PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2007, 02:17 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro & Blackberry 8330
Carrier: Sprint SERO

steps is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to steps
WM6 sucks up 44mb of RAM after hard restart? wtf???

I practically know pocket pc's inside out but I was looking in the "device information" on the ppc and something is puzzling me:

OS Memory: 16.77
Program Memory:47.23
Used:27.69
Free:19.54

So...off the bat WM6 uses 16.77 plus 27.69

Ok heres my issue, what is the "OS memory"??? My assumption was this is what WM6 uses for start up apps, etc but what from a fresh hardset would use and ADDTIONAL 27.69MB on top of the 16.77MB?????? No start up apps or anything installed....So that means WM6 uses in total 44.46MB out of 64MB???? WTF IS IT LOADING THAT IT HAS TO USE 44MB??????

Could someone please explain this I'm so confused

Last edited by steps; 10-23-2007 at 02:34 AM. Reason: changed title
Old 10-23-2007, 03:25 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

papped is a n00b
Without the sprint extras installed it should have around 25mb or so free mem.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:03 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

gxnext is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargxnext is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargxnext is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargxnext is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargxnext is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via ICQ to gxnext Send a message via AIM to gxnext Send a message via MSN to gxnext Send a message via Yahoo to gxnext Send a message via Skype™ to gxnext
well...

well.. then how can we go about removing the sprint extras that we don't need.... i remember doing this on the 6700... but I don't remember how...well now that I think about it I think I had to hard reset the phone, and just before the phone starts installing sprints extras you do a soft reset. and then afterwards i had to manually install the recommended cab files. but I don't know whats necessary or recommended for the 6800 nor do I know how to extract the cab files just n case.... but I'll look into figuring it out, or finding a way. if whats not necessary can increase the memory ANY its worth figuring out lol.

Last edited by gxnext; 10-23-2007 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:22 AM
Timeless
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool
It really is absurd. Never did understand why there's a portion set aside for the OS and then it still takes from the rest of the memory.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:32 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Existentialism is keeping up the good workExistentialism is keeping up the good work
Are the sprint extra just items I can remove from startup? I really don't want to use a custom ROM.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:51 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

gxnext is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargxnext is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargxnext is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargxnext is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargxnext is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via ICQ to gxnext Send a message via AIM to gxnext Send a message via MSN to gxnext Send a message via Yahoo to gxnext Send a message via Skype™ to gxnext
Quote:
Originally Posted by Existentialism View Post
Are the sprint extra just items I can remove from startup? I really don't want to use a custom ROM.
like i stated above,
Quote:
Originally Posted by gxnext View Post
well.. then how can we go about removing the sprint extras that we don't need.... i remember doing this on the 6700... but I don't remember how...well now that I think about it I think I had to hard reset the phone, and just before the phone starts installing sprints extras you do a soft reset. and then afterwards i had to manually install the recommended cab files. but I don't know whats necessary or recommended for the 6800 nor do I know how to extract the cab files just n case.... but I'll look into figuring it out, or finding a way. if whats not necessary can increase the memory ANY its worth figuring out lol.
again,i think you have to do a hard reset and stop them from being installed. only problem is i think u need to manually install some of more necessary ones, if its anything like the way its done on the 6700 the phone will still work without the sprint extras installed, you just have to manually configure your internet settings, I don't really remember anything else being a issue. but I would recommend having all the sprint extra cab files just ncase they are needed for the 6800... whatever the case you can always hard reset again. but I believe removing some of those startup items can improve the memory a little bit aswell... I've removed all of them except "poutlook" and "voice command" (voice command im tempted to remove because im finding i hardly ever use it)

Last edited by gxnext; 10-23-2007 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:29 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Existentialism is keeping up the good workExistentialism is keeping up the good work
I really don't want to do a hard reset. I finally have it just how I want it. Isn't there a way to just stop these processes from running on startup?
Old 10-23-2007, 01:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

sykosoft is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFool View Post
It really is absurd. Never did understand why there's a portion set aside for the OS and then it still takes from the rest of the memory.
You're confusing memory, and storage. It's similar to a PC, where say, your windows install uses up some of your RAM, for itself, and then programs use up more RAM on top of that, in fact, the design is the same. The partition is for the storage of the OS.

Michael
Old 10-23-2007, 02:04 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: mogul 6800

LTG1 is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to LTG1
memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykosoft View Post
You're confusing memory, and storage. It's similar to a PC, where say, your windows install uses up some of your RAM, for itself, and then programs use up more RAM on top of that, in fact, the design is the same. The partition is for the storage of the OS.

Michael
So how do we free up some memory?
Can we get rid of all the factory junk like software store, audible, get good etc?
If so how do we go about doing that?
how do you install ROMs n the ppc 6800? I'm game to try it out if it will free some memory.

The greatest thing you can do is inspire someone to think and be self motivated.

Lets Get It Lets Go!!!
Old 10-23-2007, 02:10 PM
Regular 'Geeker

See my thing is, I like Sprints ROM as far as applications, I use them all but obviously it's loading stuff into memory I don't need all the time, so I need a way so that I can keep all the apps, but they only launch when I want them. Thus I don't use so much memory.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan