PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2007, 12:38 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Harrier, HTC Apache, HTC Titan, HTC Vogue....
Carrier: Sprint

colonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Can anyone get mobile shell to load from the ExtRom?

I have been toying with mobile shell for both an OEM module and just a plain install from the ExtRom. Anyway, it seems that when installing from the ExtRom, it installs alright to a point. The functionality is there, but icons in both the home tab and the "spb menu" are not there. It is almost like the icons are not there for some reason.

If you have been helped by me or would like to support developers like Olipro, helmi_c, and others please feel free to Donate

ALWAYS FLASH BACK TO YOUR CARRIER'S OFFICIAL ROM BEFORE TAKING YOUR PHONE IN FOR SERVICE OF ANY KIND

Old 02-22-2007, 01:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Jeff Kirvin is becoming a great contributor
I was able to install it from my Ext ROM just fine. Takes a while (the progress bar in AutoRun goes almost all the way to the end) but it works just fine. This is on my own custom 3.3 which I will probably post later.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:16 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul, HTC Apache

jamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jamesus Send a message via Yahoo to jamesus
Re: Can anyone get mobile shell to load from the ExtRom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel
I have been toying with mobile shell for both an OEM module and just a plain install from the ExtRom. Anyway, it seems that when installing from the ExtRom, it installs alright to a point. The functionality is there, but icons in both the home tab and the "spb menu" are not there. It is almost like the icons are not there for some reason.
Check Kirvin's post about his custom ROM. He has it load from his special Ext ROM.

That being said, it would be nicer to have as an OEM of course!

A mass of tears have transformed to stones now sharpened on suffering and woven into slings...
Old 02-22-2007, 07:28 PM
Retired Staff
Threadstarter

colonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuff
I spent days trying to get it into an OEM. It was killing me. Sneaky little bastards at SPB rename some files during install from the cab. I am close to an OEM, but still missing something. The spb menu softkey does not work and neither does the Now screen.

On, installing from the ExtRom, I have tried over and over. Really not sure why it wouldn't work, but it doesn't. It will not populate the "Today Tab" icons and it will not show the basic folder icons in the spb menu. I know it is not the cab since it will install fine when run from the storage card.

Jeff, out of curiosity, where do you have it listed in your config.txt? Just checking to see if it matters.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:35 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul, HTC Apache

jamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jamesus Send a message via Yahoo to jamesus
Quote:
I spent days trying to get it into an OEM. It was killing me. Sneaky little bastards at SPB rename some files during install from the cab. I am close to an OEM, but still missing something. The spb menu softkey does not work and neither does the Now screen.

On, installing from the ExtRom, I have tried over and over. Really not sure why it wouldn't work, but it doesn't. It will not populate the "Today Tab" icons and it will not show the basic folder icons in the spb menu. I know it is not the cab since it will install fine when run from the storage card.

Jeff, out of curiosity, where do you have it listed in your config.txt? Just checking to see if it matters.
That is very tricky of them. Maybe including the renamed files in the OEM works along with the old file names? That is a very tricky thing!

As for the config.txt...maybe the last line? What have you tried?
Old 02-22-2007, 07:42 PM
Retired Staff
Threadstarter

Yeah, tried the last line. No go.

The renamed files were simple once I knew what to look for. The just named there MobileShell._exe to MobileShell.exe. Its easy to see once I knew to look for it. Caused me about 6 hours of pain before I saw it though.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:23 PM
Retired Staff
Threadstarter

Still not working correctly. I have compared registries, files, everything I can find. Now I am starting to wonder if it is a 3.5 issue. I could really use someone else who is running 3.5 to confirm one way or the other as to whether it installs for them.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:53 PM
N00b

zerotrace992 is a n00b
Sorry for going off topic here... However I just thought I would let anyone know who was asking them self as i was.. "What is Mobile Shell?" Since it is rather new....

Basically it makes your Pocket PC just like a normal cell phone. While keeping all the Pocket PC magic....I have been using it for like 10 minutes and cant see myself going without it again....

To sum it up....I recommend it. .. Again sorry for the off topic rant.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:20 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:

It's the very first cab I install. And I would so love to see this as an OEM.

Interestingly, one of the key benefits listed in the reviewer's guide for Mobile Shell is that it's "built for ROM" and they tout how easy it is for OEMs to build it into their phones. Hmm...
Old 02-23-2007, 12:24 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerotrace992
Sorry for going off topic here... However I just thought I would let anyone know who was asking them self as i was.. "What is Mobile Shell?" Since it is rather new....

Basically it makes your Pocket PC just like a normal cell phone. While keeping all the Pocket PC magic....I have been using it for like 10 minutes and cant see myself going without it again....

To sum it up....I recommend it. .. Again sorry for the off topic rant.
Yeah, that's why I MUST HAVE IT on my phone and it would be so much easier if it was an OEM and preinstalled in ROM. However, as I'm a lightweight at building these things and this particular package is challenging the great and powerful Colonel, I'll have to wait for better minds than mine to crack this.

That said, I am reviewing it for JeffKirvin.net and I might email the developer (nice fella named Yaroslav) and see if he has an OEM package already built, since they tout Mobile Shell's embeddability as a feature.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache