PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Diamond (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   loved my diamond until now (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=90569)

toenail 10-16-2009 12:05 AM

Re: loved my diamond until now

one of the best features of the phone is android.. you access to soooo many different apps at the press of a button, and around 90% of them are free.. on top of that you get some really wicked apps you wouldnt even think the phone could do, for instance theres actually and app that turns your phone into a metal detector.. the creepy part, IT ACTUALLY WORKS! i can pretty much guarantee whatever programs youve paid for you can find an android alternative that is possibly better as well as free.. open source is the way to go and thats what android is all about..

CaliBoyPhillip 10-16-2009 12:10 AM

Thank you very much! I'll def look into the hero and try to play with one.. and as well look into the moment or wait for better released android devices =] yeah well I can always transfer my IM+ to android and back to wm if i ever go back right? thanks!

Biker1 10-16-2009 12:17 AM

Sprint is locking many of us out from getting any of their new devices. They are mandating that we switch to more expensive, less featured plans than the plans we are on now.
So it looks like I will be keeping my Diamond for awhile.
Android is a newer System than WM, and I don't know how it is regarding apps, etc.

MrObvious 10-16-2009 03:04 AM

The Hero was tempting I will admit but web browsing seemed lacking and I have only one program that is WM only.

toenail 10-16-2009 06:17 AM

regarding web browsing, that really tripped me out.. i went to revision3.com to check out how it would react and when you would click on a video it would stream the vids fulls stream perfect quality, i cant do that on my diamond.. also i checked out hulu but that was a no go.. video wouldnt start.. i checked out digg.com using the mobile iphone address and i looked as if that site was made for the hero.. page setup was like the the iphone, looked perfect on the screen.. a lot of the sites looked so much cleaner.. ive heard about the newer phones not being able to be used with sero plans.. but im using a family plan with the wife and kiddos so i didnt effect me any.. actually just got my daughter the samsung exclaim but shes only had if since the 5th so im gonna swap it for the moment on the 1st just in time..

jonnythan 10-16-2009 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliBoyPhillip (Post 1239376)
How is the hero treating you? I'm considering the choice of getting one or waiting for the next top android or wm phone.. What i use mainly on my diamond is Instant messenger and text / youtube / hear music / surf the net. I don't really use most those hardcore features others do so seems like it would fit me will? what keeps me from switching is most expensive app's I've invested in lol

Brilliantly. There was a learning curve with Android and Sense, but it was much smaller than the one for WinMo and its billion options. After using Android and Sense for a week, WinMo 6.5 feels downright absurdist. I can't believe how a week of this makes WinMo 6.5 seem absolutely ancient.

The breadth and maturity of the apps in the Market is the most staggering thing. WinMo might generally have apps that cover most (but certainly not all) of the functionality, but the apps here are just better. They actually feel more or less professional. And there are so many of them! I've already installed about 50 apps and kept more than half of them.

The browser experience is much faster and smoother on this phone than on the Diamond, but the page rendering isn't as perfect as Opera, surprisingly. I haven't run into any trouble yet, but every now and then something is out of place.

Youtube is about the same, maybe a bit faster. Looks great on the larger screen though. I never use IM. Text messaging is a bit more annoying on the default app (requires a lot more taps and swipes to respond to a message) but installing Handcent SMS fixes pretty much all that.

I tried a TP2 a couple of days ago and it seriously felt like I was using something from 2003.

toenail 10-16-2009 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnythan (Post 1240400)
There was a learning curve with Android and Sense, but it was much smaller than the one for WinMo and its billion options. After using Android and Sense for a week, WinMo 6.5 feels downright absurdist. I can't believe how a week of this makes WinMo 6.5 seem absolutely ancient/

well said, couldnt agree more

Biker1 10-16-2009 12:53 PM

@toenail
Just to let you know, I pay over $100.00/mo. for my plan with 2 lines, and its not a SERO.
Sprint is Requiring the SE plans for anyone that wants to activate their newer devices, even if it costs $100'S of Dollars a year
more to do so.
Which is why I will be staying with my Diamond for awhile :)
Sprint is screwing many of its Customers with their Mandate :(

jonnythan 10-16-2009 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biker1 (Post 1240527)
@toenail
Just to let you know, I pay over $100.00/mo. for my plan with 2 lines, and its not a SERO.
Sprint is Requiring the SE plans for anyone that wants to activate their newer devices, even if it costs $100'S of Dollars a year
more to do so.
Which is why I will be staying with my Diamond for awhile :)
Sprint is screwing many of its Customers with their Mandate :(

Screwing their customers by not allowing them to transfer their super-promotional-never-should-have-really-had-it-anyway plan to every new phone they ever come out with?

Sprint's regular plans are great deals. Best in the industry.

They are screwing no one.

MrObvious 10-16-2009 02:04 PM

Yeah but I'm waiting for the Leo. :p