PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2008, 06:51 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

mlevin77 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
cooked new 6.0 ROM; please advise on these new behaviors

I just cooked my first ROM, from the 6.0 kitchen. In comparison with what I was using previously, the phoenx06 C&S ROM, a few things are different that I'm hoping someone can explain to me:

1) the whole responsiveness of the device seems a bit slower. I didn't load the ROM with too much stuff (I'd post the size but I don't know how to check ROM size). What is people's experience? Is there any reason this would be pokier than the phoenx06 ROM (created with an older version of the kitchen)? What determines the speed response of a ROM?

2) it no longer disconnects internet connection after ActiveSync (I sync over-the-air with an Exchange server). It used to disconnect right afterwards, but doesn't now. Can that behavior be changed?

3) happily, it now launches my Cyberon Voice Commander when I hit the button on my bluetooth earpiece (I had to put the right .exe path into a registry key). But, it does something weird: it asks "say command" into my earpiece, but then in the middle of my giving commands, through the earpiece, it suddenly goes back to speaking out of the phone's speaker. Then when the phone call connects, the earpiece turns back on. Something about the bluetooth gateway? what's making it go back and forth from earpiece to the phone speaker?

4) I'm using a new background (.tsk file) for the Today screen. But for some reason, it has two different-colored bands at the very top of the screen (where the "Start" menu is) and the bottom of the screen (where Calendar and Contacts are). The image used to extend over the whole screen, behind these bands. How can I fix that? I hate the different-colored bands on the top and bottom of the background.

5) worst of all, I'm getting this weird behavior with the spinning beach ball. It comes on every 5 seconds, spins for 8, and goes away, repeating continuously. It's quite annoying, and I don't know what causes it - I'm just sitting here in the Today screen, doing nothing, and watching this beach ball come and go. I currently have 10.85 MB free in Storage, and 20.71 MB free in Program.

6) I had cooked the ROM with WkTASK task manager, but I prefer X-button. I removed the link to WkTASK from my Startup folder, and installed X-button (which sits in Settings). I've got it turned on, but it doesn't seem to work - I don't see the normal symbol in the upper right-hand corner of every screen (even Today screen) that I used to use. What could be the problem?

I'm sure there will be more, but this is it for now... Any ideas would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Old 04-22-2008, 12:28 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: 6700

Verix is a n00b
Re: cooked new 6.0 ROM; please advise on these new behaviors

Mike,

You're having some weird issues. I'm using 6.1 Generic now, and it's so much better than WM5. The biggest plus to all of it is the threaded SMS in 6.1.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:13 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Imagio
Threadstarter

mlevin77 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verix View Post
You're having some weird issues. I'm using 6.1 Generic now, and it's so much better than WM5. The biggest plus to all of it is the threaded SMS in 6.1.
is your generic 6.1 as fast as the WM5? My 6.0 feels slower. And, does yours wake up the phone (and launch a voice dialer program) when you hit the button on your BlueTooth headset? If so, and if it's as stable as the 6.0 kitchen, I'll give it a shot. I don't need threaded SMS so much, but I do want it to be fast, stable, and work to be activated by BT button...

Thanks,

Mike
Old 02-28-2009, 05:40 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6700

ahatcher is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlevin77 View Post
6) I had cooked the ROM with WkTASK task manager, but I prefer X-button. I removed the link to WkTASK from my Startup folder, and installed X-button (which sits in Settings). I've got it turned on, but it doesn't seem to work - I don't see the normal symbol in the upper right-hand corner of every screen (even Today screen) that I used to use. What could be the problem?

Mike
I have searched far and wide in more than just this forum and cannot find an answer for this exact same problem. Anyone have any suggestions/directions?
Samsung Omnia

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development