PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2012, 10:25 AM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ok, so I have a Titan (Winphone7) now...

Odd that they reused the name, but given the not-so-secret truth that all WP7 devices are pretty much dead end with the release of WP8 due in December, I've gone the ebay route and picked up a NIB HTC Titan to tide me (and my subsidized device purchase) over until the new new WP8 devices come out. If Nokia is still in business then, they'll likely have something nice available. Given HTC build quality I expect the phone will just barely last until December

It's due in this next week, and will share time with my iP4 - it will be interesting to see which gets used more, sim flipping being the PITA that it is.

I decided to go big since this is essentially a throw-away device and I've heard from MANY sources that the 4.7" screen size is actually the "sweet spot" between mini tabs and the good old 3.x" screens. Figured I'd give both a go. Will be interesting to see if I can put the thing in a pocket and sit
Old 05-20-2012, 06:44 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Re: Ok, so I have a Titan (Winphone7) now...

They aren't dead end, WP8 will be pushed to all Gen 1.5 devices, maybe even Gen 1. Nothin' has been confirmed yet.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:11 AM
morsus mihi
Threadstarter

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
They aren't dead end, WP8 will be pushed to all Gen 1.5 devices, maybe even Gen 1. Nothin' has been confirmed yet.
Um... cough *I work for the evil empire* cough. Trust me, while something that appears like an "update" will no doubt be wedged in to appease the gods, you'll very quickly want new hardware with dual*cores and expandable memory, along with a much higher resolution screen.

So they'll only be mostly dead.

* or more

Last edited by schettj; 05-20-2012 at 09:18 AM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:43 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: tp2
Carrier: Sprint

woldemariam is a n00b
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
Odd that they reused the name, but given the not-so-secret truth that all WP7 devices are pretty much dead end with the release of WP8 due in December, I've gone the ebay route and picked up a NIB HTC Titan to tide me (and my subsidized device purchase) over until the new new WP8 devices come out. If Nokia is still in business then, they'll likely have something nice available. Given HTC build quality I expect the phone will just barely last until December

It's due in this next week, and will share time with my iP4 - it will be interesting to see which gets used more, sim flipping being the PITA that it is.

I decided to go big since this is essentially a throw-away device and I've heard from MANY sources that the 4.7" screen size is actually the "sweet spot" between mini tabs and the good old 3.x" screens. Figured I'd give both a go. Will be interesting to see if I can put the thing in a pocket and sit
i am exactly in the same boat as you. I bought a samsung focus s outright because I did not want to sign a contract on a WP7 device. I bought a the focus from craiglist and I am using it with a Straight Talk (no contract) sim card. I am still rocking my touch pro 2 (windows mobile) because I am waiting on Sprint to release a better windows phone device.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:42 PM
morsus mihi
Threadstarter

I am loving both the titan and wp7. kinda shocked.

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:56 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Micro$oft 950

steveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

Awesome news.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:13 PM
morsus mihi
Threadstarter

Ok so just about a full week in, here's what I'm finding...

LOVE the 4.7" form factor. Yeah. Weird. Thin makes it work. I still use my now simless iphone for some apps/games, Nav, etc, and retina display be damned, I really prefer the ability to see the screen even if it's lower res. The iPhone screen looks tiny now. No doubt the new Jobsless Apple will bump up to at least 4" or so, so eventually that "win" goes away.

Apps: There are a few that are missing, and I will miss them. Overall though, most everything I use is actually there, and free, so it's not really a massive loss - a handful of games and apps aren't there. The web browser being large and fairly decent at html5 gives me access to most content that those missing apps were wrapping, so that's a wash.

HTC vs Apple: Apple win. Yeah. Same HTC build quality. Nothing like making a phone with sides that are painful to hold. Simply Brilliant. Also, battery life is fine, but I am making to the end of a 16 hour day with 25% battery, vs usually in the 50s for the iPhone.

Cellular & Wifi & BT work as well on the HTC/WinPhone... wash

Speech. I didn't get Siri but the girls at the house got iP4s, we did a siri vs tellme face-off. Siri wins on cuteness. Tellme wins actually being able to do stuff. Like, when I get a text in the car, it *READS* the text to me, asks me if I want to respond, takes my response, and then asks me if I want to send it... all without touching the phone (which is in my pocket, connected to the car hands free BT.) Massive win. Also, for quick "send a text" messages as I am running between meetings, I can speak it in about 10 seconds and get it sent, with one press... Really liking that.

Visual Voicemail. AT&T fail. Maybe with Tango. iPhone wins by default. Mango supports it, but AT&T doesn't offer it on the Titan at least.

So yeah... I was originally expecting to use the WinPhone on Wifi and keep the sim mostly in the iPhone, but I'm still running the other way... gonna keep it that way.

Dev unlocked and working on some apps now. Fun. Nice SDK, too. Oh, and I can now take screenshots. Win!
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:09 AM
lt cmdr of a garbage scow
Pocket PC: epic 4g
Carrier: sprint

austin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
Ok so just about a full week in, here's what I'm finding...

LOVE the 4.7" form factor. Yeah. Weird. Thin makes it work. I still use my now simless iphone for some apps/games, Nav, etc, and retina display be damned, I really prefer the ability to see the screen even if it's lower res. The iPhone screen looks tiny now. No doubt the new Jobsless Apple will bump up to at least 4" or so, so eventually that "win" goes away.

Apps: There are a few that are missing, and I will miss them. Overall though, most everything I use is actually there, and free, so it's not really a massive loss - a handful of games and apps aren't there. The web browser being large and fairly decent at html5 gives me access to most content that those missing apps were wrapping, so that's a wash.

HTC vs Apple: Apple win. Yeah. Same HTC build quality. Nothing like making a phone with sides that are painful to hold. Simply Brilliant. Also, battery life is fine, but I am making to the end of a 16 hour day with 25% battery, vs usually in the 50s for the iPhone.

Cellular & Wifi & BT work as well on the HTC/WinPhone... wash

Speech. I didn't get Siri but the girls at the house got iP4s, we did a siri vs tellme face-off. Siri wins on cuteness. Tellme wins actually being able to do stuff. Like, when I get a text in the car, it *READS* the text to me, asks me if I want to respond, takes my response, and then asks me if I want to send it... all without touching the phone (which is in my pocket, connected to the car hands free BT.) Massive win. Also, for quick "send a text" messages as I am running between meetings, I can speak it in about 10 seconds and get it sent, with one press... Really liking that.

Visual Voicemail. AT&T fail. Maybe with Tango. iPhone wins by default. Mango supports it, but AT&T doesn't offer it on the Titan at least.

So yeah... I was originally expecting to use the WinPhone on Wifi and keep the sim mostly in the iPhone, but I'm still running the other way... gonna keep it that way.

Dev unlocked and working on some apps now. Fun. Nice SDK, too. Oh, and I can now take screenshots. Win!
reading this make me appreciate my android more.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:39 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin420 View Post
@austin420
and what does that contribute to this thread? That was really uncalled for, you don't see me in Android saying nonsense like that.

Last edited by eric12341; 05-31-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:16 PM
morsus mihi
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin420 View Post
I've used android up thru ICS. It sucks. Horrible UI. Horrible process model. Horrible everything down to, but NOT including, the Linux kernel. If nothing else it shows how a bunch of very smart engineers should never be allowed to design things for people to use.

I'd stay with iOS over android any day. However, I am finding WP7 to be quite a nice simple environment to actually use.

Notification app up and running in about an hour, including backend server... pretty nice.

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions