PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General iPhone Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   how will the new data plans affect the new iphone (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=124109)

Boo Boo 06-07-2010 05:23 PM

how will the new data plans affect the new iphone

from what I can tell attws is going to screw the enduser now that the new iphone is coming out.

especially with video chat now a 2gb cap is going to hurt it bad.

i wonder if attws is doing this to get back at apple, since it seems the plans are vindictive agaianst apple users

orangekid 06-07-2010 07:48 PM

Re: how will the new data plans affect the new iphone

Well anyone who's smart will unlock it and use it on Tmobile, I agree ATT is just not the right network for this thing.

Biggzz 06-07-2010 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 1799727)
Well anyone who's smart will unlock it and use it on Tmobile, I agree ATT is just not the right network for this thing.

Explain please... doesn't att require you to have data with the phone? How much does tmobile charge? Total noob on the iphone side of life.

orangekid 06-07-2010 08:18 PM

ATT charges thru the roof. $40 minutes plan + $30 data plan with a new data cap I think 2 gigs or something, that doesn't include any texting or anything.

Tmobile no contract price is unlimted text, unlimited data, 500 any time minutes (free if you call anyone on tmobile) for $59.99 a month, can't beat it.

Biggzz 06-07-2010 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 1799821)
ATT charges thru the roof. $40 minutes plan + $30 data plan with a new data cap I think 2 gigs or something, that doesn't include any texting or anything.

Tmobile no contract price is unlimted text, unlimited data, 500 any time minutes (free if you call anyone on tmobile) for $59.99 a month, can't beat it.

So you buy an iphone with no contract then what?

orangekid 06-07-2010 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggzz (Post 1799912)
So you buy an iphone with no contract then what?

I use it on T-Mobile with that awesome plan...

mlin 06-07-2010 09:19 PM

The data cap won't have any effect on video conferencing because Apple already stated that this would be capable over WiFi ONLY. In AT&T's reports, 95% of users are below 2Gb/month and 60% are below 200Mb/month. The way I see it, this will actually save most AT&T customers money while screwing those that use more than 2Gb/month.

On another note, the new iPhone looks pretty sweet. I am not a huge fan of the OS overall and wouldn't buy another one, but damn is the hardware nice.

orangekid 06-07-2010 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlin (Post 1799965)
The data cap won't have any effect on video conferencing because Apple already stated that this would be capable over WiFi ONLY. In AT&T's reports, 95% of users are below 2Gb/month and 60% are below 200Mb/month. The way I see it, this will actually save most AT&T customers money while screwing those that use more than 2Gb/month.

On another note, the new iPhone looks pretty sweet. I am not a huge fan of the OS overall and wouldn't buy another one, but damn is the hardware nice.

well that OS4 is looking pretty nice too these days.

Biggzz 06-07-2010 09:26 PM

If i have done my math right a new att plan with 5 phones(2 iphones and the rest no data) with unlimited text and 700 minutes will be about 160...wooo, that is alot.

mlin 06-07-2010 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 1799981)
well that OS4 is looking pretty nice too these days.

Its not much different nor much more feature rich then 3.1.X. Sure, multitasking will work better than the jailbroken versions, but its still the same OS at the base which I am not crazy about.... It's a great phone, and an idiot proof OS, but just not for me. I did give it a go though.

On another note, I am amazed by how small a 3.5 in screen looks and feels after just 3 days with the EVO. I don't think I could go back to a smaller screen