PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

dabobby is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
rooted 2.1 to 2.3?

So I'm not as tech-savvy as most here, and I have tried to look around, but I'm still having problems figuring out what to do. So any step by step help would be greatly appreciated. Here's what I've got....
My Evo 4G is running the stock 2.1 and I rooted it with UnRevoked last year so that I could keep free wifi tethering. I never upgraded to Froyo because people were having problems keeping free wifi tethering. I would like to upgrade to the new 2.3 Gingerbread. If I can keep free wifi tethering, that would be great, if not I'll figure something out. Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance!
Old 06-11-2011, 12:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

rnunez is becoming a great contributor
Re: rooted 2.1 to 2.3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabobby View Post
So I'm not as tech-savvy as most here, and I have tried to look around, but I'm still having problems figuring out what to do. So any step by step help would be greatly appreciated. Here's what I've got....
My Evo 4G is running the stock 2.1 and I rooted it with UnRevoked last year so that I could keep free wifi tethering. I never upgraded to Froyo because people were having problems keeping free wifi tethering. I would like to upgrade to the new 2.3 Gingerbread. If I can keep free wifi tethering, that would be great, if not I'll figure something out. Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance!
Download ROM manager from the market(it's free).
Open the app.,click on "Download ROM",Scroll to EVO Stock and Radios"(it has the Sprint insignia on the side).The first rom listed should be "Stock 4.22.651.2 Deodexed",click it on . On the bottom left hand corner click on "download".

That's it it will be done in two minutes.Make sure you back up your rom when it ask you to.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Carrier: Sprint EVRP

kevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to kevmo1965

With unrevoked only you dont have access to the bootloader and recovery.
Go to this link and follow the directions to finish the root process.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/htc-evo-4g...roms-wipe.html

Old 06-11-2011, 10:02 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Threadstarter

dabobby is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnunez View Post
Download ROM manager from the market(it's free).
Open the app.,click on "Download ROM",Scroll to EVO Stock and Radios"(it has the Sprint insignia on the side).The first rom listed should be "Stock 4.22.651.2 Deodexed",click it on . On the bottom left hand corner click on "download".

That's it it will be done in two minutes.Make sure you back up your rom when it ask you to.
Told you I wasn't so tech savvy. I tried what you said, and it wouldn't work. It stopped right after it rebooted and it copied a recovery file to the sd card. Said to open ROM manager and report the problem. Any suggestions?
Old 06-12-2011, 12:40 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Carrier: Sprint EVRP

kevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to kevmo1965

Follow the link in my post, it's not that hard.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:44 AM
Android Soldier
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: The Can You Hear Me Now Network

KIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Ok so you are rooted, just download a custom 2.2 (froyo) or a 2.3 (gingerbread) rom and run that and you can still use the wifi for free, I wouldn't suggest to do the Sprint OTA upgrade as you will be locked and unrevoked hasn't been updated to unlock the new gingerbread upgrade yet, plus by running a custom rom you won't have all that bloatware that Sprint puts in there roms, but can always add something of theirs if you want it.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:46 AM
Android Soldier
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: The Can You Hear Me Now Network

KIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the community

forgot to give you a link that shows you how to unlock and flash roms and all that, take a look at it and hopefully it helps you.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Told you I wasn't so tech savvy. I tried what you said, and it wouldn't work. It stopped right after it rebooted and it copied a recovery file to the sd card. Said to open ROM manager and report the problem. Any suggestions?
Try it again.When it is finished you have to choose the "back option" and then the reboot option(should be the first one).
Old 06-12-2011, 12:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo1965 View Post
With unrevoked only you dont have access to the bootloader and recovery.
Go to this link and follow the directions to finish the root process.
I used "unrevoked" to root my phone and I have acess to bootloader and recovery.I have been flashing ROM'S and kernals with no problems.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G