PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Mobile Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   adding a slingbox (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=20634)

nickm 03-09-2008 09:51 PM

adding a slingbox

is there anything I should know about them before I buy one? Or is it as simple as hooking it up and your set? Any extra costs to them?

larcin 03-09-2008 10:07 PM

Re: adding a slingbox

If you want to use it on a PPC you will need to spend an additional $29.99 for the software. Also you will have to setup some port forwarding on your router.

nickm 03-09-2008 10:26 PM

It seems there a 4 types of sling boxes. But I couldnt find what the difference is. I just found a site that discribes what port forwarding is. I am going to read that.

Slingbox SOLO
Slingbox TUNER
Slingbox AV
Slingbox PRO

tivoboy 03-09-2008 10:31 PM

If you have HD, get a pro. IF you don't, get an AV. IF you want the SB to control standard cable, get the TUNER.

nickm 03-09-2008 10:33 PM

I am on satellite, do I have to watch the same channel thats on the satellite tuner?

larcin 03-09-2008 10:35 PM

I have the Slingbox PRO Its good if you want to use multiple sources for the video (DVR, Cable, Computer, DVD Player)

Slingbox SOLO ( Has allows you to connect to (1) video source that has component or RCA)
Slingbox TUNER ( Has only the tuner so you can plug in to just your standard cable)
Slingbox AV ( Has only (1) RCA In)
Slingbox PRO ( The mother of all Slingbox's it has the tunner, and you can plug in 3 other devices via the HDMI port the RCA and the S-video)

sc00pmz6 03-09-2008 10:38 PM

I have the slingbox classic that i got off of ebay for $50. Try looking for one of these if you are only trying to sling to your phone. I had the Pro and the difference in picture quality was not noticeable at all.

nickm 03-09-2008 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc00pmz6 (Post 208703)
I have the slingbox classic that i got off of ebay for $50. Try looking for one of these if you are only trying to sling to your phone. I had the Pro and the difference in picture quality was not noticeable at all.

I am actually looking on EBay right now. I found a couple of the classics. Do they have an RCA input as well as the tuner? I work lots of nights so my DVD library would be nice in the middle of the night when there isn't much on TV..

larcin,
Thanks for the description. Thats made it a lot easier on me. Thats exactly what I was looking for in terms of description.

markgamber 03-09-2008 10:48 PM

Yep, classic works fine for me, too. I use mine either with the phone or over the internet and the slingbox outputs much faster than the cable modem upload speeds, let alone the phone download speed. Since I don't use it on the local 100 mbs network, there's no point in paying for speed and features I don't use. To watch widescreen content, I simply flip the player to letterbox mode. Sure, it's not HD, but it's also not a 50" plasma screen and I don't notice any real loss.

Edit: There's no RCA input on the classic. There's coax for the internal tuner, S-Video and composite inputs.

rolo918 03-09-2008 10:59 PM

as far as port fordwarding goes on your router you do not need to know alot about it the software wil set it up for you automadicly and if not it will walk you throught it with pictures