PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Mobile Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   AC to USB Charger Question (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=76316)

nismo95tt 07-25-2009 07:19 PM

AC to USB Charger Question

Hi All,

I have a question about charging 3 separate devices with an AC to USB charger. I've been searching high and low to try and find the answer for- but so far, no luck.

I was hoping since this is somewhat phone related, that the knowledgeable members of PPCGeeks could finally shed some light on this one for me, with a definitive answer:

Here's the situation:

I've got 3 devices that I carry with me at all times:

Sprint HTC Touch Pro
iPhone 1g (for use as an ipod touch for music, apps, and games)
Jawbone2

I've got 3 separate AC to USB chargers that came with each product. Here are their specs:

Sprint HTC Touch Pro:

INPUT: 100-240V - 0.2A 50-60 Hz
OUTPUT: 5V - 1A

Sprint HTC Evo 4G

Palm Pre/Pixi:

iPhone 1g:

INPUT: 100-240V - 0.15A 50-60 Hz

Jawbone2:

INPUT: 100-240V - 0.1A 50-60 Hz
OUTPUT: 5V - 550mA

I'd like to ONLY carry one of these AC to USB chargers with me, to charge all 3 devices (one-at-a-time, obviously).

I'd prefer to use the iPhone AC/USB charger since it is physically the smallest.

Will it be safe (in terms of battery/device health, fire hazard) to use any of these single AC to USB adapters with each of the 3 different devices?

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can provide.

Ed Zachary 07-28-2009 03:17 PM

Re: AC to USB Charger Question

Being USB, all three chargers put out 5V. That's to be expected.
The TP and iPhone chargers can handle a one-amp draw. The Jawbone charger can handle a half an amp (550mA) or half the draw of the other two.

The phone chargers can charge the phones and the Jawbone without undue stress (they can handle the load).
The Jawbone charger cannot handle but half the load that the other two can. If the TP draws more than a half an amp, it will stress the Jawbone charger.
It will also take longer to charge the TP with the Jawbone charger. And it may not fully charge the TP battery.

Your stuff. Your choice.

boredandtattooed 07-30-2009 12:26 PM

use the TP charger, thats the device u wanna make sure is the most taken care of right.. go with that one IMO

alinosa 07-31-2009 02:28 AM

go with whatever puts out the highest current since they all have teh same voltage rating. if you were to try and use the jawbone charger for either the ipod or touch pro you'd risk a fire because the device would try to pull more current that the charger is rated for. I use my touchpro charger to charge my 32GB ipod all the time. it's great!

nismo95tt 08-13-2009 11:11 PM

Thanks for everyone's assistance!