PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   CDMA Diamond Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Sprint TV sucks in custom ROMs (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44811)

jonnythan 11-14-2008 12:43 PM

Sprint TV sucks in custom ROMs

In every ROM I try, Sprint TV sucks. In portrait mode, audio and video are never synced. In full-screen mode, the video moves at half speed and skips handfuls of frames every couple of seconds to catch up. It's totally unwatchable.

But on the stock Sprint ROM, TV works beautifully.

Anyone know why this is? Is there any fix?

Donatom3 11-14-2008 02:09 PM

Re: Sprint TV sucks in custom ROMs

See this

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=43502

I built, a rom using TC's kitchen in the sticky using the new 20757 sys, and sprint tv works fine for me.

ilkevinli 11-14-2008 02:30 PM

Why don't you just use the stock Sprint rom ?

jonnythan 11-14-2008 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilkevinli (Post 519268)
Why don't you just use the stock Sprint rom ?

Bugs, battery life, slow, etc.

Mr. X 11-14-2008 02:35 PM

sprint tv suck ballz to get working on custom roms. have some appreciation that it works at all its not easy task. its a pain in the arse.

violent31601 11-14-2008 02:36 PM

Sprint TV sucks period!

jonnythan 11-14-2008 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juggalo_X (Post 519290)
sprint tv suck ballz to get working on custom roms. have some appreciation that it works at all its not easy task. its a pain in the arse.

I certainly have a lot of appreciation for all the work these guys do. But I love Sprint TV and it frustrates me to no end that it works perfectly (good enough to enjoyable watch an NFL game!) on an old Moto Q9c but sucks on my Diamond.

Appreciation is nice and all, but, since it seems to work well on the stock ROM, it seems that a fix should be possible.

Donatom3 11-14-2008 02:40 PM

Like I've been saying, with the kitchen I made using TC's 20757 sys, I've had no problem with Sprint TV. Of course I didn't use it much before. But I just tried it 10 minutes ago with the NFL network and had no problem.

Mr. X 11-14-2008 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnythan (Post 519302)
I certainly have a lot of appreciation for all the work these guys do. But I love Sprint TV and it frustrates me to no end that it works perfectly (good enough to enjoyable watch an NFL game!) on an old Moto Q9c but sucks on my Diamond.

Appreciation is nice and all, but, since it seems to work well on the stock ROM, it seems that a fix should be possible.

well seeing as sprint tv broadcasts in 240x320 and the diamond is 480x640 no wonder it looks like crap on the diamond and not the moto Qc. the stock rom must look like crap too because all the cooks have done is rip out the sprint tv stuff from the stock ro mand cook it into a new one...

jonnythan 11-14-2008 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juggalo_X (Post 519317)
well seeing as sprint tv broadcasts in 240x320 and the diamond is 480x640 no wonder it looks like crap on the diamond and not the moto Qc. the stock rom must look like crap too because all the cooks have done is rip out the sprint tv stuff from the stock ro mand cook it into a new one...

It has nothing to do with the resolution differences.

Upscaling artifacts do not - or, at least, should not - make the audio lag the video, or make the video move at half speed.

Besides, my Diamond has the same screen resolution whether running Juicy or the stock ROM. I assume yours does too.

Please, if you're not going to be helpful, and claim that I'm a liar, just please stay out of the thread. Thanks.

fr4nk1yn 11-14-2008 02:55 PM

It SprintTV. While I do enjoy it I hardle EVER have had smooth sync'd video.
Not even on my Q9c, It plays about the same on custome ROMs, whe it's supported, as it does on my Q9c.

Donatom3 11-14-2008 03:00 PM

Anytime I've had an audio sync problem it's usually attributed to my signal. Which is why I'm wondering if you have tried the stock Sprint rom with the verizon radio you're running. I've heard that the Verizon radio while better on battery and heat isn't as efficient with the internet.

jonnythan 11-14-2008 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4nk1yn (Post 519359)
It SprintTV. While I do enjoy it I hardle EVER have had smooth sync'd video.
Not even on my Q9c, It plays about the same on custome ROMs, whe it's supported, as it does on my Q9c.

Last night, I went back and forth between the stock ROM and custom ROMs while watching the Jets game on the Q9c.

Every single time, the stock ROM ran great in portrait and landscape. And every single time, the custom ROMs were laggy and had sync issues in portrait and moved at half speed in landscape.

It's not Sprint TV and it's not the phone itself.

Donatom3 11-14-2008 03:50 PM

Jonny it might help to know which roms you've tried. I'm assuming Juggalo's new beta roms should work similarly to the kitchen I got from Tobey. So you may want to try his Sprint version out.

OMJ 11-14-2008 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnythan (Post 518992)
In every ROM I try, Sprint TV sucks. In portrait mode, audio and video are never synced. In full-screen mode, the video moves at half speed and skips handfuls of frames every couple of seconds to catch up. It's totally unwatchable.

But on the stock Sprint ROM, TV works beautifully.

Anyone know why this is? Is there any fix?

mine works fine.....maybe cuz it's based on the stock sprint rom...

nttdemented 11-14-2008 03:57 PM

Definitely, more info is needed. Jejejeje you sound like one of my non-technically-inclined customers who come up to me like: NO!! The server crashed because of such and such and I want you to fix it NOW!!!

I come back in exactly 2 minutes: "Sir the person that cleaned around the server rack yesterday accidentally broke the pin from one of the LAN cables, I just replaced the tip with a new one, everything is fine, the server never crashed and I regret that such a simple problem has cause such a large impact to your organization."

Rinse, repeat and make sure the next time the a**hole that cleans the racks is more careful.

Mr. X 11-14-2008 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nttdemented (Post 519520)
Definitely, more info is needed. Jejejeje you sound like one of my non-technically-inclined customers who come up to me like: NO!! The server crashed because of such and such and I want you to fix it NOW!!!

I come back in exactly 2 minutes: "Sir the person that cleaned around the server rack yesterday accidentally broke the pin from one of the LAN cables, I just replaced the tip with a new one, everything is fine, the server never crashed and I regret that such a simple problem has cause such a large impact to your organization."

Rinse, repeat and make sure the next time the a**hole that cleans the racks is more careful.

i once had a business thats backups would fail every wendsday on there server.

couldn't figure out why. until i went in on a Wednesday night and watched the cleaning lady attack they server keyboard with cleaner and her rag. started mashing the buttons.... talk about a 6 month pain in my arse.

jonnythan 11-14-2008 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nttdemented (Post 519520)

I'm a Cisco, Sun, Microsoft, and Lotus certified network admin ;)

Riley 11-14-2008 04:39 PM

I agree that Sprint Tv is not ideal, but it is one of the main things I use regularly. However, the performance is definitely weak on the Stock rom. I watched the NFL Network game for a bit last night but it was very choppy. The other channels work much better. I agree with the previous sentiment. If you value Sprint Tv, stay on the Stock rom for now. That is what I am doing most of the time. Being that it's including in the everything plan, I am not complaining and I bet they improve it in the next rom release.

ivan1.ruiz 11-15-2008 10:54 AM

I cooked a rom and sprint tv works fine with no lag but then again i believe is all about signal.

tobeychris 11-15-2008 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnythan (Post 519552)
I'm a Cisco, Sun, Microsoft, and Lotus certified network admin ;)

Then you should easily be able to understand how to cook, compare drivers and fix the issue yourself:)

SprintTouch08 11-15-2008 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnythan (Post 519333)

Upscaling artifacts do not - or, at least, should not - make the audio lag the video, or make the video move at half speed.

Besides, my Diamond has the same screen resolution whether running Juicy or the stock ROM. I assume yours does too.

Please, if you're not going to be helpful, and claim that I'm a liar, just please stay out of the thread. Thanks.

Totally uncalled for. This is why the cooks (Juicy, Juggs, Toby above) who do know wont help you due to this kinda attitude- notice how they all have viewed the thread thanking others and offer you no advice. Juggs was trying to troubleshoot and you talk to him like this with disrespect. Incredibly rude- and if you are so animate its not the resolution, then you should easily know whats "wrong" with it.

ivan1.ruiz 11-15-2008 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnythan View Post

I see that you want to make a point but with an attitude all you are going to accomplish is to get all the people you can get help from ignore you. Besides if you are so good at what you do then do us all a favor and go work for Microsoft's development team and fix all the glitches that WM devices have so "we" don't have to fix them for unappreciative people like yourself!!!

jonnythan 11-15-2008 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SprintTouch08 (Post 521270)
Totally uncalled for. This is why the cooks (Juicy, Juggs, Toby above) who do know wont help you due to this kinda attitude- notice how they all have viewed the thread thanking others and offer you no advice. Juggs was trying to troubleshoot and you talk to him like this with disrespect. Incredibly rude- and if you are so animate its not the resolution, then you should easily know whats "wrong" with it.

Juggs told me my perceptions were wrong and basically told me that I was a liar.

That was rude.

jonnythan 11-15-2008 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobeychris (Post 521112)
Then you should easily be able to understand how to cook, compare drivers and fix the issue yourself:)

I could with no problem if I invested the time, which I might do now.

I'm trying to explain that there is a problem, and everyone is telling me that the problem doesn't exist. It does exist. I know it exists. If you don't want to believe me, fine. If you want to insult me and tell me I'm wrong, fine.

I posted this thread to highlight a problem and see if we could find some way to fix it. No one offered help. No one even acknowledged the issue at all.

If you chefs are so offended, ignore it.

I'm sorry I insulted your precious ROMs by implying that they're not absolutely perfect and wonderful and kissing your asses.

Mr. X 11-15-2008 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnythan (Post 519333)

if you think you have the magic fix then cook a rom, otherwise go suck an egg, i didn't call you a liar i just put in my .02 on the subject so dont start flipping your wig over nothing.

i love how you have to audacity to complain about my work and or others but have not lifted a single finger or looked at a single byte to help figure out why the stock rom works better then the cooked ones. considering the fact that all we did was take out the stuff sprint tv depends on from the stock rom and port it to a cooked one. so, its a lil bit more then saying "if the stock one works it must be fixable" thats about the easiest part of the whole idea is to say that sentence. and if you're so sure its fixable put ur money where your mouth is and start helping otherwise. shut up with the crying and why dont you try to lend a constructive hand. *** **** im getting sick of sprint tv. om 50/50 on dropping the project now. it benefits me ZERO. so who am i doing it for? oh yah sprint users like you.... start bucking up guys and offer a little bit more then complaining and crying or im done with it. im a telus user i dont have sprint tv all i have to work off is the sprint users feed back and yours is less then helpful like most...

and i dont expect you to kiss my *** for my rom. i could care less if you like it or not. but you can kiss it for being a douche about this.

and for the record. the only thing that seems to lag is sprint tv. or so im told. so how do you expect me to test that./

Mr. X 11-15-2008 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnythan (Post 521296)
Juggs told me my perceptions were wrong and basically told me that I was a liar.

That was rude.

i did no such thing.

if i thought u were wrong, i would have told you to your face. and now you are a liar because like i said. i said no such thing. i did not tell you, you were wrong and i did not call you a liar.

i put in my .02

fatboypup 11-15-2008 03:26 PM

welp now that John has pissed all the cooks off hes gonna have to cook his own .... lol

tobeychris 11-15-2008 03:27 PM

Close this now.

Mr. X 11-15-2008 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatboypup (Post 521315)
welp now that John has pissed all the cooks off hes gonna have to cook his own .... lol

good and i hope he gets sprint tv working ever so flawlessly. so we dont have to listen to it any more.... oh wait Ivan has already done that.... but yet he says it don't work... or maybe he just didnt try all of the cooked roms.

now close the thread. PLZ

before i have more words or accusations put in my mouth.

Juicy47 11-15-2008 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobeychris (Post 521318)
Close this now.

+1 mods, close this thread

jonnythan 11-15-2008 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juggalo_X (Post 521301)
i love how you have to audacity to complain about my work and or others but have not lifted a single finger or looked at a single byte to help figure out why the stock rom works better then the cooked ones.

Dude, I'm not complaining about your work. I'm trying to highlight a problem - that SprintTV is demonstratably worse in every custom ROM I've tried than it is in the stock ROM. That's all. It's not a personal insult to you, so don't take it personally.

Quote:

start bucking up guys and offer a little bit more then complaining and crying or im done with it. im a telus user i dont have sprint tv all i have to work off is the sprint users feed back and yours is less then helpful like most...

I've offered in another thread (not your thread, because I hadn't tried your ROM before I started this thread) to do any testing or investigation needed for ROM makers to get to the bottom of this. I'm capable of cooking my own ROMs, but I have zero experience with it right now.

I might get into it, but it would take me weeks or months just to catch up to where guys like you and Juicy are right now.

I thought that by creating a thread about the problem and bringing it to light, we (myself and whatever other more experienced people were interested) might be able to figure it out somehow. I figured that if anyone isn't interested or doesn't care about SprintTV or its problems on custom ROMs that they'd just stay out of the thread.

Again, I'm willing to help out however I can. If you don't care about the issue, just leave it. I'm not personally attacking you or any ROM maker. I greatly, greatly appreciate the ROMs.

Quote:

and for the record. the only thing that seems to lag is sprint tv. or so im told. so how do you expect me to test that./

I never asked you to test that. I never asked you for anything at all, as a matter of fact. I'm more than happy to do any testing.

This isn't about you. Don't take it personally. I'm trying to highlight a problem. If you don't care or have zero interest in helping fix it, that's fine.

ivan1.ruiz 11-15-2008 03:32 PM

Quote:

now close the thread. PLZ
Amen to that my brotha

Mr. X 11-15-2008 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnythan (Post 521324)
Dude, I'm not complaining about your work. I'm trying to highlight a problem - that SprintTV is demonstratably worse in every custom ROM I've tried than it is in the stock ROM. That's all. It's not a personal insult to you, so don't take it personally.

im not like i said i don't care if any one likes y rom or not. i take personally when people put words in my mouth or accuse me of something i didn't do, such as tell you u were wrong, and call u a liar (initially)

i would have been more inclined ot return and offer help if you had not done this.

now seeing as this thread has acomplished nothing but ruffling feathers. its time to close it.

jonnythan 11-15-2008 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juggalo_X (Post 521334)
now seeing as this thread has acomplished nothing but ruffling feathers. its time to close it.

I agree. It's a shame that it has accomplished nothing, though.

Mr. X 11-15-2008 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnythan (Post 521336)
I agree. It's a shame that it has accomplished nothing, though.

you expected it to though? honest question.... even the thread title started this whole thread off on the wrong foot. and the fact that you didnt actually test all custom roms available.

Ivan's is 100% working... go figure it was cooked by a sprint user. i suggest you try his.

Dreading 11-15-2008 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juggalo_X (Post 521339)
you expected it to though? honest question.... even the thread title started this whole thread off on the wrong foot. and the fact that you didnt actually test all custom roms available.

I agree - when people use terms like that something "sucks" or that they are "tired" of having to flash all the time, it really puts the cooks, and even more often their fans on the defensive. It starts a fight, and often those of us that were just trying to provide helpful feedback in more appreciative terms get caught up in it and sometimes get lumped with the complainers.

So, users please remember that you have a choice of ROMS and you may need to decide what works best for you and your priorities. As hard as these guys work, technology always has limitations and there may never be an all around perfect ROM. If you want to offer some criticism, remember that forums do not allow people to see your facial expression, hear your tone, etc. Therefore, word choice becomes VERY important. Also, remember to acknowledge what is working well and thank them for their hardwork.

And cooks and fans, please try not to lump all of us that try to provide constructive feedback in with the folks that are a little less than sensitive in their presentations.

NinjaMom 11-15-2008 04:34 PM

I am closing this thread. When I get on my laptop I will be issuing infractions for all of you who got carried away and decided to ignore the no cussing rule.

For future reference, not everyone is going to like you work. That is life. You just gotta deal with it.

And for those with issues , if you can't find something that works for you.... Whining will get you nowhere . Do something about it.