PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Apache Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   WM6.1 - voIP - today screen plugin? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=30025)

TechnoHippie 06-23-2008 11:30 PM

WM6.1 - voIP - today screen plugin?

Oook. I manged to get the voip working (for the most part - sound quality isnt not good).

Next thing is I want that cool looking today plugin for it to work. The registry points to voipcanvis.dll or something like that...anyway I checked an I do have such a file.

If I goto the items selection in settings for the today screen, I see it there too. 'internet calling' -- but if I check it, nothing appears on my today screen.

anyone got a workaround / fix for this yet?

thanks!

newcowrock 06-24-2008 04:30 PM

Re: WM6.1 - voIP - today screen plugin?

I have the same problem so sorry I don't have answer. Technohippie, Could you tell me how did you test the internet calling even it is not on today's screen, I don't have a clue to do that. Thanks!

TechnoHippie 06-24-2008 05:47 PM

What I did was install the wm6voip and voipsetup programs when I used the buildOS kitchen thingy. I setup a Gizmo5 account (www.gizmo5.com) and it works, but the volume is very low. I'm lucky enough to be a grandcentral beta tester (www.grandcentral.com) , so between all of these things I end up with free phone service as long as a wifi is around..hehe. You can tell if the voip is working without the today screen by looking at the dialer. It will show whatever you setup in the voipsetup program intead of your service provider (like sprnt or verizon). If you want to now the settings for gizmo5 in the voipsetup, I managed to figure that one out. As for the other voip providers, I dunno, but apparenlty its possible because I got it working here with this one.

newcowrock 06-28-2008 02:53 PM

Thank you TechnoHippie, I was travelling and will try again now.

sdruid 06-29-2008 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechnoHippie (Post 324466)
What I did was install the wm6voip and voipsetup programs when I used the buildOS kitchen thingy. I setup a Gizmo5 account (www.gizmo5.com) and it works, but the volume is very low. I'm lucky enough to be a grandcentral beta tester (www.grandcentral.com) , so between all of these things I end up with free phone service as long as a wifi is around..hehe. You can tell if the voip is working without the today screen by looking at the dialer. It will show whatever you setup in the voipsetup program intead of your service provider (like sprnt or verizon). If you want to now the settings for gizmo5 in the voipsetup, I managed to figure that one out. As for the other voip providers, I dunno, but apparenlty its possible because I got it working here with this one.

hey,
can you get me an invite from "Grandcentral"...
Thanks..

TechnoHippie 06-29-2008 07:33 PM

I wish I could. I got 10 of them a few days after I signed up, and had 3 of them left. A few weeks ago, that part of the webpage disappeared. I found out that google took away all the invites and now there is no way to get in. Really ticked me off too cause I didn't get to give away my last 3..grrrr. Hopefully they'll let some more people in soon. What I'd really like to know is how they plan to actually make money with the thing.

sdruid 06-29-2008 08:06 PM

what are the settings to use for Voip using Gizmo ?

Thanks...

TechnoHippie 07-02-2008 03:30 AM

Sorry it took so long to reply... here ya go:

In SIP settings tab:

Provider Name: (anything ya want)
UserAccount: 1747xxxxxxx <-yer gizmo number
Password: <- yer gizmo password
Registar address: proxy01.sipphone.com
port: 5060
UDP
Proxy Address: prox01.sipphone.com
UDS
URI address: sip:1747xxxxxxx@proxy01.sipphone.com:5060

In OPTIONS tab:

Outgoing calls using voIP: Whenever available
select the "enable voIP over 3G

hit done.

Now do anything that causes your phone to connect to the internet (like open a browser window)...then open the phone dialer. At the top of the phone dialer you'll see the name you selected (the 1st step here where you selected "provider name".

The only issue I've had is that its very difficult to hear the other caller, and obviously it works better with wifi if you have a fast dsl or cable connection to use. The sound is so low that the only way I can even hear the other caller is to use my bluetooth earpiece and be in a quite area.

I've also got gizmo5 account woking with the pocket pc version sjphone. It was more of a pain in the *** to setup, but the sound quality is excellent. Problem is that it uses 100% of your CPU to run the thing, and it uses the external speaker. I installed BT toggle and use bluetooth with it and it seems to work quite well.

What ticks me off besides the 100% cpu usage and the external speaker is that it's not using the native dialer either, so voice command and all that doesnt work. As you can imagine there are countless reasons it'd be better to use the internal dialer and voIP.

I don't understand why the sound quality is so different, only thing I can figure is that they're using different codecs - and I've attempted to install other codecs and manually editing the ipdialplan.xml file (I think that's the name of it) trying to get the low audio volume fixed, but thus far no luck. There is a thread on howardforms that has over 150 posts in it, and I've read the whole thing several times. Thus far I just haven't figured out how get the audio fixed to where it's 100% pracitial.

If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears!

sdruid 08-12-2008 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechnoHippie (Post 333966)
Sorry it took so long to reply... here ya go:

In SIP settings tab:

Provider Name: (anything ya want)
UserAccount: 1747xxxxxxx <-yer gizmo number
Password: <- yer gizmo password
Registar address: proxy01.sipphone.com
UDP
Proxy Address: prox01.sipphone.com
UDS
URI address: sip:1747xxxxxxx@proxy01.sipphone.com:5060

In OPTIONS tab:

Outgoing calls using voIP: Whenever available
select the "enable voIP over 3G

hit done.

Now do anything that causes your phone to connect to the internet (like open a browser window)...then open the phone dialer. At the top of the phone dialer you'll see the name you selected (the 1st step here where you selected "provider name".

The only issue I've had is that its very difficult to hear the other caller, and obviously it works better with wifi if you have a fast dsl or cable connection to use. The sound is so low that the only way I can even hear the other caller is to use my bluetooth earpiece and be in a quite area.

I've also got gizmo5 account woking with the pocket pc version sjphone. It was more of a pain in the *** to setup, but the sound quality is excellent. Problem is that it uses 100% of your CPU to run the thing, and it uses the external speaker. I installed BT toggle and use bluetooth with it and it seems to work quite well.

What ticks me off besides the 100% cpu usage and the external speaker is that it's not using the native dialer either, so voice command and all that doesnt work. As you can imagine there are countless reasons it'd be better to use the internal dialer and voIP.

I don't understand why the sound quality is so different, only thing I can figure is that they're using different codecs - and I've attempted to install other codecs and manually editing the ipdialplan.xml file (I think that's the name of it) trying to get the low audio volume fixed, but thus far no luck. There is a thread on howardforms that has over 150 posts in it, and I've read the whole thing several times. Thus far I just haven't figured out how get the audio fixed to where it's 100% pracitial.

If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears!

Are you sure the settings are correct, I couldn't make a call out using it ?
Does it support voip calls over WIFI, or is it just 3G ?
Is it just for outgoing calls only, or both in and out ?

Thanks...

TechnoHippie 08-15-2008 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdruid (Post 380746)
Are you sure the settings are correct, I couldn't make a call out using it ?
Does it support voip calls over WIFI, or is it just 3G ?
Is it just for outgoing calls only, or both in and out ?

Thanks...

hmmm. Mine seems to work with both WiFi and 3G, both incomming and outgoing calls.

Are you dialing 1+areacode+number? I tested mine initally by dialing 18005551212.

sdruid 08-15-2008 06:58 PM

No, I am not dial "1" before the number....do I have to, even if it is a local call ?
Another thing I noticed is that use of the "Voip" feature if setup in a different way other than the way you mentioned will cause the phone to freeze on incoming calls...
Just an observation....The Voip crashed afterward and I couldn't get back in to undo the change I had made "just testing the Voip feature"....so I ended up having to reflash the phone, and reload everything from backup...

Thanks...

TechnoHippie 08-15-2008 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdruid (Post 383985)
No, I am not dial "1" before the number....do I have to, even if it is a local call ?
Another thing I noticed is that use of the "Voip" feature if setup in a different way other than the way you mentioned will cause the phone to freeze on incoming calls...
Just an observation....The Voip crashed afterward and I couldn't get back in to undo the change I had made "just testing the Voip feature"....so I ended up having to reflash the phone, and reload everything from backup...

Thanks...

Yes, you need to dial 1 + area code + number for all calls.

As far as the problem with the voip crashing when not setup the way I have done it, well I haven't seen that before. I did have a problem with answering incomming calls at one point because my phone was responding very slowly - this turned out to be the ring-tone I had selected - the .mp3 file I was using was rather large and it created some issues.

sdruid 08-15-2008 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechnoHippie (Post 383771)
hmmm. Mine seems to work with both WiFi and 3G, both incomming and outgoing calls.

Are you dialing 1+areacode+number? I tested mine initally by dialing 18005551212.

Ok, I added a 1- and it still doesn't work...
looks like it tries for about 2 or 3 seconds then stops and saids "Call ended"...this is over 3G, haven't tried WiFi yet....
Do I need a paid Gizmo account for this because I only have the free one that came from the free full software download...

Thanks...

TechnoHippie 08-15-2008 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdruid (Post 384053)
Ok, I added a 1- and it still doesn't work...
looks like it tries for about 2 or 3 seconds then stops and saids "Call ended"...this is over 3G, haven't tried WiFi yet....
Do I need a paid Gizmo account for this because I only have the free one that came from the free full software download...

Thanks...

Well, that is going to be your problem, you need a paid account to dial most numbers.
However, you can still dial 1800 numbers for free, so you should be able to dial 18005551212 and it should work.

sdruid 08-15-2008 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechnoHippie (Post 384124)
Well, that is going to be your problem, you need a paid account to dial most numbers.
However, you can still dial 1800 numbers for free, so you should be able to dial 18005551212 and it should work.

Another observation, when I attempt to make a call with a 3G connection established, my 3G data connection drops instantly....
Meaning that now, the Gizmo connection never pops up as the call type or source...only my cellular carrier....
It doesn't work over WiFi at all.....

thanks...

sdruid 08-17-2008 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdruid (Post 384136)
Another observation, when I attempt to make a call with a 3G connection established, my 3G data connection drops instantly....
Meaning that now, the Gizmo connection never pops up as the call type or source...only my cellular carrier....
It doesn't work over WiFi at all.....

thanks...

My phone is totally dead now....dead as a door knob...
I guess making calls over Voip doesn't matter now...
Time to buy a new phone and probably not another smartphone but rather a regular flip phone...

Thanks..

pflatlyne 11-07-2009 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdruid (Post 385569)
My phone is totally dead now....dead as a door knob...
I guess making calls over Voip doesn't matter now...
Time to buy a new phone and probably not another smartphone but rather a regular flip phone...

Thanks..

I had the same problem. I used the kitchen but the plug in does not work on my titan. I created two tpad accounts. When I connect to tpad on the phone,the phone will ring and answer if I call from the other tpad account. It wont dial out,but I assume that the issue is the dialplan. In any event,it only works with the rear speaker which is dissapointing,but one unexpected thing is that if you have a bluetooth headset,and choose to use handsfree,it works like a charm over the headset. It would be nice to have regular speaker access too,but thats still very usable.

sdruid 11-09-2009 10:08 AM

Gizmo Voip not working now, anybody else having problems making calls using gizmo Voip setup ?