PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Evo 4G (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Texting an Email Address Issue (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=131633)

ace27 08-15-2010 08:22 PM

Texting an Email Address Issue

So my Girlfriend is living in japan for now and she gave me the handy email address that is linked to her phone(blahblah@i.softbank.jp) so i can text her without getting hit with international rates... but the problem is, when i text her from my phone in handcent and the stock messaging app it sends as a MMS... which is annoying because when she replies it sends a lot of sprint mumbo jumbo with it instead of just the text she sent. is there a way to stop the phone from automatically changing my text into a MMS when sending a text to an Email Address??

all help is appreciated..

TheBundo 08-15-2010 08:53 PM

Re: Texting an Email Address Issue

Why not just use email?

ace27 08-15-2010 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBundo (Post 1912239)
Why not just use email?

because it would not be as immediate as a text and refreshing my gmail ever minute is time consuming and battery consuming also

w7excursion 08-16-2010 12:18 AM

Don't think there is a way to change it because you're texting an email address. What about using IM?

ChrisH09 08-16-2010 02:16 AM

E-mail is just as fast as txting...other than the fact you have to check it ever so often. Do what w7 said, get a IM client like MSN Talk or whatnot and chat with her that way. Neither of you will accur international charges that way...and it will be instantanious...

TheBundo 08-16-2010 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ace27 (Post 1912267)
because it would not be as immediate as a text and refreshing my gmail ever minute is time consuming and battery consuming also

The gmail thing notifies me quickly. It's as fast as on the PC. It has nothing to do with how often you have google mail refresh

ace27 08-16-2010 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBundo (Post 1912479)
The gmail thing notifies me quickly. It's as fast as on the PC. It has nothing to do with how often you have google mail refresh

huh?? how do you have the gmail app instantaneously notify you other than putting it to check for emails every 5 minutes?

and also "im" programs tend to suck up more battery power... am i correct on that statement?

TheBundo 08-16-2010 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ace27 (Post 1912520)
huh?? how do you have the gmail app instantaneously notify you other than putting it to check for emails every 5 minutes?

and also "im" programs tend to suck up more battery power... am i correct on that statement?

I don't know how out why the gmail app works that way, but if my phone is asleep, I still get instant notification, and the battery will last over 24 hours. I have the regular email program check every 15 minutes, and that notification comes in up to 15 minutes later, depending on where out was in the cycle when the email came in. I don't think the gmail app has a setting about how often to check. Perhaps google sends a text message to your phone that gmail intercepts, triggering the grabbing of the email. Smart Phone Tracker in WM used a similar process.

ulysses 08-16-2010 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ace27 (Post 1912211)
So my Girlfriend is living in japan for now and she gave me the handy email address that is linked to her phone(blahblah@i.softbank.jp) so i can text her without getting hit with international rates... but the problem is, when i text her from my phone in handcent and the stock messaging app it sends as a MMS... which is annoying because when she replies it sends a lot of sprint mumbo jumbo with it instead of just the text she sent. is there a way to stop the phone from automatically changing my text into a MMS when sending a text to an Email Address??

all help is appreciated..

it should work if you use the stock messaging app.