PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Evo 4G (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Migrating to a new ROM - backups? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=146383)

fuzzybabybunny 08-11-2011 06:28 PM

Migrating to a new ROM - backups?

So I'm helping a friend upgrade her ROM on her EVO and I'm not too sure what's the procedure for backing up and and restoring stuff like SMS, text, apps, etc.

I don't want to do a complete backup like Nandroid because I don't want to back up the ROM.

I'm pretty sure that her contacts, emails, and apps will be automatically reloaded onto the phone after I reconnect it to her Google account, right? But what about other stuff like SMS and others I might be missing?

Karl 08-11-2011 07:08 PM

Use titanium back up or my backup pro

Sent from my E3D using tapatalk

KIOWA69 08-12-2011 12:46 AM

Re: Migrating to a new ROM - backups?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzybabybunny (Post 2136819)
So I'm helping a friend upgrade her ROM on her EVO and I'm not too sure what's the procedure for backing up and and restoring stuff like SMS, text, apps, etc.

I don't want to do a complete backup like Nandroid because I don't want to back up the ROM.

I'm pretty sure that her contacts, emails, and apps will be automatically reloaded onto the phone after I reconnect it to her Google account, right? But what about other stuff like SMS and others I might be missing?

Her contacts and their information should be backed up to her google account, for programs use Titanium to back them up and if she's on a custom rom already a lot already have ways to back them up to an .xml file that you can re-import after flashing the new rom, personally I use GoSMS Pro which is free on the market and it has a built in back-up program that you can use to re-import the texts and sms's, great program that has a lot of functions that I like, like it wakes the phone and unlocks it when you get a text message and also has different vibrate functions to notify you, all you would have to do is flash the new rom and when you use Titanium to reinstall your programs GoSMS Pro should be reinstalled and then you re-import all your text and sms messages.

Biggnaa20 08-12-2011 03:21 PM

I'd still recommend doing a nandroid back up just in case something goes wrong. It's good to know you have that back up sitting there just in case.

I don't usually back up texts since I don't really think of them as permanent messages, but titanium back up is really good for everything else.

nnb

KIOWA69 08-12-2011 05:05 PM

Honestly the only thing that I would definitely back-up is the WiMax Keys, everything else is replaceable.

alexamarky 11-21-2011 07:31 PM

Her contacts and their information should support her Google account, use of titanium for the plan to back them up and if she has a lot of custom ROM's have a way to return to their maximum. XML file, you can re-import after flashing a new ROM, I personally use GoSMS Pro This is a free market, it has a built-in backup program

KIOWA69 11-22-2011 10:18 AM

lol this thread is only 3 months old, little late on the response. Guess he figured it out and the OP didn't post anything else.