PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   CDMA TP Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   [ROM] 8/2/10 Generic JBTROM Bare Essentials WM 23569 Sense 2.5.2016 [UC/Sashimi] (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=128052)

Jbradthomas 08-01-2010 11:29 AM

Re: [ROM] JBTROM Bare Essentials WM 6.5.5 Sense 2.5.2016 [UC/Sashimi]

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdjones7 (Post 1892721)
JBT - a bit more info if it helps. My Verizon TP is spec'd to only have 192M ram whereas a Sprint TP is spec'd as 288M ram so I down about 90M to begin with. The mem tool reads 113.29 total, 51.63 in-use, 61.61 free on the stock wm6.1 rom after a fresh install. I did a task29 and then installed your rom and finished any customization. The mem tool reads 104.66 total, 78.44 in use, 26.22 free. This is not much but very comparable to what I find is available on Energy roms with Sense 2.5 which also do not work for me and lock up regularly. Your ROM ran well until I started running apps and I ran into the mem error if I was not diligent about closing things. NFS's 1.05 rom gives me 46M free after install and I was running into quirky issues with it when running sense. Swinn's rom (no Sense, with Titanium) gives me 56.76M. I am generally using Swinn's because my experiences with Sense roms and I do not find Titanium objectionable with a few appropriate tools (Home Screen Customizer 1.5 adds single site weather and fav contacts, Taskanium for task mgmt). Again, you did a great job and it was fast. I just think my phone's lack of ram gives me little choice.

Did you change your pagepool to 6? I have it set to 16. Pagepool changer is included in zip. Most Verizon users set this to 6. Sorry you are having this problem. No one else has said anything. Closing unused apps also increases battery life.

rdjones7 08-02-2010 12:29 AM

JBT- I had not tried changing the page pool as I understood a smaller size would affect (slow down) performance. I can try this and let you know the results. I appreciate the idea.

Sharkie405 08-02-2010 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdjones7 (Post 1893645)
JBT- I had not tried changing the page pool as I understood a smaller size would affect (slow down) performance. I can try this and let you know the results. I appreciate the idea.

Try setting it on "0". It's like auto, higher when you need it, and lower to 0 when you don't. That's my understanding of it anyway from what I've read. The Pros around here seem to agree that a 0 page pool is best. I set my ROM on 0 and it's pretty damn fast.

Jbradthomas 08-02-2010 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharkie405 (Post 1893670)
Try setting it on "0". It's like auto, higher when you need it, and lower to 0 when you don't. That's my understanding of it anyway from what I've read. The Pros around here seem to agree that a 0 page pool is best. I set my ROM on 0 and it's pretty damn fast.

I have tried setting pagepool to 0 and memory seems to slowly increase to over 100 in use. At 16 after about 48 hour memory is at 83.7, gwes is at 13348 with no programs running. With Opera 10 running, memory at 110.2, gwes at 13626. I try to keep memory usage as low as possible.

These results are with my updated ROM which will be available tonight if I have no problems with it today.

Jbradthomas 08-02-2010 07:18 PM

Re: [ROM] 8\2\10 Generic JBTROM Bare Essentials WM 23569 Sense 2.5.2016 [UC/Sashimi]

Updated ROM available in first post.

Fixed GSensor
WM 23569
Opera 10
Fixed messaging
Updated some packages
Generic carrier package

Let me know if its good, bad or ugly. :)

Working on a Full Essentials ROM. Will be aleast a week before I will have it ready. Leave me some feed back on what you guys would like as far as apps and manila tabs.

bifftobey 08-03-2010 09:40 AM

Re: [ROM] 8\2\10 Generic JBTROM Bare Essentials WM 23569 Sense 2.5.2016 [UC/Sashimi]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbradthomas (Post 1894713)
Updated ROM available in first post.

Fixed GSensor
WM 23569
Opera 10
Fixed messaging
Updated some packages
Generic carrier package

Let me know if its good, bad or ugly. :)

Working on a Full Essentials ROM. Will be aleast a week before I will have it ready. Leave me some feed back on what you guys would like as far as apps and manila tabs.

This rom is sweet I ran it overnight and the only issue I found was on the contact tab when you tried to link to facebook it restarted sense. That being said it would still eat to much ram for my liking. With PP set to 6 the phone would be at 15 megs in a hour with nothing else installed. I guess WM 6.5.x just needs to much ram for a VZW TP.

Jbradthomas 08-03-2010 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bifftobey (Post 1895710)
This rom is sweet I ran it overnight and the only issue I found was on the contact tab when you tried to link to facebook it restarted sense. That being said it would still eat to much ram for my liking. With PP set to 6 the phone would be at 15 megs in a hour with nothing else installed. I guess WM 6.5.x just needs to much ram for a VZW TP.

I have been running this ROM for 4 days with 16 pagepool, no reset, numerous phone call and text, some opera and I have 92.4 MB In use :scratch:.
I'am not doubting you. I just thought it would work good on verizon phones. Guess its back to the drawing board to see what I can do to reduce memory usage. Thank you for the input.

bifftobey 08-03-2010 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbradthomas (Post 1896459)
I have been running this ROM for 4 days with 16 pagepool, no reset, numerous phone call and text, some opera and I have 92.4 MB In use :scratch:.
I'am not doubting you. I just thought it would work good on verizon phones. Guess its back to the drawing board to see what I can do to reduce memory usage. Thank you for the input.

I didn't look to see how much was in use but it would start out with about 29 mb free after a reset but it would eventually drop to the 15 or so.

rdjones7 08-21-2010 06:12 PM

Re: [ROM] 8/2/10 Generic JBTROM Bare Essentials WM 23569 Sense 2.5.2016 [UC/Sashimi]

Sorry for not getting back to this for a while. Lost my job and looking for work. Tested BE2 last night & dropped my pagepool down to 12. Any lower than this the system becomes too slow and sliders become erratic in movement. I installed XTask so I could use its taskbar memory indicator to see the impact of running apps. I see the O/S come up at 62M and then rapidly drop down as other services and Sense starts up. Sense alone seems to take 20M. I settle out at about 30M free which is really good with Sense running so you have done a great job at paring things down as you've suggested. As I start to toggle between different Sense items (contacts, weather, calendar, etc) the system memory starts to drop off pretty rapidly and does not come back even though the items are no longer running. It's almost like it grabs junks and does free them back. On the Sprint phones this is probably not an issue but with the choked Verizon model it is clear that you run out of ram really quick. I found that a soft reset brings memory right back to 30M and I ran the ROM for a full 24 hours and found that all other things work as they should. This verson will work but a user will have to watch ram closely to remain effective. Thank you for the hard work on this!

rdjones7 08-21-2010 06:27 PM

Re: [ROM] 8/2/10 Generic JBTROM Bare Essentials WM 23569 Sense 2.5.2016 [UC/Sashimi]

Different train of thought about this since you are using Raidzero's baseline. Your ROM is one of the few with the newest O/S that has fully working icons for bluetooth. Is this a result of the kitchen or did you specifically work on this? I have tried several 6.5.x roms with Titanium only and found they fall just a bit short of being fully functional (from my perspective). I use a bluetooth device all the time and the indicator is important. Would the kitchen allow me to create a ROM geared around using Titanium only? I have found using Titanium is similar to Sense although not quite as good in some areas (i.e. Showaco Weather only supports a single city). It does allow me to add the Taskanium app which gives me rapid access to Outlook tasks which I use regularly.

The idea of building a ROM seems intimidating but then so did putting a new ROM on my phone when I started. For the moment I have gone back to NFSROM 1.05 using Titanium only and find it to be the most complete solution for my crippled TP. Free ram is about 40M (with an adjusted 12M pagepool). Performance is much better than under WM6.1.