PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Droid Incredible (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   Could you bring the incredable to other networks? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=121240)

staticx57 05-16-2010 02:49 PM

Re: Could you bring the incredable to other networks?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbh00jh (Post 1755052)
Was it a stock TP1 or had it been flashed ??

At one point verizon had a policy to allow any device on their network as I had a sprint TP1 on verizon as well. I do believe they changed this however.

Lost My Mind 05-16-2010 05:09 PM

You'd think they SHOULD allow them to use sprint CDMA phones on Verizon. They should go back to that policy. It would encourage people to switch to their network.

Of coarse when you're a giant you don't need to eat peanuts, I guess....

NCX Designs 05-16-2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staticx57 (Post 1756048)
At one point verizon had a policy to allow any device on their network as I had a sprint TP1 on verizon as well. I do believe they changed this however.

Your right, they were part of the Open Handset Alliance and they used to have an "Open Network" policy that allowed you to bring any handset as long as it was CDMA to there network.

however i think that is no longer the case, they are no longer listed as an Open Handset Alliance member nor are they listed as an Open Network carrier.

Sprint / T-Mobile are though, which is odd

codybear 05-17-2010 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCX Designs (Post 1755040)
I suggest you talk to Santod then, he got a Sprint TP1 working on the VZ network before VZ even had it, so it is possible.

Well put, very well put!

It is possible but like already stated, they check esn #'s.
You have to do some major hacking to change items on the phone.
It's been controversial as to whether this is illegal or not, and this particular topic is not allowed on PPCGeeks/XDA/MobileUnderground and a handful of other mobile sites aswell.
The general consensus is that it is infact illegal (although you could argue this, but it could be used for illegal purposes which is why it is outlawed on many sites).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lost My Mind (Post 1756210)
You'd think they SHOULD allow them to use sprint CDMA phones on Verizon. They should go back to that policy. It would encourage people to switch to their network.

Of coarse when you're a giant you don't need to eat peanuts, I guess....

It would be nice, but then people are more likely to steal phones and use them on their network. I think alot of networks are trying to lock em down for that fact, among many others such as profit, making sure the phones are 100% compatible with their networks, less phones for the tech's to know and be able to problem solve for. Which all around tends to bring them more revenue since people have less problems and whatever problems they do have (usually) the techs can help the customer out and fix the problem.
It makes full sense for companies to do this (to me atleast).