PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 3D

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2011, 06:09 PM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

Laos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to Laos101
EVO3D Tips & Tricks

I'll periodically this thread with all kinds of cool tips and tricks I see available for the device. Feel free to make suggestions of your own and we'll add them!

1. Uninstall your Bloatware!

So, someone in the #htc-evo chat said that you could uninstall apps on the stock 3D... i looked into it, and went straight for the blockbuster app. Sure enough

menu -> settings -> applications -> manage applications -> blockbuster -> uninstall

reboot and BAM! It is gone! They also mentioned something about shared space... about /system being readable only, so it still resides there but is no longer installed? But, it is gone and I am looking forward to eliminating others. Now we need a safe list of things to get rid of!

Other bloatware includes Sprint TV, NASCAR, Sprint Radio, and others! Tell us!

Thanks GhettoBSD!

2. Test That 3D!

Here is a Youtube video that really shows off the 3D affect better than what comes on the device for demos... I love this one...

Youtube Player in 3D

GoPro 3D

Post some links if you find some cools ones!

Thanks scrosler & CarlaDarla!

3. Boost Your Battery!

Like all 4G phones - and most especially with the now 3D one - these things suck battery like water, be sure to follow some of these tips below to get the most out of your EVO3D - both in performance and usability.
  • ROOT! Once available, you can ROOT to use awesome abilities and features - such as CPU and Kernel control
  • BRIGHTNESS & 3D! turn off automatic brightness and manually set it low - or turn off 3D to help loosen that strain on the batter (at the cost of your eyes!)
  • RECONDITION - some people see improved performance after completely draining the batery and letting it recharge. Also (once rooted) you can remove your battery stats and try to trick the phone into better performance
  • Task Killers! Use Advanced Task Killer or another app to get that processor under control! (and improve overall performance)

Thanks GhettoBSD!

5. Start all over with a Hard Reset!

How to hard reset:

• 1. Turn the phone's power off. Take the battery out from the device, wait a couple of seconds and reinsert it back again.
  • 2. Gently, Press and Hold the Volume Down button
  • 3. Then also press and hold the Power button until the device turns on
  • 4. A menu will then appear like: Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock
  • 5. Just select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button
  • 6. Then press and release the Power button
  • 7. Select Volume Up if YES and Volume Down for NO

6. Free Wifi-Tether w/ Temp Root!

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/htc-evo-3d...fi-tether.html

Thanks Scrosler!

Last edited by OMJ; 07-06-2011 at 02:28 PM.
This post has been thanked 5 times.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:27 AM
Socrates Philosophy
Pocket PC: Evo3D

GhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: EVO3D Tips & Tricks

how about 3. Properly manage your battery! I know its tempting to turn it on and go! BUT, let the phone charge completely over night. In the morning, once the green 'fully charged' led is on, unplug the charger until the light turns off. Once off, plug the charger in and let it charge up again. Use the device until the battery is exhausted (the phone will shut itself down). Now charge and do the same.

I'm getting great battery life in the first two days doing this and historically, battery life should be pretty bad.

Make sure you donate to those who spend countless hours improving your PPC/android experience!
Old 06-25-2011, 07:49 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: PPC-6850

ls3mach is keeping up the good workls3mach is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoBSD View Post
how about 3. Properly manage your battery! I know its tempting to turn it on and go! BUT, let the phone charge completely over night. In the morning, once the green 'fully charged' led is on, unplug the charger until the light turns off. Once off, plug the charger in and let it charge up again. Use the device until the battery is exhausted (the phone will shut itself down). Now charge and do the same.

I'm getting great battery life in the first two days doing this and historically, battery life should be pretty bad.
I wish people would stop giving out this type of information. These are LiPo batteries. The prefer a top off regularly over a complete drain.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:30 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc EVO
Carrier: sprint

stangdriver52000 is just getting started

Yeah, actually if you figure the average life of a phone battery is maybe 18 months, you shave about two weeks off of its overall life every time you drain it... best to plug in and top off whenever possible.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:17 AM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Threadstarter

Laos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls3mach View Post
I wish people would stop giving out this type of information. These are LiPo batteries. The prefer a top off regularly over a complete drain.
It's a debatable - some people see improved performance after they recondition the batter. For example, my battery would go from 100 to 50 in an hour, but take another couple hours to get to 0 - Why? I have not a clue, but after reconditioning the performance was somewhat better.

You can also wipe battery stats (once rooted) Adding it alongside some other typical tips.

P.S. - send me Screenshots of the various settings i mention and i'll post them!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:05 PM
Gatornator
Pocket PC: Palm Pre /3 EVO 4G's/1 moPho!

gator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls3mach View Post
These are li-ion batts...not LiPo. They prefer an almost (not totally) drain and then a full recharge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium...olymer_battery

Li-Po's are derived from Li-ions and use almost the same technology but are NOT the same.

Last edited by gator352; 06-25-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:26 PM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator352 View Post
These are li-ion batts...not LiPo. They prefer an almost (not totally) drain and then a full recharge.

Lithium-ion polymer battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Li-Po's are derived from Li-ions and use almost the same technology but are NOT the same.
biggest difference between LiPo and Li+ Batteries is you cant leave LiPo batteries in the charger or to overcharge - can cause serious damage to device or explosions.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:34 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro

iagodfather is a n00b

Not to disrupt the proverbial battery debate, but another 3d video sampling that looks good is the 3d maestro on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMTvaNomlWY
and The Prodigy's Girls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MXePU_pcL4

There are some other music vids from Black Eyed Peas and Lady Gaga, but they don't have the same pop without being hd as well as 3d
Old 06-25-2011, 06:02 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 3D

scrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation level

Add this:

How to hard reset:

• 1. Turn the phone's power off. Take the battery out from the device, wait a couple of seconds and reinsert it back again.
  • 2. Gently, Press and Hold the Volume Down button
  • 3. Then also press and hold the Power button until the device turns on
  • 4. A menu will then appear like: Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock
  • 5. Just select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button
  • 6. Then press and release the Power button
  • 7. Select Volume Up if YES and Volume Down for NO

Donations always accepted but never expected!
Old 06-25-2011, 07:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul,TP, TP II, EVO 3D

robysch22 is just getting started
Red face Re: EVO3D Tips & Tricks

.... ok so what now.... draining it or not?
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 3D