PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Diamond (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Turn off Data and still use GPS (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=51166)

proplayer44 12-30-2008 05:56 PM

Turn off Data and still use GPS

I'm Canadian on Telus and I travel to the States a lot. I would like to use my TOM TOM when I'm there but I'll get charged Data roaming. Is it possible to use TOM TOM with Data turned off. I attempted to test it once when I was there. I turned off the data and opened TOM TOM and it worked, but then when I looked at the DATA settings again it was back to ON all by itself.

O'Neil Mitchell 12-31-2008 05:51 AM

Re: Turn off Data and still use GPS

Quote:

Originally Posted by proplayer44 (Post 608784)
I'm Canadian on Telus and I travel to the States a lot. I would like to use my TOM TOM when I'm there but I'll get charged Data roaming. Is it possible to use TOM TOM with Data turned off. I attempted to test it once when I was there. I turned off the data and opened TOM TOM and it worked, but then when I looked at the DATA settings again it was back to ON all by itself.

I'm not an expert on the Diamond's Gps, but I am pretty sure that the phone needs the assistance of the data connection, to pin point your location.

Spr0ckEt 12-31-2008 06:03 AM

I thought it was the opposite. I DL'd TOMTOM 7 for my 6800 to use in areas without any cell coverage. It still works. But, then again, its not a Diamond either.

As far as I know, it should function the same.

PapaDocta 12-31-2008 06:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
there is a program called NoData use that to disable the data connection.. i use garmin and it needs to connect to the internet but with that program it doesn't and works fine.. try that

here program attached

stevedog1 01-07-2009 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaDocta (Post 609853)
there is a program called NoData use that to disable the data connection.. i use garmin and it needs to connect to the internet but with that program it doesn't and works fine.. try that

here program attached

Good Find. I could use this on my out of commission Touch for navigation! Sweet. Always had a hard time acquiring a signal with TomTom without a data connection......this should help then.

Thanks a lot.

spiffyjiff 01-07-2009 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaDocta (Post 609853)

here program attached

how does this work exactly - is it behind the scenes and does not let data connection open at ALL? or is it a program thru wihich you can turn on and off connection?

PapaDocta 01-07-2009 11:21 AM

nah it's a program where you can toggle data connection on or off.. very handy program

sungod000 01-26-2009 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaDocta (Post 623922)
nah it's a program where you can toggle data connection on or off.. very handy program

But doesn't the Diamond already have that function built in? "Conn Manager"

stevedog1 01-26-2009 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sungod000 (Post 669391)

From what I understand, it keeps data "off", even if a program attempts to turn it back on (like a GPS program). The "COMM Manager" doesn't do that.

intx 01-26-2009 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sungod000 (Post 669391)

The Diamond will automatically turn on the Data Connection, nodata forces it to stay off.