PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2007, 11:03 PM
Lurker

RDR1969 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wet 6700 Help - Fell in a lake.. hehehe

I fell in a lake today with my phone on my hip. ooooops. I was fishing with my daughter. Anyway, I took out the battery and let it dry in the car. Then when I got home I set it in front of the hair dryer for a few minutes. Everything is back in working order except the buttons around the joystick. (left dash, windows button, OK button, right dash, Green phone button and Red phone button) The joystick and joystick button works.

Any ideas? You think all will come back if I just let it sit overnight for a bit.

Help!!
Old 06-13-2007, 11:44 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
maybe... probably still wet. The usual suggestion is to keep it unpowered/no batt for 2-3 DAYS
Old 06-14-2007, 12:19 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon (via Alltel takeover)

answerman is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj
maybe... probably still wet. The usual suggestion is to keep it unpowered/no batt for 2-3 DAYS
What he said.

These devices are surprisingly resilient when it comes to things like getting wet. Since there are very few moving parts (the buttons and keys are all Hall effect sensors, I believe) there isn't much that can go wrong mechanically.

Do what the post above says... open it up, take the battery out, and let it thoroughly dry. If you have an air conditioner it wouldn't hurt to leave the phone near it... a/c cooled air is very dry and will speed the process.

Several years ago I lost my Moto numeric pager while shoveling snow... found it a few weeks later in what was left of a melting snowbank. Brought it inside, took the battery out, let it dry thoroughly, put the battery back in, charged it up, and it was good as new.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:01 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

bunnytrigger is keeping up the good workbunnytrigger is keeping up the good workbunnytrigger is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to bunnytrigger Send a message via MSN to bunnytrigger Send a message via Yahoo to bunnytrigger Send a message via Skype™ to bunnytrigger
the connector that goes to all those front buttons can keep water in it for a LONG time. Let it dry.

haven't you heard? corporations are the new government. They're constitutionally-exempt.

92% of teens have moved onto WoW. if you are part of the 8% that still play REAL games, copy n paste

Old 06-14-2007, 10:48 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

Penny is just getting started
My son had a 8100 one time that he forgot to take out of his pocket and I didn't check before I washed them. So needless to say when I took the clothes out there was a extremely clean 8100. It was useless or so I thought. I let it dry for a day and like you said some of the buttons didn't want to work but everything else did. I let it dry for a few more days (battery out) and it worked good as new.

However, my hubs dropped is 8200 in the tub for just a quick sec and it was toast. Never returned.....lol
Old 06-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

RDR1969 is a n00b
Thank you very much. Its Friday and everything is back in working order!!
Old 06-16-2007, 02:07 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Telus

redz1234 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to redz1234 Send a message via MSN to redz1234 Send a message via Yahoo to redz1234
glad to hear everything worked out in the end.. i would hate to drop my phone in the lake.

PPC History >> Axim X5, Axim X3, Axim X3i, PPC6700, HTC Titan, HTC Touch Pro 2
Old 06-16-2007, 03:06 AM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

EtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuff
Its amazing how durable these PDAs are...

PDAs and Nokias seem to be the way to go for durability.

I've dropped mine plenty of times... from some pretty bad heights... and there aren't any scratches or anything.

Hell, I don't even use a screen protector... and all I have to do is clean the screen every now and then. Its not even scratched and its been about 9 months!
Old 06-16-2007, 03:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC HD2 - TMOUS
Carrier: T-Mobile

DopeWeasel is just getting started
The trick I've always heard is to immediately soak the device in 99% rubbing alcohol for about 5 minutes (battery out of course) and then let it dry for a day or two. The alcohol will cause the water to evaporate faster and leave you with a clean and dry device.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pro

TekkieTag is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to TekkieTag
Soak like SOAK????? Hmm....

Where can i get this 90% alcohol i keep hearing about? I wanna get some for my service center. People bring in their wet phones all the time and i usually take them apart and scrub them down with alcohol using a toothbrush. Sometimes its works, sometimes not, but I hear this 90% stuff will work a lot better

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache