PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   CDMA Diamond Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   opera 8.65 on wm6.1 vs new opera (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=72161)

alex jb 06-19-2009 12:14 PM

opera 8.65 on wm6.1 vs new opera

I'm super happy with the majority of the functions of my new Diamond vs the Vogue it replaced, other than Opera...

I had 8.65 on my vogue and although it wasn't lightning fast it was good enough, or so I thought.

now the new Opera that's in the rom's I've tried is much slower, adn the UI seems nicer looking but also slower to respond.
(EG, short cut to my e-bay home page)

Am I doing something wrong (cache too small?) or is it just the way things are with the page size and the vga screen?

With the hardware specs of the diamond far exceeding the vogue, internet surfing speeds seeming slower kinda sucks. :scratch:

smiznith 06-19-2009 12:41 PM

Re: opera 8.65 on wm6.1 vs new opera

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex jb (Post 984589)
I'm super happy with the majority of the functions of my new Diamond vs the Vogue it replaced, other than Opera...

I had 8.65 on my vogue and although it wasn't lightning fast it was good enough, or so I thought.

now the new Opera that's in the rom's I've tried is much slower, adn the UI seems nicer looking but also slower to respond.
(EG, short cut to my e-bay home page)

Am I doing something wrong (cache too small?) or is it just the way things are with the page size and the vga screen?

With the hardware specs of the diamond far exceeding the vogue, internet surfing speeds seeming slower kinda sucks. :scratch:

first off, wrong section..... you will prolly get flamed for this but oh well

second, depends on which version of opera your running. some builds are faster than others (i.e. 15613 is majority of ppls faves... its pretty quick)

pick a few and try them out... see which one you like

alex jb 06-19-2009 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smiznith (Post 984644)
first off, wrong section..... you will prolly get flamed for this but oh well

Ah damn, I thought I was just in the diamond section, forgot I was surfing for my next ROM to flash :(

I'm refering to the one cooked into mystery rom4... version 9.5 build 16453.

I'll go search for a lighter build then, I like the mystery rom so don't want to re-flash just to get a different version of Opera.

alex jb 06-19-2009 02:03 PM

many thanks,

I got the cab for 15613 from this thread
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...ight=15613+cab
and it is a hell of a lot quicker and I can see no features that I use that are lacking from being an older build.

Guess it's time to stop using other people's ROM's and try the kitchen thing... ;)

smiznith 06-19-2009 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex jb (Post 984810)
many thanks,

I got the cab for 15613 from this thread
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...ight=15613+cab
and it is a hell of a lot quicker and I can see no features that I use that are lacking from being an older build.

Guess it's time to stop using other people's ROM's and try the kitchen thing... ;)

lol i tried the kitchen thing, im just lazy and dont wanna research all the inside outs of making one. (waaaay to time consuming and flustrating when you cant get the help you need when you need it) but yeah 15613 is one of the best. i like the current one in mystery's rom. its very good.

monkeyboy 06-24-2009 12:38 AM

I agree that many times I find Opera 8.65 to be better...
Althought Opera 9.X is slicker and prettier, 8.65 is many times easier to deal with, particularly with all that zooming back and forth...

the Diamond hardware doesn't "far exceed" the Vogue... plus the Diamond's VGA screen means that there are 4X as many pixels to have to push around...

I think it is reasonable to want to have both Opera 8.65 and 9.X around...
Of course Opera Mini is by far the fastest... and I find I use that the most... it can easily be 10X as fast...

scrosler 06-24-2009 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyboy (Post 993107)
I agree that many times I find Opera 8.65 to be better...
Althought Opera 9.X is slicker and prettier, 8.65 is many times easier to deal with, particularly with all that zooming back and forth...

the Diamond hardware doesn't "far exceed" the Vogue... plus the Diamond's VGA screen means that there are 4X as many pixels to have to push around...

I think it is reasonable to want to have both Opera 8.65 and 9.X around...
Of course Opera Mini is by far the fastest... and I find I use that the most... it can easily be 10X as fast...

Correct. The processor is nearly identical in both devices. The only real change is the screen, the sensors and the extra memory. Yup and the processor has to work much harder because of the additional screen size but the device also has display cache wich the Titan / Vouge did not have.

AS far as opera... Yeah, I actually like 8.65 better myself. I tried many many versions of 9.5 and one version of 9.7. I actually 9.7 the best but its still betaish. Sites dont render well (well my website did not render properly: www.sskusers.net) on 9.7. Same sites render fine on 9.5

My fav build is 15954???? Something close to that number. Not at PC to check.

Anyway, my two cents.

alex jb 06-24-2009 04:06 PM

it may be down to the rest of the space being used but I've gone to groove rom 5 which has 15613 cooked in and it seems way faster than the 15613 buld I cab installed on the mystery rom.

mini is a good idea, I may install that too.