PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Imagio (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   can use internet while talking on the phone? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=101939)

mlevin77 12-16-2009 08:56 AM

can use internet while talking on the phone?

On my old XV6700 (Apache), there was some tweak that allowed simultaneous talking (Verizon radio) and using the internet. Can this be made to work here? Right now, an incoming call seems to interrupt on-going network activity.

drewcam888 12-16-2009 12:14 PM

Re: can use internet while talking on the phone?

It is impossible with CDMA modulation. Your apache couldn't do it either, it just tricked you into thinking it was doign data and voice at the same time. Only gsm can do data and voice at the same time.

mlevin77 12-16-2009 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewcam888 (Post 1417520)
It is impossible with CDMA modulation. Your apache couldn't do it either, it just tricked you into thinking it was doign data and voice at the same time. Only gsm can do data and voice at the same time.

I guess I'd like to be tricked in the same way by my Imagio :-) How does the CDMA device do this "trick" - what are the limitations? Does it just make the net browsing slower while I talk? That would be fine.

Mike

drewcam888 12-16-2009 01:33 PM

Did you here me the first time, It is Impossible to use voice and data at the same time. Impossible. It tricked you by just finishing rendering a web page and not actually downloading data or you were using wifi.

mlevin77 12-16-2009 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewcam888 (Post 1417722)
Did you here me the first time, It is Impossible to use voice and data at the same time. Impossible. It tricked you by just finishing rendering a web page and not actually downloading data or you were using wifi.

I did hear you, but did not understand you. I thought you were saying it somehow multiplexes the IO so that while it's not using TCP/IP and voice at strictly the same time, it rapidly swaps off between one and the other, giving the appearance (i.e., trick) of doing both.

fwaits 12-16-2009 03:49 PM

Yeah unfortunately that's the one down side to CDMA, can't have data going over both at the same time. You can of course multi-task, but not if you need data over the data connection.

makryger 12-16-2009 05:29 PM

i still get emails while i talk on the phone...

coolpoete 12-16-2009 11:16 PM

You can surf the web via Wi-Fi and talk at the same time. Damn AT&T commercial lies...

christjosh 12-17-2009 12:20 PM

Yeah I seem to recall getting email and texts while talking as well. Texts would make sense as I believe they are transmitted on the same stream as voice data (hence the size limitations) but email would require a data transfer, would it not?

Although, exceptions are probably made for mail traffic whereas they are not made for tcp/ip. idk

fwaits 12-17-2009 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christjosh (Post 1420418)
Yeah I seem to recall getting email and texts while talking as well. Texts would make sense as I believe they are transmitted on the same stream as voice data (hence the size limitations) but email would require a data transfer, would it not?

Although, exceptions are probably made for mail traffic whereas they are not made for tcp/ip. idk

Correct SMS is sent over the voice channels not data so they should still work.