PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   CDMA Diamond Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Request... maybe more of a suggestion (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=61687)

gammarho55 03-19-2009 01:28 PM

Request... maybe more of a suggestion

I just switched over from the sprint touch to the new diamond, and of course, the first thing i do is make my way here to get my new phone started off on the right foot with a new rom. Well, the more I look through all these great roms, I'm finding that some are missing one of the key things i need, and what most newbs want to see first, which is the list of additional programs included in the rom. i know... this is probably a huge hassle to try and keep up a list that is ever changing, but for most of us non-"power users" the first thing we need to know is what programs are included. all of the roms i've looked at so far have very well-kept change logs, which is great for the person who is trying to keep up-to-date with the rom he/she is using, but for me, and probably the new influx of diamond/pro users, we just need to know the basic info that will most affect us up-front. maybe i'm pulling a "retard" and i'm totally missing something, which is totally possible... but i think this might save some chefs some pain and misery trying to explain their roms.

Thanks all the hard work and time you guys put into this stuff... my phones would have just been bricks tied to my waist had it not been for you.

intx 03-19-2009 05:55 PM

Re: Request... maybe more of a suggestion

It only takes a couple minutes to flash really, I know what you mean though. I was overwhelmed when I first began.

PS: Indagroove has a list of all his APPs for GrooveROM4

majorassface 03-19-2009 06:01 PM

Lol, had to laugh at the pulling a retard thing,, sorry. If you do take the time to read the change log I think you'll find most chefs include all the apps they include/remove. Agreed it can be a bit of a hassle reading through a long change log but that's where flashing and checking it out helps. Once you get used to a certain chefs rom you can just check the top of the change log to see if he's removed anything or added anything new with his latest release.

Oh and welcome to the forum!!Ooops I guess I should say welcome to the Diamond!!

indagroove 03-19-2009 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intx (Post 783759)
It only takes a couple minutes to flash really, I know what you mean though. I was overwhelmed when I first began.

PS: Indagroove has a list of all his APPs for GrooveROM4

I hate long changelogs myself. I personally prefer to just look at a list and know what's in there. I don't want to have to read 9 builds worth of changelogs back to figure out what Manila version a rom has.

gammarho55 03-19-2009 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by majorassface (Post 783777)
Lol, had to laugh at the pulling a retard thing,, sorry. If you do take the time to read the change log I think you'll find most chefs include all the apps they include/remove. Agreed it can be a bit of a hassle reading through a long change log but that's where flashing and checking it out helps. Once you get used to a certain chefs rom you can just check the top of the change log to see if he's removed anything or added anything new with his latest release.

Oh and welcome to the forum!!Ooops I guess I should say welcome to the Diamond!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by indagroove (Post 783823)
I hate long changelogs myself. I personally prefer to just look at a list and know what's in there. I don't want to have to read 9 builds worth of changelogs back to figure out what Manila version a rom has.

thanks for the help guys. i've been part of this forum for awhile now... more or less as a lurker, but i add my 2 cents when i think i know enough about a subject and won't be pulling a "retard" lol. i've just been reading about all the people who have traded up to get the diamond or pro, and this would just be a super easy way to help out the newbs and the not-so-newbs-but-are-still-learning like myself.

PS- indagroove, started off w/ your 6.5 rom w/ hd manila... just wanted to see how well it worked on the diamond, and since had just unlocked figured it would be the best time to try. and like you said, a few bugs like a beta will have so i switched to your 6.1 hd manila rom and is working perfectly so far. thanks for the great work.

lawmangrant 03-20-2009 08:44 AM

Also look at cooking your own roms with the kitchens.
rstoyguy has a big thread of OEMs for the kitchens, and that's really where the customization is at.

WarAxe 03-20-2009 09:00 PM

I use grooveROM myself, and I know that - unlike most other chefs who only keep changelog -- indagroove maintains a complete list of what apps he put in and what apps he kept out.

I think RSToyGuy does the same thing.

I feel for you... unless someone flashes each major rom and then takes notes about what they see they can only guess. :-)

atrn271 03-21-2009 09:40 AM

If you are flashing a ROM just because one has a program or not then that is the wrong way to go about it. By doing a simple search you are able to find most programs in a cab.

Mighty Mike does not have a long list of programs he puts in his ROM's like some other cooks, but once you search and find the cabs then you can load them yourself. I personally like Mighty's ROM the best but I also download a lot of programs for it.

gammarho55 03-21-2009 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atrn271 (Post 787327)
If you are flashing a ROM just because one has a program or not then that is the wrong way to go about it. By doing a simple search you are able to find most programs in a cab.

Mighty Mike does not have a long list of programs he puts in his ROM's like some other cooks, but once you search and find the cabs then you can load them yourself. I personally like Mighty's ROM the best but I also download a lot of programs for it.

not flashing for one program... its just easier for "newer" people- whether its people like me who have been here awhile or for the complete newbs- because coming from the sprint touch i know exactly what programs i need religiously and ones that are fluff. so when i look for a rom, i try to find one that has the most of what i need w/o having to go hunting for it. and when you change to a new phone, you never know what some of these programs are that the chefs add w/o doing a ton of research. it just makes it so much easier if you know whats in there before you flash to a rom.