PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Evo 4G (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   evo>router>network hard drive...how do i get it done? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=130904)

unsane 08-05-2010 11:49 PM

evo>router>network hard drive...how do i get it done?

I have a question for you networking gurus.......i have a belkin wireless N router, which has a western digital 1TB hard drive attached to it. How do i, or what app would allow me to connect the evo over wifi to the hard drive and move files back and forth between the evo and the western digital? I am able to call up the ip 192.168.2.2 and do admin functions on it from the evo, but cannot swap files or even browse them for that matter. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

mardukeme 08-06-2010 12:38 AM

Download Astro Explorer and then download the smb plugging which will allow you to access remote drives over WiFi.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

unsane 08-06-2010 09:49 AM

Re: evo>router>network hard drive...how do i get it done?

Thank you

ddark4eva 08-06-2010 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unsane (Post 1901217)
Thank you

hey did u get it to connect?

arsmithsr 08-06-2010 02:52 PM

It won't work no operating system on the san side so no way to send the files to the phone.

mardukeme 08-06-2010 03:43 PM

I'm able to connect to my network shares fine.

ddark4eva 08-06-2010 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mardukeme (Post 1901830)
I'm able to connect to my network shares fine.

care to share how u did it? wut OS are u running on ur pc, an wut user name an pass is it askin for? ,my router or my pc..which doesnt hav a password. same goes for the IP/server address my router or my pc?

abrigham 08-06-2010 11:44 PM

I think it really depends heavily on the storage device you're connecting to. I had a Netgear storage device that I thought was a NAS but turned out to be a SAN and needed special software on the client machine. Obviously, I wouldn't be able to connect my EVO to it over the network. Most NAS's, however, have a built in server so that you can connect to over SMB (standard Windows file sharing protocol).

Connecting to a PC's share is a whole different animal, too.

unsane 08-07-2010 12:44 AM

I wasnt able to view or swap files weigh astro smb......i think i, need something that handles sftp?

I keep getting an error: "java.net.unknownhostexception:

bporter001 08-07-2010 10:18 AM

try estrongs file explorer it has FTP and LAN support. I use it all the time to connect to my windows PC from home through WiFi and I have used FTP a few times with no problems.