PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Apache (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   how do I add programs I missed when flashing my phone (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=50373)

stevesmz 12-23-2008 08:29 PM

how do I add programs I missed when flashing my phone

hi guys. I apparently forgot to add a couple of programs (drivers) when I flashed my drive. How do I go about adding them without re-flashing my bios. Also, is there any way to utilize my storage card for some of these programs instead of the tiny hard drive found in this phone. Please let me know. Thanks,

PDAPhoneJunkie 12-23-2008 08:36 PM

Re: how do I add programs I missed when flashing my phone

Hi, you will need to use the SEARCH feature around here in order to survive. Me and many others are willing to help but you will need to meet us half way there. That being said, I will get straight to the point.

You can find cab files of the programs in the kitchen. This is the better route to go instead of cooking 50 programs into the ROM. A ROM with less apps installed will be much more smooth. So I like to cook only a few apps in then install the rest trough cabs, when you use cabs you can install to a storage card or the main memory. That is not the best thing though. It always is better to install to main memory because of the card lags sometimes. There should be enough memory on the phone for programs. Just store your music, videos, pics on a storage card.

Have fun :)

weedahoe 12-23-2008 10:08 PM

And we dont flash BIOS, we flash ROMs. I know youre learning and it takes time. Like PDA said, find the apps and install it on the device. CAB files get transfered to the phone and installed from the screen on the phone. EXEs stay on the PC and with the PPC connected via USB you can install them that way.

dannzeman 12-24-2008 02:16 AM

I would disagree with PDAPhoneJunkie a bit. I've loaded up my roms to the max with apps and never had any problems with them. I didn't notice my 6700 running any smoother with a smaller rom on it.

Also, be sure to search and see what apps install nicely to the storage card and what apps don't. Most of them should be covered, and if you can't find it then go ahead and ask.

Good luck.

PDAPhoneJunkie 12-24-2008 03:04 AM

To each his own...

weedahoe 12-24-2008 09:11 AM

What he is saying overall though is there is the potential to have adverse reactions and compatability issues from several and various applications. If they are all cooked together there is nothing you can do about it because it is made INTO the ROM whereas if they are installed by cab/exe after the ROM is made then you have the control and are able to isolate the issue with uninstalling a particular app.

WHEW!!!!! Thats a long damn sentence.

hessien 12-26-2008 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weedahoe (Post 597987)

WHEW!!!!! Thats a long damn sentence.

At least you didn't repeat yourself redundently over and over again...