PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Android Discussion (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Texting App using WIFI???? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=137721)

bswidner 11-30-2010 11:59 AM

Texting App using WIFI????

ok so where i live the service sucks on every carrier, but i have wifi. Is there an app out there for the android where i can text my contacts on my phone using wifi. i know theres skype and otheres for calling but u have to pay so is there any free ones. please help and thanks.

subprime 11-30-2010 01:12 PM

Re: Texting App using WIFI????

Doesn't google voice do this?

RidleyJ329 11-30-2010 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subprime (Post 2004654)

yes it does but i dont know if it would be able to do it accross wifi... you might be able to use this feature from your computer. not sure off the exact address.

might i suggest an airave? as long as you have access to your router it plugs directly in and boosts your signal including for text messages. in terms of it being free, just let them know that you are in a low coverage area and they possibly ship you one for free. thats i did after getting some advice from one of our members here

gTen 11-30-2010 04:59 PM

you can text via sending an email too..each provider links an email account with a text message server.

RidleyJ329 11-30-2010 05:09 PM

and how would that work? responses would just come back to your email?

gTen 11-30-2010 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RidleyJ329 (Post 2004797)
and how would that work? responses would just come back to your email?

yes...unless you set the reply-to to send it to your text message box or cc..otherwise yes responses will come to your email

OMJ 12-02-2010 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RidleyJ329 (Post 2004682)
yes it does but i dont know if it would be able to do it accross wifi... you might be able to use this feature from your computer. not sure off the exact address.

might i suggest an airave? as long as you have access to your router it plugs directly in and boosts your signal including for text messages. in terms of it being free, just let them know that you are in a low coverage area and they possibly ship you one for free. thats i did after getting some advice from one of our members here

airave is the best solution....check the sprint coverage map 1st using your address. if it shows no coverage @ your address, you should not have any trouble convincing them to give u a free airave & waive the monthly fee. worked for me....

another option is to buy a cdma booster, I had one b4 getting the airave, and it worked pretty good too. comes w/ an antenna to mount on roof/eave, coax down to a repeater box.

bswidner 12-07-2010 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subprime (Post 2004654)

i know yahoo messagnser does but idk about google voice. yahoo doesnt do it for all carriers though but thanks

TheBundo 12-16-2010 02:26 AM

You can text from inside your Sprint account online