PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Android Discussion (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Using phone to make and recieve free calls via wifi/3g (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=100470)

nighteyes 12-07-2009 03:06 AM

Using phone to make and recieve free calls via wifi/3g

WARNING: I do not condone use of this in replacement of a voice plan, and data charges may apply depending on your plan type. Just a word of forewarning.

Ok guys, I know this is probably elsewhere but I thought I would post a quick and dirty on getting your android phone to make and receive calls for free via your WiFi/3g connection using google voice web interface:

GoogleVoice, (not the android GV app, just using the web)
Sipgate.com,
Sipdroid (sip client for android, the only app to install on the phone for this method)

Before I start, I know there is a way to set it up to initiate calls from the phone instead of the web browser, but this process is much less involving and it doesn't need and sort of sorcery to make it work LOL, requires more work and will probably scare away the feeble minded ;)

..First, get GV set up (need to get invitation unfortunately)
..Register at sipgate.com to get a SIP DID number
..Download and install Sipdroid from the market on your phone

A.) Sipgate configuration
..under phone settings make sure disable forwarding to your cell or simply remove it as outgoing specifically from sipgate is not free, only receiving.
..Mouse over the "phone of *your name*" and click on SIP Credentials and keep note of the SIP-ID and SIP-Password and proxy information and write it down
..Download their softphone software for the PC and log into it. also allows you the ability to add and verify your sipgate number to googlevoice. (below)

B.) GoogleVoice
..Add your Sipgate number to Googlevoice and make sure it is set to forward to your sipgate number.
..uncheck "call screening" and turn off "call presentation" under the calls tab
..Test that you can indeed make an outgoing call by making a call via the web interface, in a few seconds your sipgate softphone will ring, answer it, and you should hear it calling the other party (i test it with 1800FREE411)

if that works, move on

C.) Android config
..open Sipdroid,
a. go to SIP config
..enter the SIP-ID and SIP-Password
..server is "sipgate.com"
..leave domain empty
..port is 5060
..protocol is UDP
b. call settings
..check off WLAN, 3G, Edge (if you use ATT or Tmobile)
..I set preferred call type to phone so I can make and receive normal calls via normal means
c. advanced options
..I set up a different ringtone so I know when a call is coming in via sipdroid and not normal.
..IMPORTANT..
with sipdroid activated, you should see a dot up in the corner, make sure it is TEAL and not yellow or red, that means sipdroid is connected to Sipgate
Thats it pretty much it for the config side.

Open up the browser in your phone and go to google.com/voice and log in. Since my phone syncs with gmail (contacts, etc) they show up under contacts. So unfortunately this method does not allow you to dial out with the phone, you need to use the web browser, but android resizes it smartly and is not that bad.

Now make a call either by clicking a contact or typing it in the call box. Your phone should ring using the different ring tone and the ID should be your GV num. If the softphone on your pc is open then that will ring as well but ignore it. Slide up on your phone to answer and you should hear it calling the other party in a few seconds of picking up.

Works incoming as well, have someone call your GV num and sipdroid should answer.

Hope this slapped together guide helps. It's the simplest way imo of doing this. I can live with this method of using the web interface to dial out as I am not going to use this primarily as my cell phone, as its only for when I have to make a really long conference call to a landline during work hours and want to not sap my 500 anytime minutes in one sitting ](*,)

Doing this makes it stupidly useful when I am in an area with crappy cell coverage but access to WIFI. Now I only wish you could turn on ONLY Wifi in those circumstances so your battery wont kill itself from looking for service >.< hahaha

It isn't perfect and YMMV and I'm not responsible LOL use at your own risk ;)

Goodluck!! Let us know your results, and please correct me if I am wrong about anything as I am writing this from memory at 2AM in the morning.

El Ha$oN 12-10-2009 08:46 PM

Re: Using phone to make and recieve free calls via wifi/3g

Quote:

Originally Posted by nighteyes (Post 1402983)
hmm, would have thought this would interest people I guess I was mistaken?

well i am interested but I have windows mobile. not sure how different it is to do it on that platform.

nighteyes 12-11-2009 01:45 AM

You'd have to find a sip client, i know there is Fring which allows you to configure a SIP for it, amongst it's other skype like abilities. it did work on the android before I got sipdriod to work, So...I think you can do similar by using that just look up configuring fring for a SIP.

D\/8 12-16-2009 08:18 PM

Great post... I think it should be sticked for future WM -> Droid users...

Hero in route so I will definitely be giving this ago once it's in my hands...

Thanks!!!

ww3kc 02-02-2010 10:49 PM

Great information! How will making a wifi call from Europe (to a US number) differ from making a call in the US or will it? Does anyone know if wifi on a Sprint Hero can be activated while the phone is in airplane mode, to keep the phone from searching for CDMA service and drainng the battery??

rainfreak 02-03-2010 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ww3kc (Post 1536422)
Great information! How will making a wifi call from Europe (to a US number) differ from making a call in the US or will it? Does anyone know if wifi on a Sprint Hero can be activated while the phone is in airplane mode, to keep the phone from searching for CDMA service and drainng the battery??

I don't have a Hero but every phone that I have had (TP2, TP, Diamond, etc) have worked successfully on WiFi with Airplane mode on, so I have to assume that the Hero will as well. Airplane mode turns off the CDMA radio, thereby killing the ability to have a data connection and place/receive calls, but WiFi still works.

rainfreak 02-03-2010 10:48 AM

Nice walk through OP, thanks. I'll check it out in the next few weeks and report back if I have any issues.

budney 02-03-2010 08:03 PM

This sound great! Will try it out in the next few days. 8)

ww3kc 02-03-2010 11:06 PM

Thanks for the airplane mode info! Does anyone know if VOIP dialing from Europe to US (from a US#) is different than dialing US to US?? I'm guessing since it's VOIP you don't need international prefixes like a landline, but since I've never done it, I really don't know. Can I just dial npa-nxx-xxxx as if I were in the US???

nighteyes 02-16-2010 09:54 AM

Thanks for all the positive feedback on the walkthrough :3 Glad to know this is helping. I figured may as well throw together a rough guide for others.

As for European calls, I haven't a clue. Don't know how it would work doing euro to US or vice versa.

Also, anyone who can add to this guide feel free to leave a post and I'll try and integrate it.

Tootles!