PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Phone 7 Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=164)
-   -   Possibly switching to AT&T - Quesitons (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=150130)

WMFan85 05-23-2012 12:20 PM

Possibly switching to AT&T - Quesitons

I'm currently with Verizon with the Trophy. I do love the phone, however, watching all the AT&T phones go by is really irritating. So, I priced out a plan with AT&T and it's about the same price as what I'm paying now, but I can get unlimited mobile to mobile on any carrier.

My wife also has a Trophy and loves it, but really wants the Lumia 900. So she would probably get that and I would get the Titan II.

I have a couple of questions though. Can you tether with either of these phones? I know they were going to add that with Mango, but I just want to make sure and see if anyone is actually doing it. If I have to pay, I have to pay, I just want to know if it's available.

And my second question is how is their service? I haven't heard too many good things about their customer service, but I really haven't heard anything on their cell phone service.

If anyone can answer my questions, that would be great. Thanks!

eric12341 05-23-2012 02:27 PM

Re: Possibly switching to AT&T - Quesitons

Well if the price isn't that much different I would say go for it. Even though VZ is now beginning to open up to WP and they have been rumored to be testing a high end WP along with T-mobile. So if you want you can wait. As far as AT&T service,I don't really know for sure but they are slower than T-mobile but faster than Verizon,especially in non-LTE areas. In non-LTE areas on AT&T you can theoretically experience speeds up to 21mbps whereas on Verizon its only about 10% of that. Also compare the coverage maps in your area and places you travel to. If everything checks out well I would go for it, cant really go wrong with GSM either since its the world standard.

orangekid 05-23-2012 03:24 PM

I would say go for it just for the phone selection, you can use international phones too which is a big plus.

network-wise I'd say VZW is better just for the stability and coverage, but if you can get ATT reception at work and home you should be fine.

rootlinux 05-23-2012 08:24 PM

Personally my experience with AT&T was terrible. Service was horrible on 3G.
Customer service was ridiculous.
Had a customer rep actually hang up on me because they didn't know the answer to my question.
I figured it out on my own in five minutes after that.
I did call back and report the rep.

Cancelled my service after maybe a year and never went back.
The only reason I had them in the first place is because they bought out Cingular that I was on.

Search reviews for any carrier you may choose before deciding.
AT&T is known for not having good service.
Only reason they got so many customers was because at the time only they offered the iPhone.

Of course location is a big factor.
If you live in an area with good coverage then you will be ok.
Personally I would choose the one with the largest coverage map.
Nothing worse than taking a trip and needing your phone and it not work.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

steveo70 05-23-2012 10:02 PM

Yes you can tether but you have to pay. The LTE is fast if you can get it. I left from another carrier due to their lack of phone choice. I too found my bill to be the same price. I've had only positive experiences so far. My coverage is is far greater in the outlying areas here in St Louis. Experience may vary where you live. I actually enjoy walking in to a local store. I always have the door opened for me, am greeted as I enter, and I have never waited more than 5-10 minutes to be helped. This is the complete opposite experience from my 45 minute to 1 hour plus waits before. After cancelling 2 lines I wasn't even asked why I was cancelling, even after 10+ years as a customer. I wish I would have done it sooner in hindsight. As always, experiences will vary.

eric12341 05-23-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rootlinux (Post 2179498)
Personally my experience with AT&T was terrible. Service was horrible on 3G.
Customer service was ridiculous.
Had a customer rep actually hang up on me because they didn't know the answer to my question.
I figured it out on my own in five minutes after that.
I did call back and report the rep.

Cancelled my service after maybe a year and never went back.
The only reason I had them in the first place is because they bought out Cingular that I was on.

Search reviews for any carrier you may choose before deciding.
AT&T is known for not having good service.
Only reason they got so many customers was because at the time only they offered the iPhone.

Of course location is a big factor.
If you live in an area with good coverage then you will be ok.
Personally I would choose the one with the largest coverage map.
Nothing worse than taking a trip and needing your phone and it not work.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Seems that GSM over there is bad for some reason, always thought the south was AT&T's strongest region, especially considering that their headquarters is in Nashville.

schettj 06-01-2012 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WMFan85 (Post 2179453)
I'm currently with Verizon with the Trophy. I do love the phone, however, watching all the AT&T phones go by is really irritating. So, I priced out a plan with AT&T and it's about the same price as what I'm paying now, but I can get unlimited mobile to mobile on any carrier.

My wife also has a Trophy and loves it, but really wants the Lumia 900. So she would probably get that and I would get the Titan II.

I have a couple of questions though. Can you tether with either of these phones? I know they were going to add that with Mango, but I just want to make sure and see if anyone is actually doing it. If I have to pay, I have to pay, I just want to know if it's available.

And my second question is how is their service? I haven't heard too many good things about their customer service, but I really haven't heard anything on their cell phone service.

If anyone can answer my questions, that would be great. Thanks!

1) all carriers are within dollars of each other now... so price usually isn't much of a differentiator
2) Tethering plans $50/mo for 5GB, $10 per gb after. Works fine with any phone that natively supports tethering.
3) Service - it very much depends on your location. I have had Sprint, VZ, tMobile, and AT&T - they all vary in coverage. AT&T is generally ok everywhere, great in dense population areas, and just ok out in the sticks. Ask around and see how people who live and work where you do feel about the coverage.

With AT&T, if you can get their business direct/premier discount you also get much better customer service and save quite a few dollars :) - so check if you are eligible for that! https://www.wireless.att.com/business/authenticate/