PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Droid Incredible (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   Task killers are bad... (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=120881)

drksilenc 05-12-2010 11:03 AM

Task killers are bad...

ok guys everyone thinks a task killer is a great thing on android. ITS NOT
Flipz made a post about it on his personal site where he does roms kitchens and all sorts of stuff for the hero. please stop advising to get a task killer
http://geekfor.me/faq/you-shouldnt-b...-with-android/

milesnapue 05-12-2010 07:28 PM

Re: Task killers are bad...

As I stated in the other thread you commented on. I have read that before. I am simply going off the fact that a task killer gives me another whole day of battery life than just backing out of everything.

p-slim 05-12-2010 08:57 PM

task killers are not bad, no nexus one user will ever tell you that.

Dragon2 05-12-2010 09:17 PM

I use task killers to kill apps for high memory games. Apps that aren't responding correctly, and just every now and again (I say once a day, morning, ) kill everything..... works great
there needed but not as much as winmo

p-slim 05-12-2010 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon2 (Post 1748613)
I use task killers to kill apps for high memory games. Apps that aren't responding correctly, and just every now and again (I say once a day, morning, ) kill everything..... works great
there needed but not as much as winmo

yeah everytime i want to play homerun battle i have to use a task killer or that game will lag.

drksilenc 05-14-2010 02:00 PM

well if thats the case the programers did a piss poor job of programing the game then because you are suppose to be able to completely back out of the program

bast525 05-14-2010 02:20 PM

After reading several different threads on various Android forums, I too was convinced that I didn't need or want a task killer on my incredible. So I removed ATK and just ran it as is for a couple days.

I have to say, experiment failed. After a day I noticed my phone was chugging pretty badly. Swiping between screens and web browsing, loading apps... just a lot of stutters and choppiness. So I reinstalled ATK and opened it to find my reported available RAM was 30 MB. I killed off some stuff I knew didnt need to be running, saw my RAM jump up to 110 MB, and noticed my phones performance improve IMMEDIATELY.

Now, I will say that I am using ATK almost exclusively to kill 3rd party apps I've downloaded from the market. Most of the apps that are stock on the phone have been put on the ignore list.

I am now definitely convinced that ATK serves a good purpose and won't be removing it again.

jbh00jh 05-14-2010 02:58 PM

I do not use the task manager since the first day I had the phone. I have never seen my memory under 110 MBs. I power my phone off when charging and it restarts at 271 MBs each morning , always have plenty of memory.
Of course I don't keep 500 read txts or 200 read emails or 5 days days of browser history and cache on it either.

bast525 05-14-2010 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbh00jh (Post 1752755)
I do not use the task manager since the first day I had the phone. I have never seen my memory under 110 MBs. I power my phone off when charging and it restarts at 271 MBs each morning , always have plenty of memory.
Of course I don't keep 500 read txts or 200 read emails or 5 days days of browser history and cache on it either.

That's the thing though.... I don't WANT to have to reboot the phone. Ever, if it can be helped. Sure, if I reboot every day my RAM would probably never get low like that. Or, I can just use ATK to kill out RAM-hungry third party apps when needed.

jbh00jh 05-14-2010 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bast525 (Post 1752987)
That's the thing though.... I don't WANT to have to reboot the phone. Ever, if it can be helped. Sure, if I reboot every day my RAM would probably never get low like that. Or, I can just use ATK to kill out RAM-hungry third party apps when needed.

The last two days I turned the phone off to charge it faster because I had to go back to the office . Before that it has not rebooted since I did a factory reset test on May 1st. That's two weeks not below 110MBs with no resets.