PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Diamond (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Opera "Mini tutorial" (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=62297)

nmoreman 03-28-2009 05:39 AM

Re: Opera Mini "Mini tutorial"

Is the jbed cab above the java program needed for the first step? I did search, and did not get a good answer.
Thanks.

Riley 03-28-2009 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmoreman (Post 805457)
Is the jbed cab above the java program needed for the first step? I did search, and did not get a good answer.
Thanks.

It depends on the rom you are using. Some roms already have a jbed cooked in, so you will not need this and can proceed to typing in mini.opera.com. Now if you try this and you get errors (very unlikely), then install the jbed on the first overtop the existing jbed, then it should work. Good luck.

Riley 03-28-2009 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubroz (Post 804874)
awesome right up.

request to add to your tutuorial:

1. how to set opera mini to be default browser,

2. how to make a shortcut in programs folder to opera mini (skip java and launch steps)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bean373 (Post 805164)
Yeah, if OP can show us how to create a short cut to open Mini without launching Jbed first it'll be awesome. It's not such a big deal, but saving a extra step would be great.

Hey guys, good suggestions. I will look into this but to be honest, I haven't done this myself. I usually flash so often that I like to set up Mini fast and furious.:)

nmoreman 03-28-2009 08:55 AM

I am running stock rom. I used to have Instinct, had to mess with java to get Opera, it would literally "fall off phone", nothing but a headache. As was some of the other issues, why I now have a Diamond!!

I think I will download Opera 4.2, see what happens in case the java is on stock rom, no need to clutter up phone and cause issues.

wmdunn 03-28-2009 09:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rileyd5 (Post 805485)
Hey guys, good suggestions. I will look into this but to be honest, I haven't done this myself. I usually flash so often that I like to set up Mini fast and furious.:)

Hey Riley, I think this cab, that was put together a while back will set up opera mini to open and close automatically, along with a menu icon. It probably contains an older version of mini, and it's probably not for VGA. That being said, it should give you a clue as to how everything needs to be set up. I would do it myself, but I'm not sure how to extract a cab file.

bean373 03-28-2009 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmdunn (Post 805558)
Hey Riley, I think this cab, that was put together a while back will set up opera mini to open and close automatically, along with a menu icon. It probably contains an older version of mini, and it's probably not for VGA. That being said, it should give you a clue as to how everything needs to be set up. I would do it myself, but I'm not sure how to extract a cab file.

Have not tried this but will this work? Uninstall the new version of Opera Mini. Install the cab file that wdunn gave. Then install the new signed version of Opera Mini which should overwrite the old file and hope the shortcut icon will be left alone and link to the updated Opera Mini.

dubroz 03-28-2009 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rileyd5 (Post 805485)

Found it !!! XDA has some instructions how to setup manually.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=398567

Maybe give some XDA credit and merge into your tutorial?

Riley 03-28-2009 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bean373 (Post 805799)
Have not tried this but will this work? Uninstall the new version of Opera Mini. Install the cab file that wdunn gave. Then install the new signed version of Opera Mini which should overwrite the old file and hope the shortcut icon will be left alone and link to the updated Opera Mini.

sounds like a plan. I would try but cant today. my computer has the mother of all viruses. I cant run any searches or anything. oh well, at least I have Opera Mini!!:headbang:, oh and a 6 year old laptop:disgust:

wmdunn 03-29-2009 09:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rileyd5 (Post 805862)
sounds like a plan. I would try but cant today. my computer has the mother of all viruses. I cant run any searches or anything. oh well, at least I have Opera Mini!!:headbang:, oh and a 6 year old laptop:disgust:

Man, sorry to hear about your computer. I had forgotten how quick Opera Mini was compared to other full browsers. So when I built my new rom in Calcu's kitchen, I decided to leave jbed out, and instead installed one of the latest versions. It's a little more recent than the one mentioned in the first post, but works very nicely with VGA (and takes care of the permissions). I have attached a cab. Also, if your eyes are getting a little older like mine, you can even enlarge the fonts per a post I found at XDA. Here's how ...

HKLM\software\apps\EsmertecJava\deviceinfo\javafon t

Size Large = 36
Size Medium = 32
Size Small = 26

Don't worry that there is not an Extra Large listed. Large equals Extra Large, Medium equals Large, Small equals Medium. I know it's a little confusing, but just make the reg edit, and then select Extra Large from the settings menu in Opera Mini.

Riley 03-29-2009 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmdunn (Post 809087)
Man, sorry to hear about your computer. I had forgotten how quick Opera Mini was compared to other full browsers. So when I built my new rom in Calcu's kitchen, I decided to leave jbed out, and instead installed one of the latest versions. It's a little more recent than the one mentioned in the first post, but works very nicely with VGA (and takes care of the permissions). I have attached a cab. Also, if your eyes are getting a little older like mine, you can even enlarge the fonts per a post I found at XDA. Here's how ...

HKLM\software\apps\EsmertecJava\deviceinfo\javafon t

Size Large = 36
Size Medium = 32
Size Small = 26

Don't worry that there is not an Extra Large listed. Large equals Extra Large, Medium equals Large, Small equals Medium. I know it's a little confusing, but just make the reg edit, and then select Extra Large from the settings menu in Opera Mini.

Great Wmdunn!! I have been trying to get this cab but couldn't find it. Thanks so much!! Will use this one instead and post it on the first page. Yeah, funny thing is the virus has crippled my machine using IE, but I am using Opera desktop right now and it works with no issues. I also can receive mail but can't send it. Strange but I am having it formatted soon to clean it out once and for all.:)

Also Mike, that is MightyMike gave me another installation tip which will work as well if a custom rom already has jbed built in. I was having some issue installing mini on his rom but he mentioned to do it this way. I assume this works as well if you have opera mobile installed already but most roms do. Great Stuff and thanks Mike for the tip!

Proper process would be to OPEN Java, goto MENU > Install > Browser.

Opera Mobile will load up. Goto mini.opera.com from opera and load it up.

Works like a charm