PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   CDMA Diamond Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   reverting to stock rom b4 flashing good? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=60784)

nsx-g88 03-12-2009 12:02 AM

reverting to stock rom b4 flashing good?

do you guys think before flashing to a new rom to first flash it back to stock then go on with the new one?

does it make a difference, and how many of you do this, let me know. thanks.

MrObvious 03-12-2009 12:03 AM

Re: reverting to stock rom b4 flashing good?

If you have flashed a stock ROM before then you are fine. I say it's bullcrap unless the ROM you flashed messed with the carrier settings.

gazment 03-12-2009 12:31 AM

I don't know why, but many of the roms have issues if you don't flash to stock first. I just follow the advice of advanced users and always flash to stock first.

Donatom3 03-12-2009 12:54 AM

Man I've flashed over 30 roms since being on my last stock rom. I don't see a reason why you'd need to unless like MrObvious said the rom messed with the carrier settings.

nsx-g88 03-12-2009 12:55 AM

the reason I am asking is that after every flash to a new rom, there's always little problems that are quite annoying.

for example sake, just after flashing mighty's 4.5 rom, I find that all my apps installed on the internal storage always have a problem loading. I know this is not the right place to discuss mighty's rom but do you think that can be in correlation to not flashing to stock first.

frankly speaking I have never flashed to stock before proceeding with the new rom.

lawmangrant 03-12-2009 01:31 AM

I have had to flash back to stock before because I went into a hard reset cycle.

But as practice, I don't flash back to stock, "just to do it"

rstoyguy 03-12-2009 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gazment (Post 766734)
I don't know why, but many of the roms have issues if you don't flash to stock first. I just follow the advice of advanced users and always flash to stock first.

Advanced users? lol... Your probably in that one thread....

Two reasons I'd flash the stock b4 flashing....
1. I let customizations run on a different carrier's stock release. (messed up my carrier settings...)
2. If I was lazy and wanted the stock bootsplash back on my device.

No offense, but if you are doing this for other than the above two reasons, your wasting your time. When I first got my diamond and started reading this forum, I quickly came to the conclusion you all have been listening to people whose only goal was to get you to press that little orange button. That's why I oppose them so openly.

Aren't you guys n gals glad that you have me and my "no B.S.", "tell you like it is" attitude? And just because you may have an orange button DOES NOT MAKE YOU BAD and does not mean my comments are refering to you... Most mean well, and most do some awsome work. I have even donated to some if I deem their work worthy.

gazment 03-12-2009 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rstoyguy (Post 766914)
Advanced users? lol... Your probably in that one thread....

Pretty harsh... Maybe I was in that one thread, and maybe there was an orange button, but you can't prove that I pushed it!:scratch:

jsvt3 03-12-2009 03:14 AM

I don't flash to stock first and have yet to run into any problems.

WarAxe 03-12-2009 11:28 PM

Sometimes there are problems that can only be fixed by starting from a "fresh" phone. It may be overly conservative (and time-killing), but if you want to be uber-careful -- and if you are having more serious issues, like boot-freeze and looped-flashing -- then do the following:

1) Flash latest OFFICIAL -shipped- (not stock)
2) Wait for phone to complete resets and installations
3) Flash radio of choice (or not)
4) Flash custom ROM of choice
5) Wait for phone to complete resets and installations
6) Clear storage (with or without formatting internal memory)
7) Wait for phone to complete resets and installations
:cool: Enjoy!