PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Apache Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   trouble making a ROM (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=53595)

stephen2002 01-17-2009 09:48 AM

trouble making a ROM

I have a 6700 and am trying to upgrade to WM6.1. Every single ROM I try to build, including those with absolutly no additional programs, are too big to fit.

I have downloaded BuildOS and the updater and used the updater to download the packages for the Apache. My problem is building the ROM. When it starts up I go to "Create a New Project", select "Apache_WM6.1" from the top box and then "WM6.1_96DPI_QVGA_20931_0409" from the bottom box. It thinks for a bit and comes up. Great. I select my carrier (Sprint) and my bootloader (v1.0) and without selecting *any* of the extra applications from the list I go ahead and hit Calc ROM Sizes and it complains that it is too large for my device. The only one that isn't too big with nothing selected is the oldest one in the bottom list and even then there is about 2MB free, hardly enough for just Pocket Excel.

What am I doing wrong here?

I am running BuildOS on Vista 64 bit with 4GB RAM. UAC is turned off an I am an administrator.

stephen2002 01-17-2009 11:33 AM

Re: trouble making a ROM

So apparently just the calculate size feature is broken. If I go ahead and build the ROM it works fine.

gguruusa 01-17-2009 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephen2002 (Post 646794)
I have a 6700 and am trying to upgrade to WM6.1. Every single ROM I try to build, including those with absolutly no additional programs, are too big to fit.

I have downloaded BuildOS and the updater and used the updater to download the packages for the Apache. My problem is building the ROM. When it starts up I go to "Create a New Project", select "Apache_WM6.1" from the top box and then "WM6.1_96DPI_QVGA_20931_0409" from the bottom box. It thinks for a bit and comes up. Great. I select my carrier (Sprint) and my bootloader (v1.0) and without selecting *any* of the extra applications from the list I go ahead and hit Calc ROM Sizes and it complains that it is too large for my device

Calc rom sizes told you that? Where did you see that message? Calc rom sizes reports approximations - your actual rom will be smaller.

stephen2002 01-19-2009 10:43 PM

I was going by the progress bar just above the category listing. Every time I ran the calc rom sizes it filled up to the same point no matter how many things I selected.

No worries though as it worked great once I actually built the ROM. I'm now enjoying WM6.1 + extra storage memory since things like Google Maps, Live Search, and Opera are baked right in.

gguruusa 01-20-2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephen2002 (Post 652668)
I was going by the progress bar just above the category listing. Every time I ran the calc rom sizes it filled up to the same point no matter how many things I selected.

It changes as you select things, but the numbers it uses are before compression (hence why it overstates the fill level)