PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Diamond (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Few questions about Windows Mobile 6.5 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=67219)

corey52 05-02-2009 02:11 AM

Few questions about Windows Mobile 6.5

I'm currently running MightyRom 4.8 and It doesn't seem as if there with be a release of 5 for the Diamond anytime soon. So i was wondering what you guys think is the BEST 6.5 rom out there. I have not tried any of the roms yet because I don't want to risk bricking my phone without knowing if it's a rom worth the trouble.But I also have a few questions about 6.5 itself.

1. Can TF3D be used with 6.5? (I think the 6.5 menu setup is kinda meh)

2. Is there any NOTICABLE upgrades that come with upgrading from 6.1 to 6.5? (any new apps? new hacks? new possibilitys? ANYTHING)

3. What is the overall "Ease of Use" for 6.5?

4.Is there alot of cool themes/customizations available yet? (like 6.1)

5. Do most/all of the current apps work well with 6.5??

And finally....

What is YOUR personal opinion on 6.5?

Thanks. All responses and answers are appreciated.

madcook 05-02-2009 02:37 AM

Re: Few questions about Windows Mobile 6.5

its harder to brick your phone than you think if you unlocked it takes the hard part so flash all you want i like grooves rom

dj_mysha 05-02-2009 04:39 AM

Most 6.5 ROMs have TF3D and Titanium included, so you just need to turn one off and the other on to switch flavours.
For me, the biggest upgrade from 6.1 to 6.5 is that flick scrolling has been implemented throughout the entire OS. To give you an idea of what that means, think of the nice scrolling experience you get in Opera. Wouldn't you like to have that in Contacts or in File Explorer? Well in 6.5 you do! And in every other program as well. This really increases 6.5's ease of use factor to something well above that of 6.1 when it comes to navigating the OS.
Titanium is another big upgrade. I've been rocking FuFu now for over 3 weeks and I haven't missed TF3D at all, which is saying a lot! Once you get the weather and favourite people panels in there (search here or at XDA), the user experience improves dramatically. Titanium also gives you much more freedom to choose your desktop wallpaper. I found that with TF3D's text being white with no stroke, I was limited to only dark coloured wallpaper, whereas I have yet to find a wallpaper that has interfered with the legibility of Titanium's text. Give Titanium a chance and you may be surprised at how much you like it. I know that I was!
Otherwise, battery life, speed, radio performance and stability have all been comparable to any 6.1 ROM I've flashed and I haven't run into any applications that I am not able to run. Give the smart folk around here and at XDA a little while longer and I think you'll see much more in the way of customization. There are already a number of themes available, but I think that what's out there now is just the tip of the iceberg.
My opinion of 6.5 is that it is a definite upgrade from 6.1. It may not be the absolute game-changer that we all hoped for, but it does bring a number of significant improvements to the Windows Mobile user experience. I agree with salisburyl in that once your phone is unlocked, it's pretty tough to brick it if you follow the instructions in the sticky, so I'd say go ahead and flash the flavour of your choice and have a little fun with it!
I hope that helps!

boggsie 05-02-2009 06:45 AM

I am probably the odd-person out in this whole TF3D, Titanium, WM65 excitement.

I rarely use my fingers ... only to answer calls. I make calls via Voice Command and when I want to use an application, I pull out the stylus and navigate to it via QuickMenu (hierarchial - cascading start menu utility).

Eventually I'll have to adapt, because I won't have a choice, but for now, I can't stand TF3D, Titanium or WM65 'upgrades'.

Best regards,
-boggsie

mulhiny 05-02-2009 07:36 AM

I was on Mighty 4.8 then switched to Calkulin's 6.5 and really like it. Battery life is actually better. I always hated TF3D and find Titanium to be much better. All my apps installed fine. I'd say 6.5 is much smoother than 6.1 and I can't really say it's any less stable as I haven't run into any problems since flashing a week ago.

wmdunn 05-02-2009 10:31 AM

I agree with dj and mulhiny, 6.5 isn't the "end all", but it is a significant upgrade, especially in the scrolling. I had pretty much written off Skyfire (except for an occasional video), but 6.5 makes it much more useable. Give it a try, like Salisbury said, bricking really isn't an issue ... just follow directions. Enjoy!

corey52 05-02-2009 10:49 AM

I just updated to 6.5 with Calkulins Rom. And....wow...this really sucks...lol. I'm trying to figure out how to use TF3D with 6.5. I downloaded the Calkulins Manila Engine 1.2.35348.2_1813.6. File in his thread and all i get is the "Tap here to start TF3d" "Starting TF3d" "Tap here...etc". Also i noticed that my old Dialer doesn't work either. I would LOVE to play around with this rom if I could only get TF3D to work so that I can switch to my "play" and "work" phones. (TF3D being work since I am familiar with it)

But I can't seem to get it to work for ANYTHING. We need a mega-thread with a FAQ for this because noobs like me can't figure this stuff out.

Also I can't get the Picture tab to point in the correct location. It only seems to work for the My Pictures folder on the main storge. But I want it to go to my Internal Storage like it did with TF3D Album.

However, I must admit that it seems pretty cool if I could just figure out what works and what doesn't. (Dialers... manilla hacks etc.)

If anyone could just give me some tips or point me in the right direction for some Themes, Programs that don't work correctly or F.A.Q's for WM 6.5 I would really appreciate it.

Thanks again for everyone that posted and helped me out with this decision...hopefully with a little more help i won't regret it.

wmdunn 05-02-2009 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corey52 (Post 890855)
I just updated to 6.5 with Calkulins Rom. And....wow...this really sucks...lol. I'm trying to figure out how to use TF3D with 6.5. I downloaded the Calkulins Manila Engine 1.2.35348.2_1813.6. File in his thread and all i get is the "Tap here to start TF3d" "Starting TF3d" "Tap here...etc". Also i noticed that my old Dialer doesn't work either. I would LOVE to play around with this rom if I could only get TF3D to work so that I can switch to my "play" and "work" phones. (TF3D being work since I am familiar with it)

But I can't seem to get it to work for ANYTHING. We need a mega-thread with a FAQ for this because noobs like me can't figure this stuff out.

Also I can't get the Picture tab to point in the correct location. It only seems to work for the My Pictures folder on the main storge. But I want it to go to my Internal Storage like it did with TF3D Album.

However, I must admit that it seems pretty cool if I could just figure out what works and what doesn't. (Dialers... manilla hacks etc.)

If anyone could just give me some tips or point me in the right direction for some Themes, Programs that don't work correctly or F.A.Q's for WM 6.5 I would really appreciate it.

Thanks again for everyone that posted and helped me out with this decision...hopefully with a little more help i won't regret it.

Two pieces of advice ...

(1) Might be best for your first 6.5 experience, to just download a custom rom rather than building one from scratch. Most of the customs are based on some form of Calcu's kitchen, so simply choose one. Indagroove has one called the "simple" rom, give it a try.

(2) If you decide to cook your own, try one without manila, touchflo ... none are necessary with 6.5. I use a basic one cooked in Calcu's kitchen and find it quick, smooth, uncomplicated. If you'd like to know what I have included in mine, pm me.

corey52 05-02-2009 11:37 AM

I'm not trying to cook my own rom. I'm currently using Calkulins 6.5 Rom from Mighty's 4.8.

wmdunn 05-02-2009 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corey52 (Post 890907)
I'm not trying to cook my own rom. I'm currently using Calkulins 6.5 Rom from Mighty's 4.8.

Did you flash back to the "shipped" rom from your carrier, before making the change?