishe 12-13-2007 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stifiling (Post 141005)
i was using sampsons wm5 and couldnt get the phone to work as a flash drive (wm5torage didn't work). its a MUST for me because when using other peoples pcs i can access my files...without carrying a disc, and installing activesync on everyones computers. so i switched to dcd's clean wm6 and cant get the picturemail mms to send. i also tried 2.17 and had issues with the error 67 amongst using evdo. colonels rom was nice but kinda too slow. all are 1 issue away from perfect.

so far for me dcd's clean wm6 is the best and the one im using because picture mails not a high priority.

sampson's wm5 was really the ultimate best that i had tried because of the speed, but the BIG no flash drive issue pushed it from best to worst.

ANYONE ABLE TO USE THEIR MOGUL AS A FLASH DRIVE...USING A WM5 ROM???

once again wm5torage didnt work and neither did the card export program.

Funny, you imply that wm5torage works out of the box with DCD's rom... I tried it once on the stock rom, and it didn't work, so I gave up and moved on. Does it really work on DCD's clean roms? I read somewhere that you can make it work by messing with installing cardexport, then removing it and then installing wm5torage... but I never got around to trying it.
What works for you as far as USB mass storage device modes?

stifiling 12-14-2007 05:02 AM

ure right i was unable to get wm5torage to work on wm6 either.

the card export prog does work though. and i reflash and hard reset the phone so often, for reasons not related, that i jus so happen to never run out of the 21 trial days.

like u mentioned they say wm5torage will work...after installing card export on wm6. but i have tried...and was unsuccessful. i havent put too much "brain power" into it though only because im not running out of trial days with the card export. but once i run out (and who knows when thatll b because of all the future roms that im sure ill test) i'll have to look further into that supposed solution for wm5torage.

i switch roms all the time, like once a week. i jus may always have a free 21 day trial with card export lol. im using the titan kitchen from over at xda now and so far...its the best (jus an illustration of how frequently i change. ahh...fresh 21 days lol). im almost certain its Helmi's foundation...since he was the first to create a kitchen....but its modified for the titan by DCD. so look for dcds titan kitchen. even though it's really helmis.

would hate to start a name flame war here and wouldnt want to see dcd pack up and go like kirvin...over a name issue. kinda ridiculous it takes a paragraph to get the names stamped right...but it obviously must be done. Damn id like to see what kirvin could do for a mogul.

go check that wm6 for the titan kitchen out though...its pretty nice. its at xda and search primarily by "dcd titan kitchen." once again its actually helmi's kitchen modded by dcd for a titan phone....Whew!! that took a lot.