PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2009, 02:59 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond GSM
Carrier: Fido

Emcee_Madcatz is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rom vs Radio vs Kitchen

Hey guys. First off, I'm a brand new user to the forum so hello to all. I've had my Diamond GSM for a while and haven't really thought about doing anything to it until now. So, the big question is, What is the difference between a Rom, Radio and Kitchen? Also, I bought the phone unlocked. If I update any of the afore mentioned, will the phone un-unlock(for lack of a better word)?

Last edited by Emcee_Madcatz; 11-17-2009 at 03:02 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:12 AM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: Rom vs Radio vs Kitchen

ROM: The image you flash to your phone.
Radio: The software that controls communication between your Diamond and the cell tower.
Kitchen: The software that lets you create custom ROMs yourself.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:38 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Emcee_Madcatz is a n00b

Short, sweet, to the point and still easy to understand. Thanks.
So If I was to floash a new rom in, would I also have to update the radio? and would it restore the lock to my phone(my phone is currently unlocked)?
Old 11-17-2009, 12:02 PM
SIR Flash-a-lot
Pocket PC: Hero
Carrier: Sprint

KBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcee_Madcatz View Post
Short, sweet, to the point and still easy to understand. Thanks.
So If I was to floash a new rom in, would I also have to update the radio? and would it restore the lock to my phone(my phone is currently unlocked)?
Only time a flash alters the radio, is when flashing to a SHIPPED rom. Most of them reset the radio back to stock. Now when flashing a custom, what ever the last radio was that was installed on your phone, it will not be altered when flashing to the custom. If you are currently unlocked, it will not lock back until you do it manually.

Thats how sweet the signal is in my office!!
Old 11-17-2009, 12:39 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

SOHKis is a VIPSOHKis is a VIPSOHKis is a VIPSOHKis is a VIPSOHKis is a VIPSOHKis is a VIPSOHKis is a VIPSOHKis is a VIPSOHKis is a VIPSOHKis is a VIPSOHKis is a VIP

welcome to PPCG!

since you have a GSM diamond, you will probably have better luck over on xda.
This site is mostly directed toward CDMA phones, just make sure you don't flash a CDMA rom to your phone.

here's a link to the diamond section on xda - http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=428

Old 11-18-2009, 02:43 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Emcee_Madcatz is a n00b

Yea I kinda realized that. I was just hoping that there were some GSM users on here since there was a GSM update sub-forum. Also, I find xda's site isn't as well organized. I registered on it shortly after i had registered on here and was immediately lost.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:24 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

SOHKis is a VIPSOHKis is a VIPSOHKis is a VIPSOHKis is a VIPSOHKis is a VIPSOHKis is a VIPSOHKis is a VIPSOHKis is a VIPSOHKis is a VIPSOHKis is a VIPSOHKis is a VIP

make sure to check out EDTP also, there's a GSM diamond section there as well - http://www.everythingdiamond.info/forum.php

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond