PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Phone 7 Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=164)
-   -   Anyone like the start menu on wp7? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=132638)

norcal 08-30-2010 03:11 PM

Anyone like the start menu on wp7?

I've been watching some videos on windows phone 7 and I think the start menu is really crappy. The functions are cool but it just looks horrible. Actually, pretty much everything I've seen looks pretty bad. What do you guys think?

DavidinCT 08-30-2010 03:50 PM

Re: Anyone like the start menu on wp7?

Not sure yet, I guess I would have to have some time with it.

I disliked 6.1's start menu, 6.5 is better but, it's a mess, only things that are in a folder are games and settings.

Maybe 7 will clear this up but, at what total cost (loss of current features)

AZTECHKA 08-30-2010 03:54 PM

You will not lose current features... Just the look of the home screen. It will be customizeable to a certain extent. I see it as a refreshing look. It looks very much like the Zune HD home screen. If you have a chance to play with one in person. You will likely develop an appreciation for it. unless you are a non Microsoft fanboi of some sort.
But I like it.
p.

DavidinCT 08-30-2010 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZTECA (Post 1929061)
You will not lose current features... Just the look of the home screen. It will be customizeable to a certain extent. I see it as a refreshing look. It looks very much like the Zune HD home screen. If you have a chance to play with one in person. You will likely develop an appreciation for it. unless you are a non Microsoft fanboi of some sort.
But I like it.
p.

I just keep thinking about, no file access, no cut and paste, no Remote Desktop app, no manually installable apps....I am a sort of MS fanboy but, sorry, it's the only thing that passes through my head when we talk about WP7....(the flaws)

As for the start menu, it looks interesting, the 10 min with the emulator seems ok, but, it's the real world useage for a few weeks before I can honestly say I love it but, as of right now, it looks better than current offerings.

AZTECHKA 08-30-2010 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidinCT (Post 1929074)
I just keep thinking about, no file access, no cut and paste, no Remote Desktop app, no manually installable apps....I am a sort of MS fanboy but, sorry, it's the only thing that passes through my head when we talk about WP7....(the flaws)

As for the start menu, it looks interesting, the 10 min with the emulator seems ok, but, it's the real world useage for a few weeks before I can honestly say I love it but, as of right now, it looks better than current offerings.

I hear you... Just remember that Cut and Paste will eventually come. file access will probably be handled via the cloud.
I can't speak for remote destop as I don't use it but manually installable apps are probably never coming back. It's not a bad tradeoff though. If you loose your phone. Your replacement will look EXACTLY the way your old one did as the apps you installed will be tracked by MS. No need to hold onto all those cabs.
I'm giving it a serious try and will stick with it for a couple of revision. If I trully don't like it... There's always an alternative or two.
p.

Tmair 08-30-2010 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZTECA (Post 1929061)
But I like it.
p.

So if we don't like WP7 then we are anti Microsoft?
Terry

AZTECHKA 08-30-2010 05:12 PM

No... I was referring to the apple or droid fanbois.
The ones that trully hate Microsoft.
I see how you may have been confused.
p.

Tmair 08-30-2010 06:18 PM

Ok cool, I don't hate microsoft, I use windows computers every day, I have had WM PPCs for a few years, switched from Palm when that OS died, now I am thinking I will be moving to Android once my device dies, it just bothers me that every one thinks they need to imitate that damn iPhone peice of junk. Oh yeah I almost forgot...in my opinion that is!
Terry

AZTECHKA 08-30-2010 06:44 PM

That't what I see to be the most refreshing thing about this UI...
If you are ever by Best Buy or somethingh like that, Check out a Zune HD. It's about as far as you can get from the iphone UI.
p.

Kris443 09-25-2010 12:21 AM

Like it? No - at least they got rid of the silly huge clock (note the now tiny clock), but they still have all that nice real estate tied up with just a few large boxes - and useless (to me) boxes like xBox and Bing. iPhone is still much better. Maybe by 7.5 ... I hope!!!

But in the meantime I love the way I set up my 6.5 !