PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2011, 10:12 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

alejrivas is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Evo Connection Speeds

Ok, for the past few days I've noticed that my connections speeds have been slower than usual. I am currently using OMJ latest rom, I've updated the PRL, Profile, rebooted and nothing speeds it up. I've run speed tests and only get 350kpbs on average. I thought 3G was supposed to get 1.5MB? Ive also tested my 4G and on an average I get about 4MB down, I use to get 10MB down. I dont like using 4G as much because it drains my battery unless I have the phone connected to a power source. I live in the Chicago area and Im wondering if the iPhone is now hogging up resources!! That doesn't explain the slowing down of my 4G since the iPhone doesn't have that technology. If this doesnt improve, would switching providers be the best option? I think its a waste of money for these types of speeds.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:01 PM
Android Soldier
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: The Can You Hear Me Now Network

KIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the community
Re: Evo Connection Speeds

I wish I could get close to what you are getting, my up and down speeds are so crappy I'm thinking about switching carriers, on average I'm getting 16kbps up and down and that's on a good day.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:49 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIOWA69 View Post
I wish I could get close to what you are getting, my up and down speeds are so crappy I'm thinking about switching carriers, on average I'm getting 16kbps up and down and that's on a good day.
Man that sucks. I'm definitely switching myself. Just kinda underwhelmed thus far on what has been pitched to be honest.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Android Soldier
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: The Can You Hear Me Now Network

KIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the community

Yeah it's been sooooo frustrating with these types of up and down speeds, love the phone and like the phone plan if I was to get what I am paying for, but unfortunately I have to deal with it right now.

I have been dealing with Sprint since February on this issue, first they said it was my phone and said to take it to a Sprint repair store, which I did, and then when I got their they said it was the network that was overloaded, which I told Sprint and then they admitted that they had network issues in the area, now I just moved to Florida and it's even worse than where I was living, and again they are wanting me to take my phone to a repair store to get looked at.

On a good note they did issue me a credit a while back for some of the crappy service that I received, but now they owe me a credit for the last few months. I think they have the right intentions but their service as far as the network better catch up to what they advertise quickly or they are going to loose some loyal customers. Sorry for the rant lol.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:27 AM
Retired Staff

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIOWA69 View Post
Yeah it's been sooooo frustrating with these types of up and down speeds, love the phone and like the phone plan if I was to get what I am paying for, but unfortunately I have to deal with it right now.

I have been dealing with Sprint since February on this issue, first they said it was my phone and said to take it to a Sprint repair store, which I did, and then when I got their they said it was the network that was overloaded, which I told Sprint and then they admitted that they had network issues in the area, now I just moved to Florida and it's even worse than where I was living, and again they are wanting me to take my phone to a repair store to get looked at.

On a good note they did issue me a credit a while back for some of the crappy service that I received, but now they owe me a credit for the last few months. I think they have the right intentions but their service as far as the network better catch up to what they advertise quickly or they are going to loose some loyal customers. Sorry for the rant lol.
Yep, alot of people are complaining about this. On vacation this year at Disney and WPalm Beach, really had crappy service. no 4g either in both locations. Oh well, been with sprint for 5 years now but I think they are at least a year away from fixing all of this. Would rather leave and come back in a couple years imo.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:04 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

yea tmobile is looking better everyday, can't stand being up in off peak hours just to get the speeds advertised. also in Chicago area been like this since February. but the thing is only my zip code is affected, if I goto another town I get the advertised speeds.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:20 AM
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
yea tmobile is looking better everyday, can't stand being up in off peak hours just to get the speeds advertised. also in Chicago area been like this since February. but the thing is only my zip code is affected, if I goto another town I get the advertised speeds.
Don't know what else there is to say on the matter. Sprint has lost tons of towers as per Gten comments in the past, network vision is going to take a while to complete, service has been poor for many in multiple locations. So the writing is on the wall as far as I can see, at least for the foreseeable future. If you are with sprint and get good coverage and speeds, it makes sense to stay though.
Frankly I don't think tmobile is the answer either but I guess it just depends on your location. I was thinking about them as well but had an opportunity to test out a friends device in my home a couple months ago. Brand new Android device connected to h+, ran several speed tests and the best I saw was 1.4 mbps. Also 3 bars outta 4. So tmobile theoretical 42mbps network was not doing that well for me. Another friend with a tbolt from Verizon was over, ran same tests on lte and was getting 4-7mbps down in my house. I would be happy with consistent 2-3 mbps down for that matter.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:51 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley View Post
Don't know what else there is to say on the matter. Sprint has lost tons of towers as per Gten comments in the past, network vision is going to take a while to complete, service has been poor for many in multiple locations. So the writing is on the wall as far as I can see, at least for the foreseeable future. If you are with sprint and get good coverage and speeds, it makes sense to stay though.
Frankly I don't think tmobile is the answer either but I guess it just depends on your location. I was thinking about them as well but had an opportunity to test out a friends device in my home a couple months ago. Brand new Android device connected to h+, ran several speed tests and the best I saw was 1.4 mbps. Also 3 bars outta 4. So tmobile theoretical 42mbps network was not doing that well for me. Another friend with a tbolt from Verizon was over, ran same tests on lte and was getting 4-7mbps down in my house. I would be happy with consistent 2-3 mbps down for that matter.
@Riley another alternative I'm considering is USCC. 1.4mbps sounds great,I'd be happy with that. at least I'd be able to use my phone to its greatest potential without excessive buffering and "can't load this" "can't download this because connection is too slow" "there is a problem with the network" "you might have lost your cellular data connection" error messages.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G