PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Thunderbolt (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=307)
-   -   HTC Thunderbolt = talk & internet at same time (3G too!) (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=141910)

brandogg 03-20-2011 01:22 AM

HTC Thunderbolt = talk & internet at same time (3G too!)

Not sure if anyone is aware of this, but even on 3G (as in CDMA Verizon), you can talk on the phone and use the internet at the same time using the Thunderbolt. I was under the impression that this was not possible with CDMA, but apparently it is. I just tested it myself (and no, WiFi is not turned on).

smileyface22 03-20-2011 01:27 AM

Wirelessly posted (TP2: Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; WCE; Opera Mobi/WMD-50433; U; en) Presto/2.4.13 Version/10.00)

Neat!

Talontsi150 03-21-2011 05:00 PM

Re: HTC Thunderbolt = talk & internet at same time (3G too!)

Yeah i did the same thing talk and browsed the net, and that made me switch from HTC Evo to the Tbolt. One more thing, I get 4g at my job and all i can say is OMG! I ran three different test. Using speednet app.

1. 8630 down 27057 Up.
2. 10062 down 33170 Up

Test 3 I went onto the internet to speakeasy.net ran the test and pulled
28045 down 7963 Up. My phone is killing my Home internet *Road Runner/Turbo boost*

P.S the number are not reversed from test 1. and 2.

Bonbons 03-22-2011 08:01 AM

I'm trying to think how often I would actually use the talk and surf the internet feature..hmm

Earmuffs 04-01-2011 07:21 PM

I have an EVO and always turn on my WiFi while I'm on speaker phone because I am pretty much the only computer resource my people have and am always looking up info or doing remote sessions from my phone (teamviewer/logmein) whilst talking on my phone. So that would be infinitely useful to me. It's the primary reason I considered switching to GSM if not for the awful networks (now worse thanks to AT&T being a baby ra*ping devil). I also liked the idea of a world phone (like my tp2). But primarily I wanted simultaneous data and voice if for no other reason than to be able to pull Nav mapping data whilst talking on the way to some place. Though a cache of SVG mapping data is still preferable as the time you need most to know where to go would be when your someplace unfamiliar with no cell reception to get directions and in that scenario you are up poop creek. So go go Gadget map caching and simultaneous voice and data!

darren.wlsn1 04-01-2011 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonbons (Post 2071882)
I'm trying to think how often I would actually use the talk and surf the internet feature..hmm

i agree but nice to know you can. its like on evo you can take pictures while in call but epic you cant....neither are a selling point.

Tinkerbell 04-01-2011 10:12 PM

It would be nice to have this feature so as to be able to accept a call while doing research on the web... really cool!! Does it work tethered?

*Tinkerbell wonders if you can tether with the Thunderbolt yet...

Kliptik 04-01-2011 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell (Post 2078467)
It would be nice to have this feature so as to be able to accept a call while doing research on the web... really cool!! Does it work tethered?

*Tinkerbell wonders if you can tether with the Thunderbolt yet...

Verizon does have the Wifi Hotspot free until sometime in May, at which point it's supposedly jumping to $20/month. I've used it on 3G and it works pretty well. It lost my data connection once and I had to SR to get it to connect again. Other than that no problems at all!

Tinkerbell 04-01-2011 11:41 PM

Really cool! Thank you for the information!

ufjason 04-04-2011 01:05 PM

The test data given by the speedtest app is incorrect. The app doesn't communicate with the phone's chipset correctly. You're better off doing a speedtest using the actual website in your phone's browser to get a more accurate sampling. I ran the test before the phone was realease and have posted the video on another thread. Too lazy to go find it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talontsi150 (Post 2071645)
Yeah i did the same thing talk and browsed the net, and that made me switch from HTC Evo to the Tbolt. One more thing, I get 4g at my job and all i can say is OMG! I ran three different test. Using speednet app.

1. 8630 down 27057 Up.
2. 10062 down 33170 Up

Test 3 I went onto the internet to speakeasy.net ran the test and pulled
28045 down 7963 Up. My phone is killing my Home internet *Road Runner/Turbo boost*

P.S the number are not reversed from test 1. and 2.