PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Diamond (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   What's GPS picture (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=40584)

Incubated 10-16-2008 03:12 AM

What's GPS picture

i was messing around with the camera, and its very fun and interesting. one of the interesting options, now that i got my gps working, is the gps photo, but i am not sure how it is used, or what it does. i am tempted to assume that it tracks my position and the pictures i take get assigned to the location of the map, should is earch for it, for example, but it sounds a little farfetched.

any one help me out on this one?

Keir333 10-16-2008 03:42 AM

Re: What's GPS picture

Quote:

Originally Posted by Incubated (Post 460623)
i was messing around with the camera, and its very fun and interesting. one of the interesting options, now that i got my gps working, is the gps photo, but i am not sure how it is used, or what it does. i am tempted to assume that it tracks my position and the pictures i take get assigned to the location of the map, should is earch for it, for example, but it sounds a little farfetched.

any one help me out on this one?

My guess would be that it attaches the GPS info(latitude/longitude/altitude etc.) to the file when you take a picture and your GPS in active.

Not sure. but like I said, that would be my guess as to what that option does.

-Keir-

holo 10-16-2008 04:27 AM

It will save gps information to your pictures, and this can be extracted later with a program on your computer. I am not sure if (but do not think) there are any applications that use the info on the diamond itself, but this was one of the kinda hyped features.

tg1.0 10-16-2008 11:38 AM

I've tried this, but I'm not sure that any GPS information is attached to the pictures. It is supposed to be embedded in the EXIF information, but Opanda IExif 2.3 reports that the latitude, longitude, and elevation of my GPS pictures are all zero.

Keep in mind that this shooting mode is normally hidden and must be enabled by a registry hack. Perhaps it doesn't work.

Edit: It works if it has managed to get a GPS fix. See this thread.

CNeufeld 10-16-2008 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tg1.0 (Post 460870)
I've tried this, but I'm not sure that any GPS information is attached to the pictures. It is supposed to be embedded in the EXIF information, but Opanda IExif 2.3 reports that the latitude, longitude, and elevation of my GPS pictures are all zero.

Keep in mind that this shooting mode is normally hidden and must be enabled by a registry hack. Perhaps it doesn't work.

Edit: It works if it has managed to get a GPS fix. See this thread.

The only guy I've heard say it's sort of working is Juggalo X, and his best result was 300 miles off. Every shot I've taken with it (even when Garmin XT is up and running with a lock) has given me 0;0;0 for lat/long/alt.

AFAIK, HTC and Telus/Sprint have never promised this feature, and as you say, it had to be manually enabled.

Clint