PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Imagio (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   iPad + Imagio = Wifi connection on iPad???? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=137057)

jerliz 11-16-2010 11:36 AM

iPad + Imagio = Wifi connection on iPad????

I have an iPad (has wifi not 3g) and am wondering if its possible to somehow connect to my Imagio mobile phone via Bluetooth or WiFi and use it as a "modem" to connect to the Internet 3G network? I’ve heard of some who have loaded WMWiFiRouter onto the HTC Touch 3G and it all seemed to work perfectly. They say there was no problem connection to it in iPad's WiFi settings.
Has anyone does something similar with the Imagio and iPad?

Thanks for any detailed help or direction

Jer (male counterpart of the jerliz combo)

mastergadgets 11-16-2010 11:46 AM

Re: iPad + Imagio = Wifi connection on iPad????

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerliz (Post 1996525)
I have an iPad (has wifi not 3g) and am wondering if its possible to somehow connect to my Imagio mobile phone via Bluetooth or WiFi and use it as a "modem" to connect to the Internet 3G network? I’ve heard of some who have loaded WMWiFiRouter onto the HTC Touch 3G and it all seemed to work perfectly. They say there was no problem connection to it in iPad's WiFi settings.
Has anyone does something similar with the Imagio and iPad?

Thanks for any detailed help or direction

Jer (male counterpart of the jerliz combo)

I don't have an iPad, but I have used WiFi Router to connect my lap top to the internet using the Imagio. I don't imagine it is any different to connect the iPad. It should be just a matter of getting the iPad to see the WiFi router on the phone and making the security connection.

jerliz 11-16-2010 01:17 PM

Mastergadgets

I read that to use the wifi router apps you have to have root access. Pardon my ignorance. Twenty five years PC experience does not qualify me to do this without asking. Beyond installing WM's router app, what do I need to do and where does rooting come into the picture? Thanks!

Jer

boredandtattooed 11-16-2010 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerliz (Post 1996584)
Mastergadgets

I read that to use the wifi router apps you have to have root access. Pardon my ignorance. Twenty five years PC experience does not qualify me to do this without asking. Beyond installing WM's router app, what do I need to do and where does rooting come into the picture? Thanks!

Jer

i dont follow iSTuff, but i wouldnt think this is anything fancy... rooting is for Android, Jailbreaking is for iStuff...

you probably read something that says iPad needs jailbreak to be used as wifi spot... Imagio needs nothing special but the Tom Codon wifi router app..

install..soft reset.. turn it on.. turn on iPads wifi... see Imagio..connect... browse away..

thats my guess

jerliz 11-16-2010 03:32 PM

Thanks B&T
That's all I needed
jer

nsa_sailor 11-17-2010 09:34 AM

It worked for my wife's iTouch. Don't have a iPad though, but it's probably the same thing. All the i device needs is to find a wifi connection

Osteo 11-18-2010 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsa_sailor (Post 1997197)
It worked for my wife's iTouch. Don't have a iPad though, but it's probably the same thing. All the i device needs is to find a wifi connection

+1, I do this for my daughter's iTouch almost every time we're in the car more than 10 minutes. Works great.

mlevin77 11-20-2010 09:26 PM

this is driving me nuts. I have two different wifi router apps on my Imagio (original Verizon ROM) and none of my laptops can get an address via DHCP from the "hotspot" they create. The clients (Mac laptops) see the networks, but can't get an address from them. What am I missing??

Mike

TrueMetalGeek 04-07-2011 10:05 PM

Using CM Internet sharer I've had my laptop and my daughter's ipod touch sharing my internet as I drive down the road.

It should work.

wwjclemd 04-15-2011 09:11 AM

I believe that most tablets can only connect to a true wifi hotspot as of righ
t now... this includes the xoom, gtab, archos, and the I pad... that being said, the wify sharing apps for windows mobile create a shared adhoc wifi connection which the tablets can't "see." If you jailbreak your IPad, there are some files that you should be able to edit that enable it to connect to an adhoc network.... I'm not a comp guru by any means... my suggestion is to google "connect IPad to adhoc"