PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Mobile Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Porting contacts & Appointments (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=40112)

kraski 10-11-2008 08:01 AM

Porting contacts & Appointments

I'm presently using an ATT 8525 on AT&T and should have a Palm Treo Pro next week. I want to port my contacts, appointments & sms messages to my new phone. Is the phonebook format the same for WinMo 6.0 & 6.1? I have SPB Backup & PPCPimBackup. Will those serve the purpose or is there something better (free or cheap) to port my info over?

Thanks.

Bill

kraski 10-12-2008 12:39 AM

Re: Porting contacts & Appointments

Quote:

Originally Posted by kraski (Post 454439)
I'm presently using an ATT 8525 on AT&T and should have a Palm Treo Pro next week. I want to port my contacts, appointments & sms messages to my new phone. Is the phonebook format the same for WinMo 6.0 & 6.1? I have SPB Backup & PPCPimBackup. Will those serve the purpose or is there something better (free or cheap) to port my info over?

Forgot to include the main reason I'm asking the above. The laptop I use for phone synch included only a trial version of Office 2003 and the trial period ran out before I got the 8525. The unlicensed Outlook won't import contacts & calendar events. And I don't see that it's worth what MS is asking for a license fee when my only use of MS Office would be phone synch. So, I need a solution that will back up my 8525 pim & cleanly import it to the Treo Pro.

kraski 10-12-2008 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kraski (Post 454439)

Well, I seem to be the only one posting to my own thread. But, in case anyone else has the same question any time in the future, here's the answer. For me it's RTM. At least the one for PPCPimBackup. :-) The manual clearly states it can back up contacts, appointments, tasks, etc. (mentioned email, but not SMS)on any version of WinMo 2003-6.1. The program can be found at http://www.dotfred.net along with some other interesting WinMo goodies.

Bill

Geekcop 10-12-2008 04:45 PM

dashwire is what you're looking for. it will b/u contacts, notes, SMS, email, pix, voicemail, and video. visit www.dashwire.com BTW..its free

kraski 10-12-2008 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geekcop (Post 455825)
dashwire is what you're looking for. it will b/u contacts, notes, SMS, email, pix, voicemail, and video. visit www.dashwire.com BTW..its free

Thanks. Just signed up & the app is downloading to my phone, as I type! :-)

Geekcop 10-12-2008 07:11 PM

Good to hear. Your first sync w/ Dashwire may take a while if you have a lot of stuff on your device. Also, unless you have an unlimited data plan, set your sync preferences to manual so that your device isn't connecting all the time.

kraski 10-13-2008 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geekcop (Post 455973)
Good to hear. Your first sync w/ Dashwire may take a while if you have a lot of stuff on your device. Also, unless you have an unlimited data plan, set your sync preferences to manual so that your device isn't connecting all the time.

The first synch was very slow. So, I stopped it & changed the settings to just do calendar & contact stuff. Then I switched back to everything & that was also much faster. Of course where I live has varying signal. My first attempt said I was at Edge speeds. ;-) And, yes, I am reset to manual. Unless there are changes in my SMS folder, contacts or calendar, I probably won't resynch till I restore to the new phone. Thanks, again.