PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 01:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

JickBahTech is keeping up the good workJickBahTech is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to JickBahTech
Possible to run 4G radio only?

Hey all. I'm a long time lurker from the WinMo forums.

I just got an Epic 4G to play with, and I know this is an EVO forum, but you guys are the only ones playing with 4G so I thought I'd ask this here.

In regards to battery life, this phone is barely making it through the day on 3G, and I have access to 4G, but when both radios are on it's not pretty. Has anyone found a way to run these phones on 4G only? I don't seem to have the ability to turn off the cell radio on this phone and use wifi only either. It seems to be a cell radio on or EVERYTHING off kind of device.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-25-2010, 01:57 PM
Master Kimosabi
Pocket PC: HTC s620<Touch Pro<Touch Pro2<Hero<EVO
Carrier: The 10 years ago Network

aman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
I tested it and from what I gather, the 3g switch is mobile internet. So for 4g, internet and 4g need to be on. I tried to do 4g without the 3g.and it didnt work. And battery on 4g is abysmal

Sent from my fast as hell phone that you can only wish you had
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:58 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HP6945~Mogul~TP~TP2~EVO
Carrier: Sprint - RIP Sero Plan \ Current: BP F&F

demolasko is keeping up the good workdemolasko is keeping up the good workdemolasko is keeping up the good work
Re: Possible to run 4G radio only?

only tune it on when needed .. ..... there is a widget for that
Old 08-25-2010, 02:08 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: NeXus S 4G

Rager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Yup use the power widget..I'm sure touch wiz has something similar,btw how did you get an epic? Thought release was 31st.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolasko View Post
only tune it on when needed .. ..... there is a widget for that
Oh there's one built into the notification drop down for the Epic, so that's not the problem. I guess I just didn't understand that Android can't run radios individually. Like on WinMo, I can turn off the cell radio and run wi-fi only, and on Android I can only turn off the cell radio by using Airplane mode?

I wonder if the phone is actually keeping both radios on when 4G is on? If I have access to WiMAX, why would I need EVDO?
Old 08-25-2010, 02:22 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JickBahTech View Post
Oh there's one built into the notification drop down for the Epic, so that's not the problem. I guess I just didn't understand that Android can't run radios individually. Like on WinMo, I can turn off the cell radio and run wi-fi only, and on Android I can only turn off the cell radio by using Airplane mode?

I wonder if the phone is actually keeping both radios on when 4G is on? If I have access to WiMAX, why would I need EVDO?
The radio will always be on in a way...they don't have voice over wimax yet so it uses it only for data...

so the best I can think of is running 1x and Wimax at same time..but turning off 1x is pretty much means no phone calls...

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 08-25-2010, 02:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
The radio will always be on in a way...they don't have voice over wimax yet so it uses it only for data...
Aha! Ok, that makes sense. For some reason I thought Sprint was transitioning to voice AS data, like VOIP. I guess we're just REALLY ahead of the curve LOL...
Old 08-25-2010, 03:43 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo Shift 4G

tokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stuff

I have not found a way to turn off the voice radio, and use the 4G only.

I noticed you said you were having battery issues when leaving the phone in 3G mode. HTC Sense-based phones have an option to disable "Always on mobile data". It turns your data connection when the phone is in standby. I still get gmail notifications right on time. I haven't found a con to using it yet. We find it under menu, settings, wireless and networks, mobile networks. If you don't have a setting for that in your settings menu, get JuiceDefender from the market. It's free (you can upgrade to UltimateJuice if you want full functionality), and will shut off your EvDo/3G radio when the phone is in standby. It turns it on for 1 minute every 15 minutes. I used it with good success when I was using the CM6 nightlies.

I'm not sure what kind of user you are with your phone. If you are someone who never turns the phone off, there's not much you can do.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thanks tokuzumi!

It doesn't look like us Samsung users get that setting in Mobile Networks... I'll check out JuiceDefender!

This is my first Android phone, so I'm trolling the EVO and Samsung forums now just to get a good handle on what we can and can't control.

Reply MUCH appreciated!
Old 08-25-2010, 04:37 PM
Master Kimosabi
Pocket PC: HTC s620<Touch Pro<Touch Pro2<Hero<EVO
Carrier: The 10 years ago Network

aman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Buy beautiful widgets, it may enable the options like we have

Sent from my fast as hell phone that you can only wish you had

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
4g, epic 4g, radios, sprint