PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Evo 4G (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   So let me get this straight. Insane battery life comes from OCwidget? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=126181)

TheLovatScout 06-22-2010 12:50 PM

So let me get this straight. Insane battery life comes from OCwidget?

I've been seeing many threads about +40 hours on a single charge. I can not do this for the life of me. Although, I haven't rooted my Evo since I'm not too familair with the Android system and I didn't see any real reason to since is a beast on its own.

Anyways, INSIDE these threads, far past the OP I read of OCwidget being a placebo or people using other things. I have an extra battery from my Touch Pro 2 and it seems to work fine. So does anyone know if I have to root if I want to try out the OCwidget, and anyone know if it's actually working....?

Donatom3 06-22-2010 12:52 PM

Re: So let me get this straight. Insane battery life comes from OCwidget?

If your phone is going to sleep like it should then it is actually going in a lower power state than underclocking with OC widget would. OC widget is going to help people more whose phones aren't actually going to sleep.

LoungeLizard 06-22-2010 12:53 PM

I have it installed on mine and it SEEMS to help. Yes, you must be rooted to use it. Also, a lot of batery savings can be realized by turning off crap you aren't using, such as 4G, GPS, Wifi, and go into running programs and stop Google talk.

If you have poor cell coverage, then your phone will use more battery looking for service.

freeza 06-22-2010 12:53 PM

You have to be rooted to use the OCWidget, but unrevoked's root will suffice if you aren't comfortable going through toast's rooting method. I think it's the placebo effect, if you ask me. That or these people don't use their phones as much as an average smart phone user. There is no way one can get 40 hours of heavy usage; and by heavy, I don't mean surfing the web for ten minutes. I mean the people who claim to have 2 3 hour long calls, pandora, slacker, texting, and surfing the web with 4G.

peepeesea 06-22-2010 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donatom3 (Post 1830088)
If your phone is going to sleep like it should then it is actually going in a lower power state than underclocking with OC widget would. OC widget is going to help people more whose phones aren't actually going to sleep.

how do you know if your phone isn't actually going to sleep? why wouldn't the phone go to sleep?

Donatom3 06-22-2010 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peepeesea (Post 1830095)
how do you know if your phone isn't actually going to sleep? why wouldn't the phone go to sleep?

Apps can keep it awake. Go to Menu settings about Phone then Battery, then look at the up time vs. Awake Time. The awake time should be within 5% of the amount of time you actually had the screen on. If the Awake time and up time are almost the same your phone isn't going to sleep correctly (and by sleep I mean screen off low power you still receive phone calls and texts and it turns on instantly). If you need help finding out what's keeping it awake there is a program called spare parts in the app catalog that will let you see what apps are keeping your device in partial awake status (meaning screen off but the whole chipset is at full power and not sleep status).

jrob 06-22-2010 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peepeesea (Post 1830095)

good question!!!

DancinDirk 06-22-2010 01:41 PM

Up Time, 19:51
Awake time 16:09

Thoughts?

xSD 06-22-2010 01:47 PM

40+ hours of battery? Use your goddamn phone. I can get insane battery life using it as a paperweight too.

TREmp77 06-22-2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DancinDirk (Post 1830199)
Up Time, 19:51
Awake time 16:09

Thoughts?

Did you have your phone on the charger before you checked your stats? If so thats why they are only three hours apart, if you havnt been playing with your phone all that time.

No placebo effect for the OCwidget, my phone "goes to sleep" just fine and I installed the ocwidget and I saw a huge increase in battery life. ONLY WHILE ITS SLEEPING though, the widget will do nothing for battery life while your phone is in use. He even stated that in his first post of that thread.

So heavy use you get heavy use battery life, and so on down the line.