PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2007, 12:28 PM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealRemnant View Post
Why doesn't everyone just shut up about the subject and let the devs do what they're going to do?

You guys demand way too much. If you want a kitchen without the OEMs, remove them yourself. Period, end of story. Why should everyone be put through so much more work for something that someone can turn around and do themselves?
Because making demands is easy and cheap.

Personally, I don't shut up on the subject because I don't want the community to shut up on it just yet. You see, while the kitchen concept is pretty well established, the tools are a little, well, crude - they get the job done, but not much more. So, while asking about when the WM6 kitchen is going to be released isn't going to get it released even a moment sooner, making suggestions about what you would/would not like to see may be beneficial to the community - even if it doesn't make it into this kitchen release.

That being said, here's the list of features I have heard being asked for:
1) WM6 core
2) split the kitchen into "must have" and "might want" components.
3) save/restore kitchen selections
4) estimate wether you're trying to cram 10lbs of ___ into 5lb ROM.
5) some kind of version tracking for OEMs
6) ability to share kitchen configurations - without sharing the whole kitchen
7) get rid of the "over 18" message
merge createROM and buildOS
9) group the common "might want" components into a single volume for standardization
10) make it easier to uprade from one kitchen to the next

now, none of these relate to the WM6 core (except #1), which is what we're all waiting on. All of these relate to the kitchen environment, which I don't think the ROM devs are concerned with much (they have ROM problems to deal with, after all).

So, stick to making feature suggestions (and no, just because you suggest it doesn't mean anyone is going to implement it). You never know, you might get lucky and your suggestion actually get's implements (or better still, maybe it's already implemented).
Old 09-14-2007, 02:24 PM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

EtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuff
Here's the reason why I'm so adamant that people need to drop this.

Dev's get pissed off when people start demanding too much. These people are doing this in their spare time and they really don't have to bend to the will of the masses, nor should they be harrassed into doing so.

I know from experience that when you piss off the devs, they leave. I was one of the project members on OSx86 Project back in the day when Apple first announced they were going to go Intel. I was helping make the DVD bootable and installable on PCs and I got so fed up with people complaining that I just up and left it to JaS instead.

So seriously, chill out people. All you're going to do in the end is piss someone off.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2

specv is becoming a great contributor
Quote:

Dev's get pissed off when people start demanding too much. These people are doing this in their spare time and they really don't have to bend to the will of the masses, nor should they be harrassed into doing so.

I know from experience that when you piss off the devs, they leave. I was one of the project members on OSx86 Project back in the day when Apple first announced they were going to go Intel. I was helping make the DVD bootable and installable on PCs and I got so fed up with people complaining that I just up and left it to JaS instead.

So seriously, chill out people. All you're going to do in the end is piss someone off.

hmm i made the first reply to this said and basically expressed the thread shouldnt exist and i just got flamed

told ya so......

Quote:
Originally Posted by specv View Post
maybe if you rush them they will get it done sooner, or just let them do their thing. If this info was available im sure there would be a post about it
Old 09-14-2007, 05:20 PM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Quote:

Well spoken. In fact, that's why you don't see a single post from anyone claiming to be or recognizable as being one of the kitchen devs. It takes a pretty thick skin to donate your time and energy and then listen to whining and complaining from people who do nothing but benefit from your effort. (Sadly, it's usually just one or two losers in a crowd of normal people that really do the damage.)

That being said, it's also true that dev's like to get and usually benefit from suggestions for enhancements to their product. I was very careful to point out that nothing being requested had any bearing on the upcoming release or really any future release. In fact, I'd be willing to bet, based on shear technical difficulty, that nothing said so far in this thread has a snowballs chance in Hell of making it into the upcoming release unless it was already being worked on long before this thread came into existence. If everyone keeps in mind that nothing being discussed is likely to be in the next release and might not ever be in any release, I am confident the devs won't take offense.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:44 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Perasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIP
I can't speak for those that are working on the kitchen, but I'd agree that nagging just pisses people off. (Ask any married guy.) The point, I believe, behind this whole thread is to contain the question of "when" to one place that can be easily ignored by those who are kind enough to work on all of this for all of us for free. Otherwise, the bugs thread and the release thread and PMs and multiple posts in some off-topic thread would be popping up. Now that would certainly piss me off more than a single thread where one could just pop in and say "we're a week away" or "it's never gonna happen cuz we don't feel like doing it anymore." Either answer is fine with me, and when they have an answer they are willing to share, I'm sure it will be posted.

Projects: (PeraStats 1.7) (PeraCount with Clock 1.3) (PeraCount 1.3) (PeraProfiler 1.2) (S2U2Lock 1.1)
Old 09-14-2007, 11:00 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Whitestone
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

w0rdie is becoming a PPCGeeks regularw0rdie is becoming a PPCGeeks regularw0rdie is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Boo fucking hoo.

I am a developer... people who are looking forward to projects ask about release dates. Welcome to the real world.

Stop crying about inevitable curiosity.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Karmashock is a n00b
I'd like a good guestimate on the time I should check back for the new kitchen... will it be done in 3 months? or 6 months?... Just a ballpark figure that I can go by... and I won't ask again.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:56 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC diamond
Carrier: bell mobility

wasfi is a n00b
when someone is helping you treat them with the respect they deserve as they are not obligated to the help or you can make your own kitchen at least this is how i see it as i dont know any of this programing stuff till i got my 6700 i only knew the kitchen you cook your food in and am still hoping in help to get me out of bell wm5 2.04
Old 09-15-2007, 08:34 AM
OMJ
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC 10!!!!!

OMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I think some ppl posting in this thread are getting bent over nothing.....there's a huge difference between merely asking when it might be available or requesting a feature compared to "demanding". I've been following this thread & I dont see anyone demanding anything. I was just a simple question as to when it might be available, if someone is in the know & wants to comment, fine, if not, that's fine too........there's no need to add the negative remarks.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:45 AM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Man_Jenkins View Post
if someone is in the know & wants to comment, fine, if not, that's fine too........there's no need to add the negative remarks.
I demand to know if anyone knows!

Actually, I don't - my only concern is that our kitchen team for some reason won't get the bits from Helmi_c, and we won't ever get a kitchen. If they get the bits (or already have them, I don't know) then, like Keebler Elves, they'll work their magic and we'll get a kitchen. If they don't (and I worry about this because of Helmi_c's post at the bottom of his WM6 announcement/release topic: "I hope that no more rom or kitchen hijacker, creating kitchen or rom (especialy a ported one) is a hard and very time consuming and need a lot of study, trial, weeks or even months of study, you hijacker just mod a bit and put your names on it without even mention the real artist? thats cruel and I'm sick with it, its happens to me not only here at ppcgeeks"

So, hopefully he's willing to turn it over to the kitchen team, or make us a kitchen.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache