PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Mobile Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Is windows mobile garbage? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=112211)

Skywarp 02-26-2010 07:40 AM

Is windows mobile garbage?

Excuse the inflammatory subject title.
But I need to vent

Ive been using windows mobile 6.1 for a little less than a year, initially on the touch pro and now the touch pro 2. Prior to that I was using Palm for ever.

Simple functions I took for granted on my Palm device I cant seem to work on Windows mobile.

I CANT consistantly sync my data with outlook. On both devices, mobile center in Vista just stops working, it doesnt matter how many times I reinstall mobile center, unclick for faster connection, it just doesnt work.

I CANT consistantly use reminders from my calender. Sometimes the reminder alarm just ceases to work. I can fix it temporarily, but then it will just stop working again.

Future calender reminders just vanish!

I havent flashed my device with any custom roms, dont have too many apps.

Am I doing something wrong or is windows mobile simply garbage?

Rhodium500 02-26-2010 09:39 AM

Re: Is windows mobile garbage?

1. your problem is vista because I never have issues with windows 7 or xp.
2. I also have my reminders work on my calendar. Maybe you are running a custom rom that has issues.

georgepa 02-26-2010 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skywarp (Post 1592306)
Excuse the inflammatory subject title.
But I need to vent

Ive been using windows mobile 6.1 for a little less than a year, initially on the touch pro and now the touch pro 2. Prior to that I was using Palm for ever.

Simple functions I took for granted on my Palm device I cant seem to work on Windows mobile.

I CANT consistantly sync my data with outlook. On both devices, mobile center in Vista just stops working, it doesnt matter how many times I reinstall mobile center, unclick for faster connection, it just doesnt work.

I CANT consistantly use reminders from my calender. Sometimes the reminder alarm just ceases to work. I can fix it temporarily, but then it will just stop working again.

Future calender reminders just vanish!

I havent flashed my device with any custom roms, dont have too many apps.

Am I doing something wrong or is windows mobile simply garbage?

I have an HTC Diamond and a Palm Treo 700wx working with Windows Mobile, and Outlook syncing works well on both, consistently, without problem. Calendars and appointment alarms also work well.

Try upgrading to a cooked ROM, and you will likely see your issues disappear. In short, whatever you are experiencing has nothing whatsoever to do with "Windows Mobile" as an operating system, as the items mentioned work for most everybody else.

BenC 02-26-2010 12:51 PM

I am running the stock Sprint 6.1 ROM and do not experience the problems you describe. I also was a long-term Palm user. Have you executed a hard reset and run the device for a few days to determine if the problem occurs with nothing installed on the device?

There are 3rd party applications that do not work properly and that do interfere with the proper operation of the device. About 3 months ago I installed a "simple" freeware timing program and suffered with missed alarms all over the place. Deleted the application, executed a soft reset and not a problem since.

DavidinCT 02-26-2010 02:18 PM

NO problem here with both of these.....Windows 7 and sync with this PC and a Exchange 2003 serer....everything works great..

Skywarp 02-26-2010 02:57 PM

I would like to believe that. But there are countless posts about these exact problems.

Are cooked Roms, more reliable that out of the box windows 6.1?
Ive been a little hesitant with all the problems I already have

Skywarp 02-26-2010 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by georgepa (Post 1592514)
I have an HTC Diamond and a Palm Treo 700wx working with Windows Mobile, and Outlook syncing works well on both, consistently, without problem. Calendars and appointment alarms also work well.

Try upgrading to a cooked ROM, and you will likely see your issues disappear. In short, whatever you are experiencing has nothing whatsoever to do with "Windows Mobile" as an operating system, as the items mentioned work for most everybody else.

I would like to believe that. But there are countless posts about these exact problems.

Are cooked Roms, more reliable that out of the box windows 6.1?
Ive been a little hesitant with all the problems I already have

snowplow54 02-26-2010 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skywarp (Post 1593248)
Are cooked Roms, more reliable that out of the box windows 6.1? Ive been a little hesitant with all the problems I already have

Absolutely! once you upgrade to a WM 6.5 ROM, you'll instantly be able to tell the difference. Will it solve all of your problems? I don't know. I never really used the sync with outlook feature, or had any problems with my appointments.

GirlGoneGeek 02-27-2010 02:12 AM

I've never had a problem with my calendars syncing, data erasing or anything you mention either. I've used WM 5 years now. I just started flashing ROMs actually and always ran Stock ROM. That may be what you want to consider if you can't find the right stable ROM, but I know there are several out there. :) Just keep reading.

gregjuice 02-27-2010 10:27 PM

i think it is total garbage. why should we have to void our warranty and waste our time flashing all sorts of ROMS, just to have a phone that on rare occasions will actually function correctly. It took the iPhone for Microsoft to even give a crap less about us PPC users, and now they are behind the times. As for 7, i guess we will see, but for now, i am abandoning WM completely. I cannot wait for my blackberry to come it the mail, so i can take a baseball bat to this POS!