PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Phone 7 Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=164)
-   -   Sprint not too enthusiastic on Windows Phone 7 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=148677)

DavidinCT 01-11-2012 08:57 PM

Sprint not too enthusiastic on Windows Phone 7

From WPcentral...

Waiting for Sprint to introduce a new Windows Phone? I wouldn't expect anything too soon.
Sprint's Vice President of Product Realization David Owens let it be known that while the wireless carrier is bulking up its LTE lineup it will be with Android devices for now. Sprint may take another chance at Windows Phone in the August-September time frame.
"We have a Windows device in our lineup, but honestly, it hasn't done well enough for us to jump back into the fire. We told Microsoft: You guys have to go build the enthusiasm for the product."
Owens also stated the the number one reason the HTC Arrive, Sprint's only Windows Phone, was returned was the user experience. Sprint's Director of Product Development Lois Fagan added,
"We want to participate in the market, but we can't build that brand by ourself. We're cautiously optimistic, but [Windows Phone] just hasn't taken off."
The news shouldn't be much of a shocker. While the Arrive has been on Sprint for some time, Sprint has done very little to promote the Windows Phone platform. Android devices, on the other hand seem to be centerpiece of their ad campaigns. Can anyone remember any Windows Phone commercials from Sprint?
While Microsoft and the hardware manufacturers should do their part in promoting Windows Phone devices, but Sprint needs to step up to the plate as well.

Link:
Sprint not too enthusiastic on Windows Phones | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews

WOW, just like how I feel with Verizon....

Dr.8820 01-12-2012 12:03 AM

Wirelessly posted (ACS WP7 Guide Mango'd: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/5.0; XBLWP7; ZuneWP7))

...not to mention Sprint put the Arrive on the trade in website page for the iPhone 3 months after it came out...

eric12341 01-12-2012 12:14 AM

Re: Sprint not too enthusiastic on Windows Phone 7

So glad I'm not with them muthafuckers anymore

DavidinCT 01-12-2012 12:30 AM

Yea, Sprint is just as bad as Verizon...

I wish TMO or AT&T had better coverage, I might attempt a change myself. Verizon is not doing much better for options.

At least the Trophy is going to get a update, so maybe Vzw does care about WP7 a little, I just hope they find a way to get the Nokia 900/Ace... I want that phone

darren.wlsn1 01-12-2012 02:02 AM

could be because android just took over #1 slot over ios....

fixxxer2012 01-12-2012 02:06 AM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.7; en-us; Incredible 2 Build/GRI40; CyanogenMod-7.2.0) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I agree with sprints comments, sorry eric and no im not trolling.

steveo70 01-12-2012 03:05 AM

@eric12341 Glad I switched too. How can you give it any chance with one phone choice? I loved the Arrive but wanted away from the keyboard, wanted any increase in screen size, most importantly be able to send a simple text w/out the character restriction. I personally purchase an average a phone each year. Being a loyal Sprint customer since '99, I don't think it is too much to ask for more than 1 choice. I hold no hard feelings towards them but it was time to move on to a carrier that could fill my needs. When a provider only offers 1 phone choice for a year, how could anyone expect it to do well? Everyone likes choices and I'm not the only one who has divorced Sprint after a long relationship. Only had my Titan for a month and now ready to check out the Lumia 900. I admit most of us here are much more into phones/technology than the average user but 1 choice? What if your 1 Android choice was the Kyocera Echo, just sayin.

Dr.8820 01-12-2012 07:53 AM

Wirelessly posted (ACS WP7 Guide Mango'd: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/5.0; XBLWP7; ZuneWP7))

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixxxer2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.7; en-us; Incredible 2 Build/GRI40; CyanogenMod-7.2.0) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I agree with sprints comments, sorry eric and no im not trolling.

Please don't think I'm picking on you, but please expand on this...because I don't know why Sprint and Verizon doesn't put these high standards in place for other OS's? (anyone seen a 4g BlackBerry or iPhone on either of these networks...?)

Dr.8820 01-12-2012 08:19 AM

...just wanted to add that @fixxxer, show me one phone carrier of WP with a bad rating...the Sprint guy says returns were high because of "user experience"...the Arrive is one of their highest rated phones...the people who ACTUALLY use them don't have a problem....

darren.wlsn1 01-12-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.8820 (Post 2164078)

...just wanted to add that @Fixxxer, show me one phone carrier of WP with a bad rating...the Sprint guy says returns were high because of "user experience"...the Arrive is one of their highest rated phones...the people who ACTUALLY use them don't have a problem....

but i think "user experience" in the arrives case means the user hated it from what i read>

Dr.8820 01-12-2012 09:31 AM

Wirelessly posted (ACS WP7 Guide Mango'd: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_3; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.16 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0 Safari/533.16)

From what I'm reading and hearing from folks, most people are complaining about the data speeds, not the OS.

Dr.8820 01-12-2012 12:49 PM

Sprint users have spoken, Verizon link in the comments...

http://www.wpcentral.com/sprint-user...execs-comments

Riley 01-13-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.8820 (Post 2164107)

Sprint users have spoken, Verizon link in the comments...

Sprint users petition for WP7 after exec's comments | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews

Signed it as well. thanks for posting. Total BS they can't offer at least one updated w7 device before fall 2012.

eric12341 01-14-2012 01:17 AM

Not like their network could bring out the best in them anyway but still.

DavidinCT 01-14-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riley (Post 2164283)
Signed it as well. thanks for posting. Total BS they can't offer at least one updated w7 device before fall 2012.

Agreed 100%.... Verizon needs to get off their A$$ and give customers what they want, Not just what they think they want.

steveo70 01-15-2012 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riley (Post 2164283)

Also signed and signed it where it counts, cancelling my contract and moved on, letting them know specifically my reasons for leaving. Still don't understand how an OS can be judged by only 1 phone. To me it says take it or leave it. Even the non poweruser that might have never heard of "Windows Mobile" might simply NOT decide on WP7 and the "Arrive" due to screen size, keyboard,or manufacturer. Half the people I know simply buy phones on price, recommendation of the rep, friend, biggest screen size, no keyboard, thinnest profile, or lightest weight, advertisement (bad M$ bad), as well as, what everyone else is using (Android/Iphone). Still, one choice is not a good way to judge what people want when different criteria apply. It will be interesting to see how the "publicized" Titan II, Nokia 900, and the budget friendly 710 (esp Wal Mart) play out. Will our frustrations be justified that the average user will want Windows Phone? Not everyone cares enough to "jump ship" for a phone like I did.

afolayan702 01-15-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveo70 (Post 2164457)
Not everyone cares enough to "jump ship" for a phone like I did.

Your right, here in US the ETF holds a mythical power to people, and people are willing to sign 2 year contracts for devices that claim to be "future proof" aka 2 years worth of updates. Ironically if people truely cared about that, iOS and Windows Phone would be the logical choices. Not all Android OEMs can update or will update their devices to "Ice Cream" for example, and maybe they don't need to...

At first I was annoyed that Sprint wasn't bringing a new device to the table. They didnt promote Windows Phone other than a press release, and from my experience at the authorized retail store showed a lack of: placement of a running model, to education- from calling the phone "Windows Mobile", to how they handled the device, and reading from the box the features.

"User experience". The same can be said for any of Sprints devices that are only operating on their 3G network. The wait for another Windows Phone will not be so bad IF the next device is LTE/Apollo. I like the looks of the Nokia Lumia 900 and HTC Titan II, but I would rather have next gen software/hardware built into the device. I think we can agree that would be better than feeling like HTC Titan owners now...

Riley 01-15-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveo70 (Post 2164457)
Also signed and signed it where it counts, cancelling my contract and moved on, letting them know specifically my reasons for leaving. Still don't understand how an OS can be judged by only 1 phone. To me it says take it or leave it. Even the non poweruser that might have never heard of "Windows Mobile" might simply NOT decide on WP7 and the "Arrive" due to screen size, keyboard,or manufacturer. Half the people I know simply buy phones on price, recommendation of the rep, friend, biggest screen size, no keyboard, thinnest profile, or lightest weight, advertisement (bad M$ bad), as well as, what everyone else is using (Android/Iphone). Still, one choice is not a good way to judge what people want when different criteria apply. It will be interesting to see how the "publicized" Titan II, Nokia 900, and the budget friendly 710 (esp Wal Mart) play out. Will our frustrations be justified that the average user will want Windows Phone? Not everyone cares enough to "jump ship" for a phone like I did.

Best way to show your displeasure is to spend your money elsewhere, make sense Steve and you did the right thing. I certainly agree with you guys that one device is not enough and truthfully I'm surprised Microsoft didn't influence the carriers more to get a couple more devices in the fold at Verizon and Sprint.

Riley 01-15-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afolayan702 (Post 2164487)

"User experience". The same can be said for any of Sprints devices that are only operating on their 3G network.

Isn't that the truth. If the network is subpar so will the user experience on any device whether it be Android, W7, or the Iphone. Frankly my wife has the iphone on verizon and our 3g coverage is so bad in my house it made her dislike the phone. Logging onto facebook, streaming video, you name it was a chore. Of course wifi fixed that but the network certainly impacts the users experience.

steveo70 01-15-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afolayan702 (Post 2164487)
The wait for another Windows Phone will not be so bad IF the next device is LTE/Apollo. I like the looks of the Nokia Lumia 900 and HTC Titan II, but I would rather have next gen software/hardware built into the device. I think we can agree that would be better than feeling like HTC Titan owners now...

Hey, I am one of those Titan owners right now! LOL! It actually feels good. I at least know new devices are coming down the pipeline. If my complaint was no choice, I definitely can't complain about too many. I agree, I it will probably suck for those who don't keep up with the rumor mill but that's the nature of the beast.

fixxxer2012 01-15-2012 06:05 PM

I think verizon and sprint are waiting for lte varients of wp7 before releasing anymore of them. Just my two cents.

eric12341 01-16-2012 03:41 PM

That's bs because there are some LTE WPs going around now and they rejected them. The iPhone doesn't yet have LTE

alphaxi3 01-24-2012 12:08 AM

Why is everybody sweatin' this fanboy. All he will do is cost Sprint customers and money and he'll get canned. He's laughin' now we will laugh later.

steveo70 01-24-2012 12:29 AM

@eric12341 and I already canned him and having our laugh now, rather than later. I would have rather stayed but the lack of choice and support forced my move. My bill is exactly the same and I feel my $ is better spent. I just couldn't wait any longer.

eric12341 01-24-2012 10:22 PM

@steveo70 I moved because of their shitty speeds.

steveo70 01-26-2012 04:39 AM

@eric12341 I know why you left. I was only implying that we the consumers do not have to feel obligated to a contract and put up with unfilled promises, insufficient services or lack of phone choices. The common ground is the we put our $ where our mouth is, stood up and moved on. Neither settled and albeit only 2 customers, hit them where it hurts the most. I for one, gave them thousands of dollars since 1999 or so for what? We are not herded sheep. That's all.

eric12341 01-26-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveo70 (Post 2165937)
@eric12341 I know why you left. I was only implying that we the consumers do not have to feel obligated to a contract and put up with unfilled promises, insufficient services or lack of phone choices. The common ground is the we put our $ where our mouth is, stood up and moved on. Neither settled and albeit only 2 customers, hit them where it hurts the most. I for one, gave them thousands of dollars since 1999 or so for what? We are not herded sheep. That's all.

couldn't agree more.

brownhornet 02-23-2012 07:08 PM

With windows phone sales, or the lack thereof across all carriers I dont see how anyone could blame them. I said from the start WP7 wouldn't pick up much steam no matter how many phones they come out with because they still have the stigma of it being a WINDOWS Mobile phone and most people with experiences with them hated em.

They gained literally no marketshare last year so you cant be mad at a carrier for not wanting to take a risk and invest in a phone that's not gonna sell. That's just business...the same way Tmobile was the only one that really took a risk with Android. The difference is, WP7 won't blow up like Android did because of it's past OS reputation. People acted like I was trolling on here but I said this is how it was gonna go from the start.

eric12341 02-23-2012 07:15 PM

@brownhornet oh really? Is this why the radar and lumia 710 are the top selling and top rated phones on T-mobile right now? Reason for lack of sales is because the carriers haven't been trained on the phones or because they just don't like Microsoft and as such they sabotage sales. T-Mobile so far is the only carrier that is advertising WP, they have posters up in their stores and not a single commercial break on telemundo or Univision go by without seeing the lumia,in fact I've seen more WP commercials on those networks than I have with android.

dtrush 02-23-2012 07:40 PM

I'm just waiting for Google to start making their Motorola based Android phones and start pissing off Samsung, HTC and whoever else so that those companies will ditch Android and fall back on old reliable = Microsoft!

I'm not going to Android under any circumstances on a phone. Really excited about what we have now and what is planned for WP8. How could one go wrong?

--
Back on topic.... These carriers' employees just push whatever makes the most money for them. I recently heard about Microsoft pushing incentives to the sales reps and if that happens I think we'll start to see a swing for the better saleswise.
I have people all of the time talking with me about their crappy Android but not so much on the iPhone. The type of phone someone uses should be sold to them based on how they're going to use the device and not just because of the trend etc. - That's where the sales people fall down.

Looking for Nokia to wow everyone with that 900 next month!

gTen 02-24-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric12341 (Post 2170304)
@brownhornet oh really? Is this why the radar and lumia 710 are the top selling and top rated phones on T-mobile right now? Reason for lack of sales is because the carriers haven't been trained on the phones or because they just don't like Microsoft and as such they sabotage sales. T-Mobile so far is the only carrier that is advertising WP, they have posters up in their stores and not a single commercial break on telemundo or Univision go by without seeing the lumia,in fact I've seen more WP commercials on those networks than I have with android.

Which T-mobile are you talking about? US one? If so the top 3 selling phones for dec 2011 were:

#1-Galaxy s2
#2-HTC Amaze
#3-HTC Radar

The Top Selling T-Mobile Phones For The End Of 2011 Are…

Also, I don't think there is a conspiracy against MS :/, people of course will push users with phones they are more familiar with but again that is not exactly hating on the other phones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtrush (Post 2170305)
I'm just waiting for Google to start making their Motorola based Android phones and start pissing off Samsung, HTC and whoever else so that those companies will ditch Android and fall back on old reliable = Microsoft!

Never going to happen. It makes no logical sense for them to do this because Google is a software company not a hardware company. Google makes most of its money on Adsense so the more phones that use google the better for them. To say Google will privilege motorola over the others to make money on hardware would be like assuming Microsoft is going to stop making Windows operating system so they can focus on Bing.

Quote:

Back on topic.... These carriers' employees just push whatever makes the most money for them. I recently heard about Microsoft pushing incentives to the sales reps and if that happens I think we'll start to see a swing for the better saleswise.
I have people all of the time talking with me about their crappy Android but not so much on the iPhone. The type of phone someone uses should be sold to them based on how they're going to use the device and not just because of the trend etc. - That's where the sales people fall down.

Looking for Nokia to wow everyone with that 900 next month!
From what I understand most places tend to pay equal commission regardless on which phone a person buys. It may matter if its a more expensive phone, then yes they would probably get more commission. But I don't think its a platform thing. (Though iphone I hear is smaller commission in some places I hear). So if commission is the same, people most likely push whichever phone they themselves use just like all people.

eric12341 02-24-2012 01:24 PM

@gTen Number 3 is good that means that it's selling in addition to this I'm also starting to see more people with T-mobile windows phones on the bus and such (HD7 and radar, haven't seen lumia yet).

schettj 02-25-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownhornet (Post 2170303)
With windows phone sales, or the lack thereof across all carriers I dont see how anyone could blame them. I said from the start WP7 wouldn't pick up much steam no matter how many phones they come out with because they still have the stigma of it being a WINDOWS Mobile phone and most people with experiences with them hated em.

They gained literally no marketshare last year so you cant be mad at a carrier for not wanting to take a risk and invest in a phone that's not gonna sell. That's just business...the same way Tmobile was the only one that really took a risk with Android. The difference is, WP7 won't blow up like Android did because of it's past OS reputation. People acted like I was trolling on here but I said this is how it was gonna go from the start.

WP7 is widely expected to be the solid "third choice" and first choice for business users, cannibalizing RIM's market share, in the next 12-18 months.

The marketing and cash payouts to sales people are just starting to happen this spring. Check back in the fall and see how your prediction looks then.

Sprint sucks all around handset-wise, anyway... they didn't believe in the iPhone, either. They nailed that one.

schettj 02-25-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 2170408)
Which T-mobile are you talking about? US one? If so the top 3 selling phones for dec 2011 were:

#1-Galaxy s2
#2-HTC Amaze
#3-HTC Radar

The Top Selling T-Mobile Phones For The End Of 2011 Areā€¦

"Right now" is February 2012. It is highly unlikely that the Nokia phone, which had not been released in the US in December of last year, was the top seller in December of last year.

gTen 02-25-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schettj (Post 2170524)
WP7 is widely expected to be the solid "third choice" and first choice for business users, cannibalizing RIM's market share, in the next 12-18 months.

I don't think WP7 is a first choice for business users. The reason why RIM had the advantage was corporate mandated the use of RIM devices. Most companies I know that gave up RIM allowed users to get whatever they want and by the looks of it most of them have iphones :/

Quote:

Sprint sucks all around handset-wise, anyway... they didn't believe in the iPhone, either. They nailed that one.
Verizon is the one that didn't believe in the iphone, sprint spent everything they had to try to create the 2nd coming of the iphone ever since the original Instinct.

Quote:

Originally Posted by schettj (Post 2170525)
"Right now" is February 2012. It is highly unlikely that the Nokia phone, which had not been released in the US in December of last year, was the top seller in December of last year.

I only gave data for what stats are available. The radar was available thats for sure and I am pretty sure the radar is outselling the Lumia here in the US. simply because Nokia while HUGE abroad is nobody in the US at the moment. And considering the TOTAL sales of Nokia Lumia it would not be enough to get it first place. We will know for sure though once results for 2012Q1 come in though.