PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Fix for 2.17 Memory Leak? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=13085)

Scooter_in_WI 12-05-2007 07:50 AM

Fix for 2.17 Memory Leak?

Overall, I couldn't be happier with the latest offering from Sprint/HTC. Everything works great for me (including BT) as long as I soft reset every morning. I think that the memory leak is worse now. I didn't install the Sprint add-ons and after a reset, I have about 21 MB free. If I let it charge (connected to PC) all night, I have only 4MB left! Has anyone found a fix for this?

Here is what I have running:
I don't think that a lot of these are needed but one of them has to be the culprit.

http://www.coldchain-tech.com/Files/Capture.JPG

stroths 12-05-2007 07:59 AM

My memory does go down, but not that much that fast. It must be one of the apps you have installed. I played around with s2u2 and noticed my memory go down faster. It might have been something else, but I haven't noticed it since I removed it. Try disabling or uninstalling it and see if that makes a difference.

You can also kill the HTC_CM_Guardian from \windows\startup. Maybe someone here can speak on the ftouchflo as I don't use that myself.

For those curious, that screenshot came from a desktop app called SOTI Pocket Controller. It's a really nice app.

Genjinaro 12-05-2007 08:13 AM

I always assumed it was WM6 alone causing the drain. :/

GoodThings2Life 12-05-2007 08:21 AM

I have had success plugging the leak by installing the latest Windows Live services.

That said, you're running several apps that I don't use, so your results may vary.

johnnychimpo 12-05-2007 09:36 AM

Anyone know what tasks are not necessary?

Scooter_in_WI 12-05-2007 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodThings2Life (Post 136127)
I have had success plugging the leak by installing the latest Windows Live services.

That said, you're running several apps that I don't use, so your results may vary.

After I started this thread, I seen your message about that and installed it even though I don't use Live. I also removed the HTC_CM_Guardian app (what is that??) and ftouchflo. I'm wondering if SunnyContacts or S2U2 is giving me troubles?

Here are my changes:
http://www.coldchain-tech.com/Files/Capture2.JPG
Johnny, this task manager is from a great program called Pocket Controller: http://www.soti.net/

Vertigo 12-05-2007 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooter_in_WI (Post 136153)
Johnny, this task manager is from a great program called Pocket Controller: http://www.soti.net/

wow this software rocks!!! thank you!

Scooter_in_WI 12-05-2007 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertigo (Post 136168)
wow this software rocks!!! thank you!

Sure thing. I have used it for about a year now and I love it. A little pricey though.

shaun0207 12-05-2007 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooter_in_WI (Post 136185)
Sure thing. I have used it for about a year now and I love it. A little pricey though.

Its a great program. I use it all the time to play with my phone while working.

What is the HTC_CM /Guardian?

pastert33 12-05-2007 11:04 AM

So what does HTC_CM_Guardian do? What is that linked to? Also, the new windows live service has helped your memory or what?

divxrippimp 12-05-2007 11:32 AM

Im pretty sure that just makes sure your sprint data settings are correct, so you dont get connection errors and stuff...

and second off, slide2unlock is a mem hog and has many mem leak issues, im sure they are caused by that...

TC1 12-05-2007 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooter_in_WI (Post 136118)
Overall, I couldn't be happier with the latest offering from Sprint/HTC. Everything works great for me (including BT) as long as I soft reset every morning. I think that the memory leak is worse now. I didn't install the Sprint add-ons and after a reset, I have about 21 MB free. If I let it charge (connected to PC) all night, I have only 4MB left! Has anyone found a fix for this?

Here is what I have running:
I don't think that a lot of these are needed but one of them has to be the culprit.

There's something wrong with your setup. Since the new ROM I've been running very controlled experiments. I started of with nothing loaded and no email service polling, didn't make any calls for 24 hours. I was left with >90% (you read that right) battery power after 24 hours, which tells you that the radio, the signal coverage in one's area, and backlight settings are the culprit in terms of battery life.

WRT to the memory leak... there is none. I have since loaded several HTC add-ins (including HTC Task Manager to close apps when you exit them) and the latest Windows Live Services, and started email polling on 2 different accounts (Gmail pop and Windows Hotmail), and my memory never goes below 18MB once all the apps are closed, which means WM6 is caching what it needs and nothing more.

The new ROM is a good step forward. I've got loaded anything I wanted from the Touch ROM and my Mogul runs great.

GoodThings2Life 12-05-2007 01:57 PM

divxrippimp is correct about the purpose of CM Guardian, and it is safe to remove as well.

DogGuy 12-05-2007 03:34 PM

WM6 is *not* the culprit for something as ridiculous as going down to 4mb of memory without use. In testing my own 2.14 and Vogue hybrid, I ran it from thursday to tuesday, with the normal slew of apps (HTC Home, Today Agenda, Qmenu, Picsel, etc etc). Not once did my phone fail to recover on its own to a minimum of 20mb, most times it leveled between 22 and 24mb. I didn't softreset untill Tuesday, and that reset was "just because" to gauge starting memory. I'm also not a "light" phone user. Minimum 3 hours of talk per day, BT on 24/7, PocketIRC in and out, lots of net surfing, POP3 and Exchange server.

Don't blame the operating system when results are so drastically varied. If it were WM6, every person would be facing the same issue. Look to your programs, and start pulling them out one by one until you discover the real cause. (I personally recommend removing Windows Live entirely... and anything else that could be a problem, whether it is a part of the standard program set or not.)

- DogGuy

Goddbody 12-05-2007 03:43 PM

I personally have had multiple issue on my mogule until I flashed the 2.17 ROM everything suddenly started workng fine, but I did notice the memory leak esterday. From 137 MB to 51 MB and all I installed was the Sprit Cube addon. so I think the guy from the post above is right. The leakage issue probably various.

Scooter_in_WI 12-05-2007 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DogGuy (Post 136395)
(I personally recommend removing Windows Live entirely... and anything else that could be a problem, whether it is a part of the standard program set or not.)

- DogGuy

That's my plan...
I have removed the cube with no resolve and am working on the other goodies. Since Windows Live in included with the ROM (I think), how do I go about removing it. I don't use it at all.

Thanks!

king_tee 12-05-2007 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TC1 (Post 136305)
There's something wrong with your setup. Since the new ROM I've been running very controlled experiments. I started of with nothing loaded and no email service polling, didn't make any calls for 24 hours. I was left with >90% (you read that right) battery power after 24 hours, which tells you that the radio, the signal coverage in one's area, and backlight settings are the culprit in terms of battery life.

WRT to the memory leak... there is none. I have since loaded several HTC add-ins (including HTC Task Manager to close apps when you exit them) and the latest Windows Live Services, and started email polling on 2 different accounts (Gmail pop and Windows Hotmail), and my memory never goes below 18MB once all the apps are closed, which means WM6 is caching what it needs and nothing more.

The new ROM is a good step forward. I've got loaded anything I wanted from the Touch ROM and my Mogul runs great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DogGuy (Post 136395)
WM6 is *not* the culprit for something as ridiculous as going down to 4mb of memory without use. In testing my own 2.14 and Vogue hybrid, I ran it from thursday to tuesday, with the normal slew of apps (HTC Home, Today Agenda, Qmenu, Picsel, etc etc). Not once did my phone fail to recover on its own to a minimum of 20mb, most times it leveled between 22 and 24mb. I didn't softreset untill Tuesday, and that reset was "just because" to gauge starting memory. I'm also not a "light" phone user. Minimum 3 hours of talk per day, BT on 24/7, PocketIRC in and out, lots of net surfing, POP3 and Exchange server.

Don't blame the operating system when results are so drastically varied. If it were WM6, every person would be facing the same issue. Look to your programs, and start pulling them out one by one until you discover the real cause. (I personally recommend removing Windows Live entirely... and anything else that could be a problem, whether it is a part of the standard program set or not.)

- DogGuy

Co Sign......I have noticed the same thing. I have let my phone run for 24hrs with slide2unlock running and my phone stays at 18-19mb free consistently. Sometimes its even at 21mb free. I have the HTC home plug in addition to numerous other apps and haven't experienced as much Mem leakage as the previous Roms. This 2.17 Rom is good.

dishe 12-05-2007 04:00 PM

^^ Agree with DogGuy. This "memory leak" thing is totally out of control.
WM6 does not have a memory leak. For the 600 billionth time.
I started just ignoring these threads, but its appalling to me that people are still writing them!

Scooter_in_WI 12-05-2007 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dishe (Post 136423)
^^ Agree with DogGuy. This "memory leak" thing is totally out of control.
WM6 does not have a memory leak. For the 600 billionth time.
I started just ignoring these threads, but its appalling to me that people are still writing them!

Huh??
I never said that it was WM6. I am just looking for some insight as to which program it may be. Please read the whole thread before getting frustrated. I know it's easy with all of the Bill Gates haters out there. Instead of pointing fingers, they should trade in what they have for an iPhone!
In fact... I have exactly the same programs installed now as I have with every ROM that I have installed. The issue is the same with ALL versions. I know it has to be a program issue.

GoodThings2Life 12-05-2007 08:13 PM

DogGuy was referring to Genjinaro's post claiming he assumed it was just WM6 in general.

I definitely agree with DogGuy, however. I am constantly floating in the 60-70% memory usage range depending on what I am doing. It will spike when I'm doing a lot, but it always gives it back.

DogGuy 12-05-2007 10:18 PM

Indeed I was referring to the WM6 in general comment.

As for Windows Live (and other "pre-built" rom pieces) ... thats the best part of a kitchen. Its as simple as unchecking a box in mine. ... well, the next version that I'll release a little early, just to have a 2.17 kitchen available.

- DogGuy

Genjinaro 12-05-2007 10:52 PM

Wow I said I assumed, I'm not claiming facts:

It was a comparison I made when flashing back to WM5's latest AKU & WM6.

Same apps but benchmarking says something in WM6 is doing it, yes I check over and over, the results with WM5 were very consistent with the exception of 8 problem apps, WM6 was different each test apps or no apps.

WM6 no matter what takes at least 2-4mb a day from me, though I never had it drop to 10 or 8 MB like many others have had. WM5 actually recovered some program memory back after a few hours.

All in all I claim on a guess, Windows Live, as it was the only different app or factor that wasn't in my test.

It may be Windows Live. Its just a matter of removing it which I find myself.....stuck since its in the ROM.

I think many newcomers are failing to "Active Sync" stealing memory too, this sucks alot of resources throughout the day & did so on both benchmarks.
If you apply the "fake server " trick & end the schedule times you can do away with it.

GoodThings2Life 12-06-2007 12:05 AM

Calm down Genjinaro, nothing personal. I've only been around a couple weeks, but I've seen a lot of people rant and rave that program x caused problem a only to be debunked. Frankly, most of us appreciate the clarifications (at least, we should). It's our responsibility as product owners to defend the products we use, otherwise companies tend to drop future support of those products.

As for Windows Live, I use Live all the time, and it's on my Today screen. In my case, installing the latest helped resolve my only leak experience. Once you install the latest, you can uninstall it, and it will be gone until the next hard reset. :)

Finally, yes, ActiveSync will definitely steal a bit of memory if you let it sync "as items are received" (not to mention the battery drain). It is definitely more sensible to schedule it less often.

Best Regards,
Aaron

Genjinaro 12-06-2007 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodThings2Life (Post 136849)
As for Windows Live, I use Live all the time, and it's on my Today screen. In my case, installing the latest helped resolve my only leak experience. Once you install the latest, you can uninstall it, and it will be gone until the next hard reset. :)

It'll uninstall? Awesome, I'll have to try that.

dishe 12-06-2007 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodThings2Life (Post 136677)
DogGuy was referring to Genjinaro's post claiming he assumed it was just WM6 in general.

I definitely agree with DogGuy, however. I am constantly floating in the 60-70% memory usage range depending on what I am doing. It will spike when I'm doing a lot, but it always gives it back.

yeah, scooter. I wasn't referring to you, chill.

specv 12-06-2007 01:12 AM

check out the wiki from pdaphonehome

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/mogul...6800-wiki.html

and here is a specific thread on all the services and startup apps with what they do and which ones u cannot stop which ones u can and which ones are optional

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/ppc-6...-free-ram.html

Scooter_in_WI 12-06-2007 09:07 AM

That did it!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by specv (Post 136897)
check out the wiki from pdaphonehome

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/mogul...6800-wiki.html

and here is a specific thread on all the services and startup apps with what they do and which ones u cannot stop which ones u can and which ones are optional

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/ppc-6...-free-ram.html

That did it!! WHOO HOO!!!
Thanks much! I was reading the threads and found it in the Wiki about the touch dialer causing a memory leak. It tries to write to memory that is not in the Mogul. Makes sense. I decided to test it by installing it (and it alone) after a hard reset. Memory went down about .5MB every 5 minutes or so depending on what I was doing with the dialer.

That being said, I have come to realize after reading the forums here that EVERY device is different and this MAY NOT be a cure for everybody. I'm even more sure that there are lots of folks that are running the touch dialer without any problems. So.... It works for me!

Thanks again!

GoodThings2Life 12-06-2007 09:34 AM

Awesome. Thanks for the update. :)