PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Apache (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Greetings!!! This my HOWTO for cooking your own ROM. (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=2334)

vboyz103 02-06-2007 12:46 AM

Greetings!!! This my HOWTO for cooking your own ROM.

2 Attachment(s)
Thought I would share my findings with fellow members so people will have better understanding on what to do.

Download the tutorial and cook away. I tried to be as detailed as I can, please feel free to add if appropriate.

Let me know if i missed anything.

Enjoy!!

EDIT: In step 11, either paste the content of the exported reg file into the rgu file, or just rename the reg file to XXXX.rgu. (where XXXX is the UUID)

mherald81 02-06-2007 12:51 AM

Thanks a lot!

vboyz103 02-06-2007 01:04 AM

No problem buddy, of course this couldn't be possible without Helmi and others!!!

"Knowledge is PoWER"

zerotrace992 02-06-2007 01:23 AM

Good write up man... Makes it simple.

Wideawake 02-06-2007 01:52 AM

very nice writeup indeed *stickys* ;)
~Mike

helmi_c 02-06-2007 04:00 AM

cool stuff... very usefull vboyz103!

wingzero 02-06-2007 12:47 PM

Very detailed, good job.

kwyatt 02-06-2007 07:53 PM

i agree, very good writeup.... now quick question. If i want to remove things using the rom kitchen such as powerpoint and voice speed dial... and upx some system files, hwo would i go about doing that?

vboyz103 02-06-2007 10:38 PM

kwyatt -

Try delete the package from OEM folder so it won't get picked up by CreateOS.exe.

finster869 02-07-2007 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwyatt
i agree, very good writeup.... now quick question. If i want to remove things using the rom kitchen such as powerpoint and voice speed dial... and upx some system files, hwo would i go about doing that?

OEM only contains non-microsoft software. You need to delete the Power point file from a folder in OS (just do a search for ppt or manually search through the numbered folders).

By the way, GREAT write-up. Only thing I think you forgot to include his how to create the "shortcut". The initflash.txt file in your example will not work, because you never created the adobereader.lnk shortcut (it shows up in your picture of the directory, but I think you skipped the step of creating the .lnk file).

kwyatt 02-07-2007 03:27 PM

thanks... so i delete or upx the files in the os folder..

one more quick question.... in the initflasfile.txt do i have to create a directory first if it doesnt already exist? Or can i just tell it the directory to place the file and it will automatically create it?

finster869 02-07-2007 03:31 PM

It will automatically create it with the directory command. However, consensus seems to be to try and keep as much as possible in the windows directory, and only use lnk files in other directories. We believe that to try putting it in another directory results in the file being copied a second time thereby taking up twice the space.

jamesus 02-07-2007 03:52 PM

This looks like a great how-to, however I do not have a registered version of WinCE cab manager. How do you export the registry using another program? I looked at tutorial on this thread using this program but was unable to extract the registry. Any thoughts on this program or any others?

schettj 02-07-2007 06:00 PM

You don't 'extract the registry', you extract all files (it's the little folder icon)

http://schettino.us/john/ppc/extract.jpg

The registry settings will be in the windows\xxxx.reg file (whatever it is, it ends in reg)

[/img]

jamesus 02-07-2007 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schettj
You don't 'extract the registry', you extract all files (it's the little folder icon)

http://schettino.us/john/ppc/extract.jpg

The registry settings will be in the windows\xxxx.reg file (whatever it is, it ends in reg)

[/img]

I am able to extract the files, but seem to have some trouble when trying to locate the registry entries.

For example, I am testing this program on Total Commander. I know there is already a module, but I figured I would try and see if I can get it to match the module already available.

1. I extract the cab to my "Total Commander" folder in the OEM folder.
2. I navigate to the "Total Commander" folder. Contained in this folder are 2 more folders (Program Files & Windows) and a "Total Commander.inf" file.
3. Within the Program Files & Windows folder, there are no registry files, at least not appearant to me! (Program Files Folder contains a folder "Total Commander" and within that folder, there are 4 files: "cecmd.exe', 'ftp.tfx', 'LAN.tfx', and 'registry.tfx'. I assume that 'registry.tfx' is the registry file, but when I try to open it with notepad, all I get are a bunch of symbols. Windows folder only contains the 'cecmd.htm' help/FAQ file.).

That's where I am stuck. I glanced through the rest of the tutorial, and it seems that I need the registry entries, but I am stuck as to where to extract them.

Thanks for your help!

PaulFix 02-07-2007 06:56 PM

[quote="jamesuswithin that folder, there are 4 files: "cecmd.exe', 'ftp.tfx', 'LAN.tfx', and 'registry.tfx'. I assume that 'registry.tfx' is the registry file, but when I try to open it with notepad, all I get are a bunch of symbols. ![/quote]

That registry.ffx file is the add in for editing the registry from within TC

vboyz103 02-07-2007 07:28 PM

I can rapidshare the my version of WinCE Cab Manager. :)

PIM me if you need it.

schettj 02-07-2007 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesus

That's where I am stuck. I glanced through the rest of the tutorial, and it seems that I need the registry entries, but I am stuck as to where to extract them.

Thanks for your help!

Total commander does not have any reg entries... try another one!

jamesus 02-07-2007 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schettj
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesus

Thanks for your help!

Total commander does not have any reg entries... try another one!

Interesting...didn't know that. I'm going to try rlToday then when I get home.

allanak 02-15-2007 12:57 AM

Great writeup :) Of course, I find myself trying to do with with more complicated apps and run into some issues.

I go and extract all the files, but their install location isn't the same for all of them, say %InstallDir%\Sling Media\Slingplayer Mobile and some other files go into a subfolder of Channels (for icons, etc).

So I'm assuming that this method places the files in \windows since the writeup didn't specify anything else. What about packages that put files in multiple folders? I wanted to build slingplayer into my OEM, but it puts files in all sorts of folders, not to mention it has a setup dll and I don't know what to do with it.

Same goes with say...Palm SMS (for example! :lol:) Suggestions?

vboyz103 02-15-2007 11:51 PM

In your situation, what u can do is put all the DLLs and EXEs into the OEM, make another cab file and put in EXT_ROM for Channels in wherever the app is looking at (i.e: \Program Files\SLing Media\XYZ)

THat's what I did for Agenda One, SPB Diary, Wisbar, etc.

Good luck.

master_shake 02-19-2007 01:32 PM

with so many people wroking on such bigger problems I feel silly for asking this but.....

I cannot for the life of me get the initflashfiles.txt to copy my shortcuts from the windows folder for ANY oem except for 1, tomtom6

I don't get what I am doing wrong.

Any insight on why?

signal34 02-19-2007 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by master_shake
with so many people wroking on such bigger problems I feel silly for asking this but.....

I cannot for the life of me get the initflashfiles.txt to copy my shortcuts from the windows folder for ANY oem except for 1, tomtom6

Any insight on why?

I think the main thing is to make sure you save the file in Unicode...it's ANSI by default if you're using Notepad. See if that works.

master_shake 02-19-2007 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by signal34
Quote:

Originally Posted by master_shake

Any insight on why?

I think the main thing is to make sure you save the file in Unicode...it's ANSI by default if you're using Notepad. See if that works.

this is starting to drive me nuts

It works on oems I dl from the ftp, but if I create one myself it will NOT copy the shortcut

I have it saved in unicode format

I don't know what is wrong

nikki2beeps 02-20-2007 11:27 AM

I'm having this problem as well, if i create with wordpad and save as unicode it still does not work. One other thing i notice when comparing other peoples oem packages, When I open theirs with wordpad I get a square character between every letter but if I open mine with word pad i see the plain text.

brightedge 02-25-2007 04:32 PM

I am in the process of cooking my first rom, and I had a question that I haven't been able to find an answer to. I understand how to add programs to the rom, but what about themes? I searched the kitchen rom for .tsk files and found the guava bubbles theme in an OS folder, but that hasn't given me any clue as to how to add more. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

*** edit ***

With luv2chill's help, I got it to work. Needed to create a folder for the theme under the OEM folder, dump the .tsk file in there, create a <uuid>.dsm file in the same folder, and that's it. After I flashed with the new rom, the theme was built right in! :)

UnstoppableDrew 03-04-2007 12:07 AM

I'm having an issue with the tools. I modified a kitchen with my own tweaks, and ran CreateOS.exe to generate the temp/dump folder. I want to modify the splash screen, so I want to convert the dump folder back to nk.nba. I run dump_to_nba.bat, but it doesn't update the kn.nba file, or the imgfs_*.bin files. If I delete the imgfs*.bin files and run buildimgfs.exe it throws an unspecified windows error and prompts me to send MS an error report.
I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. Can anyone help ?
Thanks!

UnstoppableDrew 03-04-2007 12:24 AM

Never mind, I was working off two different sets of instructions, one for kitchens and one for old style. I just read the wiki article and learned about using CreateRom.bat, which worked.

elosogrande7076 03-11-2007 02:56 PM

is this for 3.3 or can u use this for a 3.5 rom?...if not where can i get instructions on making a 3.5 rom?..thanks
________
NellyHotness cam

Speedy2k 04-24-2007 01:48 PM

Thanx i as been really helpfull!

FSTNG 05-08-2007 09:07 PM

Is it correct that the .dsm files can be blank? I made a bunch of OEMs and I'm under the size limit but the phone hangs on the first boot screen. Haven't figured out what is causing it yet.

stifiling 08-03-2007 10:23 PM

how's everyone doin this with an unregistered copy of wince cab? i'm unable to export the registry.

I've been reading and searching for about 2 days now and not seeing much that explains this. searching through 1000 possible threads isn't a easy task also.

any help would be appreciated.

mellon 09-01-2007 09:30 PM

thx a lot for the writing

lefty11 10-12-2007 03:37 PM

extraction of cab files from ROM

please see my post and reply if you can assist me. Thank you

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...666#post100666

6800geek 02-27-2008 10:18 AM

Re: Greetings!!! This my HOWTO for cooking your own ROM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by allanak (Post 26367)
Great writeup :) Of course, I find myself trying to do with with more complicated apps and run into some issues.

I go and extract all the files, but their install location isn't the same for all of them, say %InstallDir%\Sling Media\Slingplayer Mobile and some other files go into a subfolder of Channels (for icons, etc).

So I'm assuming that this method places the files in \windows since the writeup didn't specify anything else. What about packages that put files in multiple folders? I wanted to build slingplayer into my OEM, but it puts files in all sorts of folders, not to mention it has a setup dll and I don't know what to do with it.

Same goes with say...Palm SMS (for example! :lol:) Suggestions?

Hey there,

I have been looking all over creation for an OEM SlingPlayer file. I have tried using OEMizer and creating my own with no luck. I see you were working on this as well and was hoping you may have had success. If you did could you hook me up with the OEM files or point me to a link where i can get them. This is the only missing piece of the puzzle i need to complete my personal ROM. ](*,)

yong0918 07-25-2008 06:33 AM

Thanks a lot!

dramacide 08-04-2008 05:32 AM

thats stuff dont work
:violent2:
Quote:

Originally Posted by vboyz103 (Post 23565)
Thought I would share my findings with fellow members so people will have better understanding on what to do.

Download the tutorial and cook away. I tried to be as detailed as I can, please feel free to add if appropriate.

Let me know if i missed anything.

Enjoy!!

EDIT: In step 11, either paste the content of the exported reg file into the rgu file, or just rename the reg file to XXXX.rgu. (where XXXX is the UUID)

nbland104 11-10-2008 12:19 AM

i dont feel like cooking my own rom will someone just give me a working 6.1 rom

weirdcomputernerd 12-24-2008 03:40 AM

Where IS the AKU 3.3? can someone give me a d/l link?
wcn

larado1 12-26-2008 10:06 AM

Hi I was wondering can a use a pre made rom like manilla 2d on my ppc 6700 from sprint and does it need to be unlocked?